NYC FC Branding

ksupilot

I am just hoping that the NYFC front office will listen to their supporters with respect to the logo and make changes appropriate to what looks the best for the identity of the club. You have seen it in the past with clubs saying they are open to suggestions and ideas from their supporters. But as soon as supporters make appropriate suggestions to the club, the club turns a blind eye saying it's not "fiscally responsible" or "the right fit for the the club", etc. The club doesn't look like they have egg on their face when accusations of not being open to supporters. A two sided sword...

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am just hoping that the NYFC front office will listen to their supporters with respect to the logo and make changes appropriate to what looks the best for the identity of the club. You have seen it in the past with clubs saying they are open to suggestions and ideas from their supporters. But as soon as supporters make appropriate suggestions to the club, the club turns a blind eye saying it's not "fiscally responsible" or "the right fit for the the club", etc. The club doesn't look like they have egg on their face when accusations of not being open to supporters. A two sided sword...

Everton FC fell short of consulting the fans over this years logo change. The fans were up in arms and after consultation they are going to have another logo at the start of next season. Clubs still have to remember that the fanbase is their bread and butter and to have them involved in the process saves alot of time and money.

glory10.png

I like your mashup better than the original shield. But not sure I like it better than the token...

Sell it to me.

Oh, the token's nice. I'll grant you that. Although I don't think the text works perfectly there; it leaves a lot of empty blue space, not ideal for a roundel. I personally would also change the inner circle to white, leaving the monogram as the only element.

That's what I think works best with the mash-up. The monogram instantly stands out, being the only white against a dark background. In addition, the shield shape would make it unique within MLS (which already has one roundel and one almost- roundel), and global football as a whole. Nobody has that shape, which is itself uniquely NYC. I just didn't think the rest of the design did justice to the shape, hence the tweaks to make it all work together.

Everton FC fell short of consulting the fans over this years logo change. The fans were up in arms and after consultation they are going to have another logo at the start of next season. Clubs still have to remember that the fanbase is their bread and butter and to have them involved in the process saves alot of time and money.

I agree with your sentiment fully. Without the supporters, clubs would not exist. But most clubs forget that or at least try not acknowledge it.

http://t.co/HRhguZAWut

I would buy this today if I saw it

Yep, that's very cool. Also shows, I think, that the white monogram looks great on its own (and what a great color scheme navy and sky can be).

Anyway, today's the last day to vote. 5:00 PM EST, it's all in the club's hands.

What you say would make a lot of sense if a majority of the NYCFC supporters were up in arms about the logo options...

That said, I kind of fail to see 1) that there is actually a strong and vocal "fan base" in place already, 2) that none of the given options pleases the crowds already, and 3) that there is any concencus what the ideal logo would look like if it's not the shield or roundel that are on the ballot now.

"What I love most is the monogram. It's quite challenging to come up with a fresh lock up for the three ubiquitous letters: N, Y, and C."

- Rafael Esquer, creator of the NYCFC badges

Wow. I couldn't agree less.

The longer I look at Rafael Esquer's two final badge designs for NYCFC, the more irksome the NYC font becomes in my opinion. It strikes me as being so pared-down as to be generically devoid of any aesthetic appeal whatsoever. Further, the thin width of the letters accentuates what I consider to be the ridiculous difference in size between the N and the Y and C.

I look at either of Mr. Esquer's NYCFC badge designs, as well as the fan mashup of the two of them, and all I can see is a missed opportunity. Alas, Milo Kowlaski spoiled me with these beauties...

nycfc_brand_id_skyblue_23_2x.jpg

nycfc_brand_id_presentation_v16.jpg

True, I love Milo's design as well, but Esquer had to work under constraints that Milo dod not.

You have to remember that a more elaborate interlocking monogram very well might be what provoked the Yankees' veto, and I'm quite certain they would consider Milo's monogram too similar to their own.

I like the official NYCFC monogram. Neither design is bad, but the NYCFC roundel has a timeless soccer badge look that seems like it was originally drawn up in 1914, not 2014, and in this case, that is a very, very, very good thing.

Milo's is spectacular too, don't take what i'm saying as it being a bad mark. It most certainly is not.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

You have to remember that a more elaborate interlocking monogram very well might be what provoked the Yankees' veto...

I'm sure that it did.

... I'm quite certain they would consider Milo's monogram too similar to their own.

Undoubtedly.

Still, there's a middle-ground that exists between what I consider to be Mr. Kowalski's more elegant interlocking NYC and Mr. Esquer's too-spare monogram. I wish the latter designer had settled upon interlocking text that inhabited said middle territory, rather than the gaunt-in-the-extreme font he went with.

I have come to like Esquer's more. It has elegance and uniqueness.

I wish I shared your enthusiasm for it. What you see as speaking to an "elegance and uniqueness", I regard as spindly and generic.

Ah, well... to each their own. I was really quite excited to see what NYCFC would settle upon. Still, the minute I heard that Yankees management had raised concerns about the potential logo, my heart sank. I suspected that anything approaching Mr. Kowalski's handsome monogram was destined for the proverbial cutting-room floor. Such is the case... at least in my opinion.

I like the official NYCFC monogram. Neither design is bad, but the NYCFC roundel has a timeless soccer badge look that seems like it was originally drawn up in 1914, not 2014, and in this case, that is a very, very, very good thing.

Milo's is spectacular too, don't take what i'm saying as it being a bad mark. It most certainly is not.

It does have a true football club crest that was drawn up in the past not just this year. I like it alot, especially with inspiration from subway tokens and the five points!

Archived