NYC FC Branding

ksupilot

At least we're beyond silly "North American" names like Burn and Clash (though sadly not Galaxy). I'd gladly take "FC" over those any day.

The trouble with those is less about North American naming conventions and more about terrible names from the x-treme 90s.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And here in Seattle, I'd say I hear the team being referred to Sounders FC more than Seattle Sounders. So even though there is the nickname, I feel it's more like the Euro model of Arsenal or Inter.

FWIW, I've only ever called them "Sounders" in casual conversation. The only place I heard "Sounders FC" is on the broadcasts or at the stadium.

I stand corrected, I meant Sounders (or Sounders FC) without the Seattle in front.

• 1 month later...

Bringing this back because there is a rumored third kit that could be on the way in jersey week. (March 2-6)

nycthird.jpg

design is alright but I still don't like the man city look. I don't think this is real but you never know.

jaker52sig.png

signatureofteams.jpg

MUNCHEN LOWEN (WAFA) GULF SHORES OSPREYS (IBL)

I seem to recall a club president saying that the league wants to move away from 3rds, but can't remember who.

I've heard from people who ought to know that the league won't let NYCFC or Orlando adopt a third for the first two years, until they solidify their brands. But can't confirm that anywhere.

Where did this idea of MLS doing away with 3rds come from? I've seen it multiple times on here and twitter but have never seen a source for it.

I seem to recall a club president saying that the league wants to move away from 3rds, but can't remember who.

I've heard from people who ought to know that the league won't let NYCFC or Orlando adopt a third for the first two years, until they solidify their brands. But can't confirm that anywhere.

I think it's just people that see that Orlando and NYC dont have them yet take that as an indicator. I doubt there really is anything up with that.

jaker52sig.png

signatureofteams.jpg

MUNCHEN LOWEN (WAFA) GULF SHORES OSPREYS (IBL)

The history of the MLS no-more-third-kit rumor is thus: Last year there was an interview with the NYRB president saying the league is discouraging third kits in response to a story about why they don't have a Metrostars-esque third. More recently was this tweet by a reputable MLS journo: https://twitter.com/thegoalkeeper/status/559898947985346560

In every case recently, expansion teams introduced any possible third kit in their second year in the league: Montreal (black-striped), Portland (white), Vancouver (brown), Philadelphia (white), Seattle (neon fluorescent nightmare).

So there are two data points that suggest that NYCFC "third" is a fake. I could fathom that MLS might see dollar signs with NYCFC and would be willing to bend the rules in this case, but that's pure speculation. (Speaking of speculation and branding, I'd imagine the league would prefer NYCFC to stay away from navy to prevent further overlap with SKC.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I'm going to call BS. If you look down the twitter conversation he states that it's Adidas that's cracking down on no more 3rds... Now if we know anything on these boards its that Nike and Adidas will do anything to show off a new template or make some extra $$ so that just seems to go against everything we know about them.

I think this is more of a case of the MLS having a rule agaisnt 3rds in the first year or two which is not uncommon in the USA sports scene. NFL doesn't allow an alt for the first year in most cases.

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

I'm headed to New York in two weeks. I'd love to have been able to see an NYCFC game, but I might just settle for picking up a scarf.

They've got a really nice brand.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived