MLB throwback/special uniform thread

ThorSkaagi

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alternate for the Tigers. MAJOR shock value.BQcYrKoCIAExlS4.jpg

Looks like a spanish version of the 1960 jerseys. Not bad back when first latino player for tigers played.

Just got back from the Tigers' game tonight. These uniforms looked surprisingly nice in person. Detroit has a pretty large Mexican population, and it seemed like pretty much every one of them came tonight. Mexican band played before the game... it was all rather cool, to be honest with you.

If they decide to honor Dearborn, will we have the first jersey rendered in Naskh script?

النمور

That would be fun. I endorse this.

The old Mariners throwbacks.

cap1.jpg

jersey1.jpg

That jersey is hideous. They're mixing eras - the star-trident logo replaced this one, didn't run concurrently.

How is it hideous? The star-trident logo was used for the 1979 All-Star game in Seattle.

Besides the mismatched logos from different eras, it's just flat out hideous. Nothing even close to the current beauties. The M-Trident is highly overrated. You really can't even tell its a trident, truthfully, without the full-length handle. Which if you added that, would make it even more awkward looking. The whole thing just looks gimmicky. The compass rose-ball logo looks more simple/modern and classy. And the colors are far superior for a team named the Mariners.

cap1.jpg

jersey1.jpg

That jersey is hideous. They're mixing eras - the star-trident logo replaced this one, didn't run concurrently.

How is it hideous? The star-trident logo was used for the 1979 All-Star game in Seattle.

Besides the mismatched logos from different eras, it's just flat out hideous. Nothing even close to the current beauties. The M-Trident is highly overrated. You really can't even tell its a trident, truthfully, without the full-length handle. Which if you added that, would make it even more awkward looking. The whole thing just looks gimmicky. The compass rose-ball logo looks more simple/modern and classy. And the colors are far superior for a team named the Mariners.

cap1.jpg

jersey1.jpg

I happen to like the trident M. And besides, this is a discussion about THROWBACK uniforms. This is a throwback uniform. It could be alot worse, such as the 1987-1992 uniforms.

cap1.jpg

jersey1.jpg

cap1.jpg

jersey1.jpg

I happen to like the trident M. And besides, this is a discussion about THROWBACK uniforms. This is a throwback uniform. It could be alot worse, such as the 1987-1992 uniforms.

I don't know what Goth finds hideous about the jersey, it's clean. But what is bad, is the "ariners". It's not clean. You have a nice sanserif/avante guard font for the numbers, but the lettering is just all over the place.

Vertmarin, aka Phantom Dreamer, makes a good point here that the jersey is quite clean. The blue and gold color scheme just doesn't work though, especially on the 1987-1992 monstrosities. I personally like the script on the original unis, call the "ariners" part unclean if you want. But the Romanesque font of the early Griffey era was the true flop.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Vertmarin, aka Phantom Dreamer, makes a good point here that the jersey is quite clean. The blue and gold color scheme just doesn't work though, especially on the 1987-1992 monstrosities. I personally like the script on the original unis, call the "ariners" part unclean if you want. But the Romanesque font of the early Griffey era was the true flop.

I'm not Phantom Dreamer. Who is Phantom Dreamer? I was referred to as such in another thread. I like the old trident jerseys. They make better throwbacks than the uniforms of the late 1980s. Nothing about the late 1980s uniforms says "Mariners". It wasn't so much the Romanesque letters that bothered me, but the "M's" logo. Nothing about it says "Mariners". At least with the current uniforms, you have the compass rose, and the 70s/early 80s has the trident.

I wish I could've gotten the Beirbrauer jersey.... *sigh* :(

The Beirbrauer jersey is the one that irks me the most. The team is called the BREWERS, not the "BEER BREWER," and therefore should've read "BRAUERS."

I was lucky enough to get a game used Brewers YOUniform after the original buyer backed out! Received it the other day and it is amazing...pictures to follow for sure. Dark navy with good trim, unique but readable font, beerman logo...best jersey of the season?

I went to Miller Park for the first time yesterday and saw the Youniform. It's really awesome. I wanted to get the hat but I got the alternate BP hat they wore against the Cards in May. I'll buy it online another time.

I wouldn't be surprised if all MLB hats switched to the BP material. It's really nice and the different embroidery is amazing for some logos.

The only time I've ever found caps from the current Brewers identity to be somewhat tolerable were both BP caps (early 2000s with the Wisconsin outline, and the current).

I'm not Phantom Dreamer. Who is Phantom Dreamer? I was referred to as such in another thread. I like the old trident jerseys. They make better throwbacks than the uniforms of the late 1980s. Nothing about the late 1980s uniforms says "Mariners". It wasn't so much the Romanesque letters that bothered me, but the "M's" logo. Nothing about it says "Mariners". At least with the current uniforms, you have the compass rose, and the 70s/early 80s has the trident.

This reminds me too much of Cody. "I'm not Cody. Who's this Cody guy?"

spacer.png

The Beirbrauer jersey is the one that irks me the most. The team is called the BREWERS, not the "BEER BREWER," and therefore should've read "BRAUERS."

I imagine they did that because Brauers would be too similar to Brewers and would look like a typo. It wasn't distinguished enough from the regular jersey. As a similar example, when I first saw the Tigers' Spanish jersey, I glanced over it and my eyes read "Tigers," not "Tigres". The Tigers might sell some of those jerseys because they are different enough from the home set, but if their regular home jersey read "Tigers," I doubt they would sell many "Tigres" jerseys, other than to people who similarly didn't read it correctly.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I was lucky enough to get a game used Brewers YOUniform after the original buyer backed out! Received it the other day and it is amazing...pictures to follow for sure. Dark navy with good trim, unique but readable font, beerman logo...best jersey of the season?

I went to Miller Park for the first time yesterday and saw the Youniform. It's really awesome. I wanted to get the hat but I got the alternate BP hat they wore against the Cards in May. I'll buy it online another time.

I wouldn't be surprised if all MLB hats switched to the BP material. It's really nice and the different embroidery is amazing for some logos.

The only time I've ever found caps from the current Brewers identity to be somewhat tolerable were both BP caps (early 2000s with the Wisconsin outline, and the current).

illwauk, I don't believe a translation of the word "Brewer" alone is all that simple, or even possible, in German. Also, "Brauers" would never happen. Not every language is like English in having the simple ability to slap an "s" on the end to signify plurality.

As an example of the research the organization has done to get their translations correct, I recall a crisis-averted situation with the Italian heritage jersey. Originally supposed to read "Birraioli," the front office changed the jersey script to instead read "Birrai," after it was deemed that "Birraioli" was akin to "heavy drinkers." Good call by whoever was in charge of that project.

illwauk, I don't believe a translation of the word "Brewer" alone is all that simple, or even possible, in German. Also, "Brauers" would never happen. Not every language is like English in having the simple ability to slap an "s" on the end to signify plurality.

As an example of the research the organization has done to get their translations correct, I recall a crisis-averted situation with the Italian heritage jersey. Originally supposed to read "Birraioli," the front office changed the jersey script to instead read "Birrai," after it was deemed that "Birraioli" was akin to "heavy drinkers." Good call by whoever was in charge of that project.

A friend of a friend whose from Germany tells me "Brauer" would be an acceptable translation for Brewers. Apparently the difference is that Germans feel it necessary to distinguish the type of brewing one does (beer, coffee, etc.) whereas here, "brewer" is presumed to reference beer making.

I collect baseball cards of players in throwback jerseys, or when possible jersey swatches of throwback jerseys. I'm thinking this might be a swatch of the 2007 Throwback game the Tigers played as 1977 Road team against Cleveland. I can't find any other jersey since Verlander has been on the team (2011 or earlier) that has the Orange/White/Blue combination except that jersey, on the sleeves and collar. Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks.

T2eC16NHJHQFFh3wTjZtBR14JfeBg60_57_zpscf

Carlos Guillen game-used from same game.

Guillen01-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

http://butattheendoftheday.com/2013/09/11/the-911-flag-patch-caps-new-era-is-selling-you-isnt-exactly-the-same-as-the-ones-the-players-are-wearing/

How come the flag patch placement the players are using is different than the ones they are selling to us? And the patch placement on the players are so inconsistent.

Go A's!

http://butattheendoftheday.com/2013/09/11/the-911-flag-patch-caps-new-era-is-selling-you-isnt-exactly-the-same-as-the-ones-the-players-are-wearing/

How come the flag patch placement the players are using is different than the ones they are selling to us? And the patch placement on the players are so inconsistent.

The flags are sticker patches being added to the regular caps. The teams didn't get all-new caps with embroidered flags. Last night, the Red Sox had the flag patches stuck on the sides of the base coaches' helmets and on the Boston Strong jersey they hang in the dugout.

The flags are sticker patches being added to the regular caps. The teams didn't get all-new caps with embroidered flags. Last night, the Red Sox had the flag patches stuck on the sides of the base coaches' helmets and on the Boston Strong jersey they hang in the dugout.

Yeah, I figured that much -- that the flag patches were all applied to the player's current caps. I wondered why the difference in placement of the flag

Go A's!

Yeah, I figured that much -- that the flag patches were all applied to the player's current caps. I wondered why the difference in placement of the flag

Could be for performance reasons. It somehow seems less disruptive of the fit/feel of the cap when the flag is placed closer to that further back seam.

Archived