MLB throwback/special uniform thread

ThorSkaagi

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's kinda their thing. The White Sox used to change jerseys every month-and-a-half, and since they've settled into their current uniform they need to get crazy every now and again.

Well that's kinda fun then. I love when teams wear uniforms they wouldn't normally wear.

Vertmarin, aka Phantom Dreamer, makes a good point here that the jersey is quite clean. The blue and gold color scheme just doesn't work though, especially on the 1987-1992 monstrosities. I personally like the script on the original unis, call the "ariners" part unclean if you want. But the Romanesque font of the early Griffey era was the true flop.

I'm not Phantom Dreamer. Who is Phantom Dreamer? I was referred to as such in another thread. I like the old trident jerseys. They make better throwbacks than the uniforms of the late 1980s. Nothing about the late 1980s uniforms says "Mariners". It wasn't so much the Romanesque letters that bothered me, but the "M's" logo. Nothing about it says "Mariners". At least with the current uniforms, you have the compass rose, and the 70s/early 80s has the trident.

The Mariners best look was 1985 and 1986. That was a fun looking home/road set. Bring them back for next year and just enjoy it and keep them forever. However with Majestic's infamous bagginess and plunging neckline, a crewneck pullover would work better than a v-neck. Don't forget the sansabelt knickers and their stripes! By now, hopefully the culture has changed and there can be an agreement on how nonsensical button-front baseball jerseys and belted pants are. Bring back 1980s inspired athletic wear please, for every team.

Sure. Just leave my Brewers out of it.

The Crew can bring everything from that era back except pullovers and sansabelts.

... as long as it's this version of the jersey:

59161a_lg.jpeg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

The old Mariners throwbacks.

cap1.jpg

jersey1.jpg

That jersey is hideous. They're mixing eras - the star-trident logo replaced this one, didn't run concurrently.

How is it hideous? The star-trident logo was used for the 1979 All-Star game in Seattle.

Cap is great. Very well done. Forcing the M trident into the wordmark is too much. Either simply use the M trident on the left chest, alone, or do a straight type treatment of the MARINERS and this would be a great look.

Never liked that wordmark. Not even at the time.

If they're going to use a script, this one is much better:

1948_MajesticJersey_wordmark.jpg

/Brewjack

That wordmark is awful. The sharpness of the R diametrically contrasts with the roundness of the wordmark. And what's up with the S? Four areas of disjointed patches of blue, just on that one letter alone. No thanks.

Any way you slice it, there are going to be particular flaws in cursive lettering on a baseball uniform. Unless, of course, there aren't, in which case the flaw is that there are no flaws, like the Indians or Phillies scripts that no human being could have made by hand, which wind up in what I suppose would be the Uncanny Valley of sports uniforms.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Any way you slice it, there are going to be particular flaws in cursive lettering on a baseball uniform. Unless, of course, there aren't, in which case the flaw is that there are no flaws, like the Indians or Phillies scripts that no human being could have made by hand, which wind up in what I suppose would be the Uncanny Valley of sports uniforms.

So then what is the purpose of a wordmark? To have the best one you can, or to have one that looks like it was drawn by hand, I say the former.

I like the Indians' wordmark, but not the Phillies', regardless of if they look like they could have been drawn by hand.

So then what is the purpose of a wordmark? To have the best one you can, or to have one that looks like it was drawn by hand, I say the former.

I like the Indians' wordmark, but not the Phillies', regardless of if they look like they could have been drawn by hand.

I follow exactly what Admiral is talking about, though. And I fall on the other side of the argument from Eye. I think a script logo that looks like it was crafted by human hands is far preferable to one that looks like a font. It's just warmer and seems more traditional (which is something that would be arguably more important in a baseball uniform than say in a football uniform).

Never liked that wordmark. Not even at the time.

If they're going to use a script, this one is much better:

1948_MajesticJersey_wordmark.jpg

/Brewjack

That wordmark is awful. The sharpness of the R diametrically contrasts with the roundness of the wordmark. And what's up with the S? Four areas of disjointed patches of blue, just on that one letter alone. No thanks.

The r's in that script are completely different styles when they don't need to be. The e's are different too. The transition from the r to the e is not nearly as smooth as the blue and yellow version. The B looks like it's the same font as the Dodgers. And the s is way too much. Overall, it makes for a ridiculously clunky script. I'd take the blue and yellow version in a heartbeat over this one. It's much better.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Haven't seen it mentioned yet, but since retiring his number on Sunday 9/22, the Yanks have worn patches on their selves and caps with the "Mariano Rivera Final Season" logo. It's unknown if they will be worn on the road as well.

new-york-yankees-relief-pitcher-mariano-

390d70f697708b203e0f6a70670099ed.jpg

img23862803.jpg

Kinda funny that Rivera's wearing a patch with his own name on it.

Archived