HFBoards Bad Comment Aggregator Thread

"BayStreetBully" on numbers and despots:

The difference between Mario's 66 and Gordie's 9 is like the difference between Adolf Hitler and Joseph Stalin. Both known for being evil leaders. No one will name their kid Adolf anymore. But Joseph is a common enough name that who would ever associate the name Joseph with Stalin.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you know that it takes an actual reference for me to be reminded that Patrick Kane once did...whatever it is that he and some friend of his did to a cab driver, right?

Meanwhile, even with the knowledge that he killed a man, I still don't think Daniel Heatley gets enough attention for what a douchebag he really is. Maybe it's because he's Jonathan Cheechoo'd his way to NHL irrelevance in a small market, I don't know, but it feels like he never even gets talked about anymore.

spacer.png

I come to you with "bad sports ideas"

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1688125

I mean couldn't the NHL start their playoff schedule (which prob means moving reg. season too) at least a week earlier or later? Would it be that bad???

This is my one gripe with NHL in America. I know alot of general sports fans that only focus on NBA playoffs, then they will switch to another sport when it's over. Imagine how many curious or bored viewers the NHL finals would attract if they werent happening at the exact same time as the NBA finals?

Is there a reason for this, or is Bettman just stupid?

Yeah, you know, have the Stanley Cup Final compete with the NBA Playoffs every single night rather than alternate like it did this year. Also it's only the way it is this year due to the Olympic break.

I think if you ask American casuals, their most watched sport during this time will be NBA, and I can bet most don't tune into NHL playoffs on off-days.

I simply think those kind of fans (the "mass" audience) would give NHL a chance if there is no NBA finals on. They have a "Choose one at a time to follow." mentality.

which thankfully someone replied

So you don't think they will bother with the NHL on off days but you think they will bother with the NHL when the NBA finals are over

There's also some stuff about starting the season no later than September 5th because regardless of the fact it ends hockey before June you'd love to have the first round of the playoffs right in the middle of the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament, right?

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I'd be fine with pushing the whole schedule back a week and tightening it up a little bit. Start on the closest Monday to October 1st, end on the closest Sunday to March 31st -- or in other words, get rid of that lone April week of regular-season play that always seems to hang around and be annoying. Even in non-Olympic years, we're not finishing the Stanley Cup Final until the middle of June, and that's a little silly.

EDIT: so let's say this wasn't an Olympic year, because nothing was really gained by dropping everything to go to Feral Dog City and watch Canada be the best in the world at Canada's game. Could have started on Monday, September 30th, finished on Monday, March 31st for 82 games in 183 days. Get the playoffs started on Thursday, April 3rd, maaaybe you can finish out by May 31st if you're lucky.

Granted, I didn't do much in the way of research, but the easiest way they can tighten up the schedule is combining closely-located teams (like Tampa/Florida, Rangers/Islanders/Devils, Anaheim/Los Angeles, etc) for 6-8 game road trips....as well as scheduling more home-and-homes.

Of course, arena schedules factor into this (most arenas haves more shows during the cooler months than the warmer, some arenas have NBA/NHL-shared buildings), and if I remember correctly, teams prefer an easier first month of the season (in terms of the number of games) so that they have more time for practices early on in the season.

Do you mean like going west and playing two with the Ducks and two with the Kings and being done with them in one fell swoop? That sounds a little like that Phoenix/Anaheim series in the lockout season where they played three straight games, and people didn't like that. I think most teams east of the Rockies already twin their visits with the Kings and Ducks. I know the Hawks do, and hit Florida and LI/NJ at once this year as well.

A while back, I was on youtube and watched postgame interviews from some '80s Stanley Cup win involving the Oilers or Flames. There was a remark about how this was the first season to end after Memorial Day. Now we're lucky if the third round is over by Memorial Day.

Well, not just for Eastern teams going west (or Western teams going east), but in the conference/division games too. For example (by my count), the Panthers made four different trips to New York to play 5 games between the Rangers, Devils, and Islanders. Carolina made six different trips to NYC metro. Carolina made four separate trips to eastern Canada to play four games against the Leafs, Canadiens, and Senators. Colorado made three different trips to southern California to play three games againt the Kings and Ducks.

I remember the Thrashers would make like 4-6 trips to NYC each season to play a total of six games against those three teams.

These could be condensed to two trips, especially when it comes to border crossing and going through Customs.

• 2 weeks later...

Shaw was one of the prospects pre-draft of his class that I posted we ought to draft ...I was proved correct except I had not expected we would take him as early as the 5th round...given his age as a 20 old I had expected him to go in the last round ..but thank goodness on this one the Hawks were astute enough to grab him earlier in the 5th...but he has been exactly what we needed and as described by me then... NOW today the debate is whether he is better at centre or wing and whether he can be a 2C solution or not --if not then we are apparently so desperate for a 2C that we must go and get a so-called quote LEGIT unquote NHL proven 2C like Kesler...may I remind everyone that kesler has been no ball of fire over the last 3 seasons and injury-prone and a combined -20 over the last 2 seasons ...MAYBE he ainèt so great anymore...Shaw in only a season and a half in the NHL improved to 20 goals already and that some from PP work but also mostly used only as a 3rd line player in 5x5...remember he was drafted as a CENTRE because he played as a 2C full time in his draft year and impressed in that role for his OWEN SOUND Jr. club . Now as an NHL 2C with Kane and Saad ===I think you could project a jump to 55-60 pts for him at least which are LEGIT 2C numbers...now he needs to be better at face-offs for sure...so I hope he works on that aspect this summer...and he still can get better defensively in his own zone but that is also for the coaches to teach him better positioning and reads in that aspect of the game...but as far as o-zone fore-check and puck retrieval for getting it back to Saad and Kane and then going to the net for screens and rebounds --he is bewtter already than Kesler in that aspect...for scoring off rushes or on shots off the rush ...no Kesler better in those aspects...but the point is he is younger and improving and cheaper than the cost of Kesler and so I would just stay with him at 2C ---improve those face-offs and d-zone areas and we shall be fine...THUS the real need is to improve the 3C...I do not want Kruger in that role because he is so good as a 4C...Hopefully Carey or Rasmussen can take the 3C role ,,,note that I have not plugged in TT as a centre because I am still not sure if that will be his best position on the Hawks...maybe he fits better as a LW ....Defensively we saw that TT was already fine as a centre--but his play showed he has not yet adapted to the smaller NA rinks offensively YET which is supposed to be his greatest ability...also it seems his style of play does NOT MESH to the style KANE prefers (IMO) because TT gets rid of the puck fast off rushes and you need quick snipers and bang-bang conversions....Kane likes to slow plays down...dangle and control the puck then strike or he takes it all himself to score--he is not a bang-bang sniper type nor is Saad...so in that casse--if TT played centre he may be better setting up SHARP..and so if Sharp is now only 5rd line LW because they keep Bickell up with Toews and Hossa to create space for them --it would mean only a 3C role for TT --if he played centre---but maybe they prefer to play him as a 1C in Rockford for a year till he gets his offense going in the NA smaller rink game --then slide him to 3C if they think that is better than Carey or Rasmussen in that job...OR they could move him to LW if they move Sharo NEXT YEAR ...or trade him next year if his NA offense never materializes for whatever reason..TT has to earn some job but unless he proves he can score some goals or is essential as a set-up guy for a sniper like Sharp OR can adapt to the style of a line with Kane and make more impact than Shaw can--unless he does any of that ,it remains a mystery as to where when and how best if at all TT helps the Hawks get better ...until he proves he can do that in some role ,whatever it is, it remains moot as to whether we use him at all,,in that case SHAW is still the more valuable commodity for this team...but if TT can show adaptation to the NHL rinks and game such that he impacts and shows he can help line 2 more than Shaw can--THEN they can always move Shaw back to line 3 as a RW ---a very nice insurance policy because Sharp at LW Carey or Rasmussen at C and Shaw at RW probably is a great third line combo anyway..or they move Sharp back to line 1 and Bickell to line 3 for the regular season then switch them again for playoffs...Point is we have good depth now to give Q lots of options...Except for face-offs --I cannot see Shaw really blowing his chance at 2C...TT would need to be great in camp and prove he would be a better option there NOW ---otherwise he either competes for the 3C job or goes to Rockford till he proves he is impactful in the NA game...TT is still only 19 so he has time to adapt and make this proof he can help us somewhere ---whether that time is now or a year from now --that will be determined at camp and pre-season.but SHAW we KNOW helps us NOW.

_50755467_jex_922252_de27-1.jpg

"BayStreetBully" on numbers and despots:

The difference between Mario's 66 and Gordie's 9 is like the difference between Adolf Hitler and Joseph Stalin. Both known for being evil leaders. No one will name their kid Adolf anymore. But Joseph is a common enough name that who would ever associate the name Joseph with Stalin.

Would have been a better comparison had he used Bobby Hull.

Bless his heart, but "TBLightning24" (previously "NYRangers1979") has the biggest fan-crush on a player I have ever seen in my life. Anything to defend Ryan Callahan's honor. It's incredible to watch, really.

I'm no fan at all of the contract Ryan Callahan's going to get, and I'm getting increasingly sad that it appears it will come from Tampa Bay that he gets that contract. Undersized physical players who are mediocre 5v5 and have only one season with more than 50 points while nearing 30 don't deserve 6 year/$6M per type contracts. I don't get it.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Poster "harro92" is curious about sports logos:

I've always been intrigued when people make new logos for teams they normally look sick, would love to see peoples designs, not sure if there is a thread for this already but would love a post of the designs and such thanks guys

To which poster "Moen in Glory" responds:

You should check the best website/forum on the subject:

http://www.****************/

And this thread in particular:

http://boards.****************/topic...-super-league/

Cheers

Edit: No outside link? wth

Google "sportslogos" and you'll find it...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

WE'RE CENSORED, THEY WON'T LINK TO US

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

We're on the same level to them as Twitter and Bleacher Report. They must know.

Someone with an account there go ask why.

I'm afraid.

I mean, I actually noticed this same thing during a discussion on the Lightning board about a month or so ago, and never bothered to figure out a reason why. Maybe I should've made note of it here, but I decided against it. Now that it's out in the open, well, umm...huh, how 'bout that?

spacer.png

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1705485&page=3

User "SpeedDemon" really has his foot on the gas:

I've been calling for Snow's head on a platter since he traded Niederreiter. I've been calling for twice that much when he traded Moulson. If he ships out Grabner, I don't care if the return is Toews and Kane, he better consider himself a marked man if he does so.

- so if he traded Grabner for Toews and Kane you would be mad? It would never happen but you still can be serious...

let's simply say I'd be pulling my hairs out to keep from taking "appropriate measures." I'm not going to go into detail. I've already had the SS and local intelligence at my doorstep for being to vocal on a particular issue

- I hope your joking.. I love Hockey and bleed blue and orange but man its a game that literally has no effect on our lives.

"appropriate measures" That's just down right scary, I hope your smarter than that.

well ....... I do like to go a bit overboard when expressing my sharp disagreements about decisions made by management. (ex- when I said I was calling for Snow's head on the Niederreiter trade what I really implied was I wanted his dismissal as Isles GM).

but I do not lie when I say I have received visits from the SS. I am also heavily active in several political forums (under different names of course) in many of which I am no longer welcome.

bloody liberals. go figure.

SpeedDemon

homer-simpson-bush-gif.gif

Congratulations, you've learned what I've known for years

The Islanders fanbase is absolutely positively bat :censored: insane and are quite frankly the most stupid hockey fans I've ever met. Some of the stuff on #ISLESCONSPIRACY Twitter (so, #ISLESTWITTER) I've seen, man...

ffMc5dZ.png

Isles conspiracy? There's no conspiracy keeping the Isles down. This is just what happens when you name your backup goalie the gm.

SHHHH DON'T TELL THE HOARDS OF ISLANDER FANS THAT BLAME BETTMAN AND THE REFS AND PENGUINS/RANGERS FAVORITISM (okay, and Wang, which is reasonable) OVER EVERYTHING THAT GOES WRONG

ffMc5dZ.png

• 3 weeks later...

In which HFBoards and the CCSLC go through the looking glass together again:

Interestingly I came across a link to a chat board in a search for something Glendale-Coyotes related through google not long ago, a chat board that was apparently "reviewing" hf Boards Phoenix Megathread couple of years back & our discussions/coverage of everything.... I was being referred to as the "Always Incoherent Killion". And ya, I laughed out loud on that one. Pretty weird though. A chat board reviewing another chat board. Bizarre.

Archived