Baltimore Ravens tweak jerseys for 2013

tv15

And Raiders.

Carson+Palmer+Detroit+Lions+v+Oakland+Ra

They're the one team that I think could've benefited from new jerseys the most. You can literally see the shoulder pads through their jerseys. They seem so outdated. They could've even gone the bucs/cowboys route and kept the shiny pants.
Oakland gets their jerseys and stuff from an outside manufacturer they just slap on whatever marks the nfl tells them to, like the swoosh, nfl shield ect. Theyve been doing that even with reebok

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ravens definitely made the wrong move, in terms of which color to make their collar.

Making it solid purple was an improvement, but solid black would've made much more sense.

The sleeve cuffs are still black... Not to mention, the previous set (before Nike), had solid black collars and cuffs.

Hmm...

I disagree. Changing to a HUGE full black color would look pretty bad, in my opinion. The Nike collars are ridiculously large and look terrible in a color separate from the jersey colors (see Texans, Broncos).

arian-foster.jpgnike_champ2.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Can someone do a quick concept of these images (or just one) with a more narrow collar in the front? I am curious to see how much a narrow (proper) looking collar would benefit the uniforms. It would seem that the only shrinking thats needed is to form the front collar to shrink the front collar to the height of the NFL shield.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Because no one from the late 90s nike team is there anymore and where are the files at how to make it?

Just my theory.

Well it shouldnt be too difficult, its the same one the falcons currently use i think, and nike can look at the past jerseys to make it

And alot of reebok hockey jerseys use the same collar too, so they can look at those too

Ravens definitely made the wrong move, in terms of which color to make their collar.

Making it solid purple was an improvement, but solid black would've made much more sense.

The sleeve cuffs are still black... Not to mention, the previous set (before Nike), had solid black collars and cuffs.

Hmm...

I disagree. Changing to a HUGE full black color would look pretty bad, in my opinion. The Nike collars are ridiculously large and look terrible in a color separate from the jersey colors (see Texans, Broncos).

arian-foster.jpgnike_champ2.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Can someone do a quick concept of these images (or just one) with a more narrow collar in the front? I am curious to see how much a narrow (proper) looking collar would benefit the uniforms. It would seem that the only shrinking thats needed is to form the front collar to shrink the front collar to the height of the NFL shield.

I think a big problem is that they just drop too low. The new college cuts seem to have much less neck room and look a lot neater.

Here's an altered collar, i'm sure there's many instances like this in the league, but this is the only one i can think of off the top of my head.

8317331813_912663474e_o.jpg

sorry for the big pic, idk how to make it a spoiler.

And Raiders.

They're the one team that I think could've benefited from new jerseys the most. You can literally see the shoulder pads through their jerseys. They seem so outdated. They could've even gone the bucs/cowboys route and kept the shiny pants.
Oakland gets their jerseys and stuff from an outside manufacturer they just slap on whatever marks the nfl tells them to, like the swoosh, nfl shield ect. Theyve been doing that even with reebok

I think the Raiders will look a whole lot better with the Nike Elite 51 design. I think keeping the old mesh in their jerseys isn't that great. But their black jerseys/silver numerals (and even their white jerseys/black numerals/silver trim) will stand out more if they go to that Elite 51 look.

In fact I do not understand why the Packers, Raiders, Eagles, Falcons, and the Panthers are still going keep the same fabric (traditional mesh) again this year? They do not have to change their jersey design, they can actually keep it. All they have to do is agree on the new fabric, for in this case the Elite 51. It is not that hard to change, and probably look better that way.

A few things about the Ravens jerseys.

The home purple uniforms are definitely the best in the NFL. The numeral fonts works excellent with the purple jersey color. Unless you look really, really close, you don't hardly see the black drop shadow beside the numerals. The white pants with the black stripes work very well with jersey, and may just as well work good with the black plants (provided they add stripes. And yes their neckline is purple instead of going back to black, but I was never a fan of the black neckline, and certainly hated the "Count Dracula" neckline they had last year. Glad they scraped it after one season. Overall, the purple is the way to go, and hopefully the Ravens will focus on the purple more and less of the black. Grade: A+

OTOH, the away white uniforms are not so much the best. Yes, they have the same numeral fonts as their home jerseys, but the black drop shadow beside the purple numerals do not blend very well, and can be an eyesore. My guess is when they where their white jerseys in their final preseason game (at St. Louis), they will likely have a white neckline instead of black. Personally, I don't think it will work very well with their white uniforms, but they will probably will have no choice. I like to see more purple in their jerseys, and maybe their numerals will stand out more if they scrap the black drop shadow, and go with a normal look. And finally the black pants (aka leotards). I hate them, no stripes, and just the crazy "B" logo on the sides. Since the Ravens color is primarily purple, they should replace them with purple pants with a gold/black/gold stripes on the side. It will look hundred times better than those leotards. Overall, don't change anything on the home jerseys but it is time for a massive makeover on the road jerseys. Grade: C-

And Raiders.

I think the Raiders will look a whole lot better with the Nike Elite 51 design. I think keeping the old mesh in their jerseys isn't that great. But their black jerseys/silver numerals (and even their white jerseys/black numerals/silver trim) will stand out more if they go to that Elite 51 look.

In fact I do not understand why the Packers, Raiders, Eagles, Falcons, and the Panthers are still going keep the same fabric (traditional mesh) again this year? They do not have to change their jersey design, they can actually keep it. All they have to do is agree on the new fabric, for in this case the Elite 51. It is not that hard to change, and probably look better that way.

Obviously because that's the fabric they prefer. I think it's easy from the outside looking in to jump on the Nike hype factory party line, and assume any team not wearing the magic fabric will be left behind, but those are the teams that have to suit up every sunday, and they're wearing what they feel suits their team best.

The home purple uniforms are definitely the best in the NFL. The numeral fonts works excellent with the purple jersey color. Grade: A+

Good Lord. I know opinions are opinions and everyone is entitled to their own, but "definitely" best in the NFL? I think that's a lonely island you're sitting on.

And Raiders.

Obviously because that's the fabric they prefer. I think it's easy from the outside looking in to jump on the Nike hype factory party line, and assume any team not wearing the magic fabric will be left behind, but those are the teams that have to suit up every sunday, and they're wearing what they feel suits their team best.

The home purple uniforms are definitely the best in the NFL. The numeral fonts works excellent with the purple jersey color. Grade: A+

Good Lord. I know opinions are opinions and everyone is entitled to their own, but "definitely" best in the NFL? I think that's a lonely island you're sitting on.

Allright, I will rephrase it. I meant one of the best in the NFL, maybe top five. Everybody happy?

Yeah, but you would think one of the five that I forementioned would change the fabric for their jerseys for the upcoming season.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

In the case of the Eagles, maybe they're afraid that their sweat boxes would look as bad as the Jets do since the colors are close.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

And Raiders.

Those look similar to the type of jersey that was popular in the late 90's early 00's. The thick heavy mesh, real long jersey cuts. We wore those once in High school and theyre significantly heavier than the Nike uniforms we wore the next year. I would imagine all versions of PC/Elite 51 would be a lot more comfortable and lighter.

And i honestly think they would look better with a Nike cut. They're the one team who sweatboxes would be non existent for.

Allright, I will rephrase it. I meant one of the best in the NFL, maybe top five. Everybody happy?

Well, no. Like I said, everyone has their own opinions, but top five is pretty much just as crazy, IMO.

Here's my problems with the Ravens' uniforms, from the top;

Helmet: Bad logo. What is that B doing on the side of that birds head? Are we supposed to see it as floating to the side, or attached? The way a part of the bird's cheek covers the letter, it's like a tattoo or something. Very weird. And it's very awkward the way the letter has to face the opposite way on the reverse. Also, those tapered pointed stripes were outdated shortly after the were designed.

Jersey: Not a fan of the font, at all. To me, that short of over-designed numbering reminds me of minor league hockey, or the arena league. Just not professional enough for the NFL. And drop-shadowing only works in very unique situations... mostly as a legacy look passed down traditionally. On an ultra-modern font, it just feels too clever. I also dislike that shade of purple. It's a little darker and drabber than the purple most other sports teams use, which isn't a problem necessarily on it's own, but is when you pair it with black. There's not enough contrast between the purple and black. The sleeve shield is a nice design, but too big for modern jersey cuts.

Pants: I don't care for either choice, white or black. The white suffers from a lack of gold in the stripe. The black/purple/black makes it look like they borrowed it from another team, and slapped their logo on the hip. (As an aside, hip logos, in general, bug me.) And the black pants are just awful. The Ravens' stripe-less black pants paired up with black socks are the very definition of the "leotard look." Nauseating.

Now, they don't have a bottom 5 uniform IMO, but that mostly because teams like Arizona, Cincinnati, and Atlanta are holding on to bad looks from the previous decade, and Seattle and Jacksonville are pioneering the new horrific looks to come from this decade. But I'd have to put Baltimore in the bottom ten, if I were forced to do a full league ranking.

Archived