Fox Sports 1 vs ESPN

tv15

3 years is not exactly signifying a "long term" plan. It's kind of the bare minimum for any business venture.

I thought this was the most interesting bit of the article:

It also widely expected that Fox will try to pry the NBA, whose rights deals expire following the 2015-16 season, away from either ESPN or Turner.

"We realized that to be competitive in future rights negotiations for premiere packages, we needed a fully distributed and highly rated national cable sports channel to be successful," said Shanks.

So they'll need ratings to get the best content, but how do they intend to get those ratings before they have the best content? Should be interesting to see if golf alone is enough, or if they need to peel off some of the minor sports to fill the hours and set them apart.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think that, given that DirecTV already carries Speed (FS1) and Fuel (FS2), getting "carriage" is more of a matter of trying to wrangle their way onto a lower tier at this point. I'd imagine it's a similar situation with other providers. Fox will go on the Sports Tier if they have to, but are probably trying everything they can to work their way down. Either way, they'll be carried by the big boys for launch.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

3 years is not exactly a "long term" plan. It's kind of the bare minimum for any business venture.

Three years was said last week at their Investors Meeting when those 50M households were not accounted for in real terms. Their portfolio were claiming those DirecTV/DISH/TWC households, thus those subscription fees. If they do not open with them, then that is lost money and lost ad sales.

The only collegiate rights which will be available worth anything soon will be the B1G.

The NBA deal's up in 2015, right? I expect that to be the real big battleground in TV rights in the near future. I would imagine TNT will keep their share, but it's going to become a bitter battle between ESPN/ABC and Fox/FS1 for the Christmas/NBA Finals/Sunday showcase package

EDIT: Looked it up, it's 2016. Given how the other major leagues are in the 2020s and.. yeah, there's your big battleground on the horizon

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

But the Big Ten already has its own network,

which I think Fox is a partner in.

They're not going to hand their games over when they can promote their own network.

First tier rights is what ESPN has over FOX.

The first tier football rights go through 2017.

The first tier basketball rights with a boost from CBS goes through 2017.

The NBA deal's up in 2015, right? I expect that to be the real big battleground in TV rights in the near future. I would imagine TNT will keep their share, but it's going to become a bitter battle between ESPN/ABC and Fox/FS1 for the Christmas/NBA Finals/Sunday showcase package

EDIT: Looked it up, it's 2016. Given how the other major leagues are in the 2020s and.. yeah, there's your big battleground on the horizon

Read Awful Announcing

I would think that, given that DirecTV already carries Speed (FS1) and Fuel (FS2), getting "carriage" is more of a matter of trying to wrangle their way onto a lower tier at this point. I'd imagine it's a similar situation with other providers. Fox will go on the Sports Tier if they have to, but are probably trying everything they can to work their way down. Either way, they'll be carried by the big boys for launch.

DirecTV and the others have a current contract to run SPEED as a motorsports channel but come Friday, FOX wants to rebrand it and increase the carriage fee fourfold to begin and up to $1.50/month.

The DISH/amc stalemate was pretty bad, as was the DirecTV/Versus one, but this current one in NYC/LA/DFW/BOS/DET/ CHI/DEN/PIT is even more serious today since CBS wants the network affiliate, CBS-TV get a fee for what is over the air for free and will withhold Spike, Showtime, and Flix in the balance. CBS Sports Network is not really part of the agreements since CBS does not even pay Neilsen to have that channel rated for households.

I think you're talking about the current CBS vs. Time Warner dick-swinging. For what it's worth, Time Warner doesn't serve Chicago at all, to my knowledge.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Report: DirecTV, DISH, and TWC to carry FS1 on Saturday.

Plus, the DISH/ESPN agreement is up in October and this comes months after DISH lost three of four suits against ESPN claiming damages for a breach of contract.

Over at another board that I frequent, some poster called it the "Mother of all disputes". I won't say the following to him, but I will to you guys(I post by another name over there): This is America. We don't call things the "Mother of all disputes". We say the "World Series of disputes"(I would have said Superb Owl, but the NFL might find out and try to get me banned(I digress)).

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

I will tune in to whichever one is broadcasting something I want to watch. I don't really watch any highlight shows, except for NFL Prime Time. If there is a good highlight somewhere, I'll probably come across it on Twitter or Facebook. If one channel is offering exposure to a sport not normally broadcast over here, I'll watch it for the curiosity, and if I enjoy it, all the better, because I'll be able to see it regularly.

Right now, I watch most of the major channels about equally. Even CBS Sports Network.

This is where I am. I don't have TV network brand loyalty and I am not as much on the ESPN hate wagon as most. SportsCenter definitely peaked in the mid 1990s, but it's still OK. I skip the stuff I don't want to watch. FoxSports1 and 2 will have the same problem that ESPN (and, frankly, the news channels) have, which is we simply don't need that much coverage.

Ultimately what I hiope for is not better programming, but different programming, i.e., NHL or whatever. That's what multiple networks offer. I love that NBC's cable sports network shows college hockey. But more highlights shows and filling in of otherwise dead air time does not matter to me.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

lol but college hockey is bad though. Why do I want to watch mid-level -- at best! -- prospects play clutch-and-grab crap? because there's a pep band in the stands?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

lol but college hockey is bad though. Why do I want to watch mid-level -- at best! -- prospects play clutch-and-grab crap? because there's a pep band in the stands?

To each their own. I don't watch college sports because of whether or not the players are pro prospects.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived