Chicago Bears, minor update

oldschoolvikings

So, here’s a little minor update to the Chicago Bears uniform. Nothing earth-shaking, because nothing earth shaking is needed… just a little clean up of a few things that bug me. Here’s what’s new;

1. I reversed the colors of the helmet logo. Two reasons… one because it brings it in line with the jersey numbers and letters, and two because it visually recalls the original plain white logo from the 60’s, which I’ve always liked.
  2. I made the stripes on the home jersey and socks look more like the stripes on the road jersey, just for a little more continuity.
  3. Moved the “GSH” from the sleeve to just below the shield on the jersey front. I tried it on the back above the NOB, but it made it look as though every player’s first name was GSH.
  4. Added a second pair of white pants, with a stripe that matches the white jersey. This would be worn whenever the Bear want to go all white. I know some will think it’s pointless, but its easy enough to do, and there is a precedence for teams with two pairs of white pants (Broncos, Falcons) for just this reason.
  5. Finally, a made the facemask gray. This was done for two reasons… one, because it give the whole uniform a grounded, traditional look, like the Browns and the Colts, and two, to annoy the crap out of some members of the board.

Tell me what you think.

bearsnew_zps33a78d5c.png

I like it! I've been kicking around my own concept involving a white C with orange outline myself and think it looks as good as it did in my head.

I do like the GSH on under the collar, but I think putting it on the back is an idea worth trying.

Finally, a made the facemask gray. This was done for two reasons… one, because it give the whole uniform a grounded, traditional look, like the Browns and the Colts, and two, to annoy the crap out of some members of the board.

Count me as "annoyed". It looks way too out of place.

I'm not feeling the GSH on the front of it. That's where a wordmark should go (if anything at all).

I do like everything else. The white C looks nice on the helmet.

nlog42.jpg

Thanks Dolphins91 for the jersey avatars.

I honestly don't think that there's a single improvement in this concept. Just about every Bears concept that I've seen here attempts to standardize or unify the striping across the helmet c, sleeve stripes, pant stripes and number colors and they all end up with the same result. The excessive uniformity essentially strips all of the organic evolution of a uniform that dates back to the 40's and has been iconic representation of classic football.

When you unify/standardize all of the elements of a classic uniform you end up having what looks like a an expansion team or even worse a generic catalog uniform. The Packers are a great example as to how something as simple as the reduced sleeve stripes and the solid socks have made their look so much more generic.

It's nice and clean, and I think both thicker stripe options work well for the pants.

The only thing I'd do different is move the GSH tribute to the helmet. Sleeve stripes have been reduced so much that there's not much room for the initials to be visible. Putting them under the collar looks more like the team name is GSH, and I agree that moving initials under the back collar makes them look like they're every player's initials.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Put the GSH on the butt. You know, like Texas Tech's "Guns Up!"

That's pure class, all the way. :rolleyes:

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived