2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John Forslund is extremely overrated.

I don't know what Forslund's rating is, so to speak, but he's a very good play-by-play man whose voice unfortunately sounds funny when he says "SCOOOOORES."

Flames traded another failed first round pick, this time to the Hurricanes. In what world was Greg Nemisz ever worth a first round pick.

Rutherford's not giving up on anything! How can you when the Staals could come out of retirement at any moment?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Flames traded another failed first round pick, this time to the Hurricanes. In what world was Greg Nemisz ever worth a first round pick.

I remember we talked about it a bit in February, but I couldn't believe Matt Pelech was a former first rounder, but it made sense because he was a Flames pick.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I remember we talked about it a bit in February, but I couldn't believe Matt Pelech was a former first rounder, but it made sense because he was a Flames pick.

Exactly. The only one of note over the last 15 years has been Dion Phaneuf. (Baertschi and Monahan still too young)

Soon you'll be able to throw Mark Jankowski in the list of failed first round picks, but according to Jay Feaster he'll be the best player from the 2012 draft by 2022. That's if he made the NHL by 2019.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Wait a minute, this means Burke traded for Kevin Westgarth? lol what an idiot

"I need two absolute troglodytes who punch faces a lot, not just one. That's how I made things work in Toronto."
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It's always been a very intriguing idea to me whether you would want a straight-forward PP instead of a penalty shot, if given the choice. The percentages are pretty even going back over 15 years, really. I mean, with Jonathan Toews, yeah, you want the penalty shot, I imagine. With your average checking line guy? Probably not.

spacer.png

You can horse-collar a guy in the NHL and not even give up a penalty shot? that's cool

New 1 penalty-shot-per-game maximum got enacted at the start of the month.
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Exactly. The only one of note over the last 15 years has been Dion Phaneuf. (Baertschi and Monahan still too young)

Soon you'll be able to throw Mark Jankowski in the list of failed first round picks, but according to Jay Feaster he'll be the best player from the 2012 draft by 2022. That's if he made the NHL by 2019.

The Flames should just give up their first round picks, it won't make a difference.

Since 2000 the Flames first round picks have been:

Brent Krahn (good Hitmen goalie though)

Chuck Kobasew

Eric Nystrom

Dion Phaneuf

Kris Chucko (yikes)

Matt Pelech (yikes again)

Leland Irving

Mikael Backlund

Nemisz

Tim Erixon

None in 2010

Bartschi

Jankowski (why?)

Monohan

Poirier

Klimchuk

Is it bad scouting or the Flames management not being the sharpest tools in the shed?

IbjBaeE.png

The Flames should just give up their first round picks, it won't make a difference.

Since 2000 the Flames first round picks have been:

Brent Krahn (good Hitmen goalie though)

Chuck Kobasew

Eric Nystrom

Dion Phaneuf

Kris Chucko (yikes)

Matt Pelech (yikes again)

Leland Irving

Mikael Backlund

Nemisz

Tim Erixon

None in 2010

Bartschi

Jankowski (why?)

Monohan

Poirier

Klimchuk

Is it bad scouting or the Flames management not being the sharpest tools in the shed?

Well the three GM's presiding over those drafts were Greg Gilbert, Darryl Sutter and Jay Feaster. Not exactly the three brightest souls on the planet, but I get having bad runs in draft, but nobody is as bad as the Flames have been over the last decade and half at drafting. It's probably a bit of both, the organization has never been high on European talent, so their Euro scouts are bare bones and when it comes to North America I don't even know.

They've gotten a lot better in recent years with finding Markus Granlund, Johnny Gaudreau, Jon Gillies (hopefully future contributors that aren't just replacement level guys) and the likes of TJ Brodie who's quickly becoming a really solid defenseman who's only 23. The system is getting better and hopefully now we can finally get something going with team depth, because I'm pretty sure 4 drafted players on the roster is currently the least in the league.

You could look back earlier to see some more Flames draft gaffes. In 1990, the Flames traded the 20th overall pick to New Jersey for the 11th.

The Flames took Trevor Kidd with the 11th pick and the Devils took Martin Brodeur with the 20th.

To be fair.

Pretty sure Kidd was more highly thought of coming out that year than Brodeur, still you're right. Nothing has gone right since 1989.

Except that time you should have won the Stanley Cup, though I guess in a sense that's also a thing that didn't go right. Still, getting so close was pretty rad.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Except that time you should have won the Stanley Cup, though I guess in a sense that's also a thing that didn't go right. Still, getting so close was pretty rad.

That was a pretty fun spring!

To think that's going to be 10 years this coming spring. Where does the time go.

Archived