2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Admiral's going to read that full Burnside piece and have a good, long rage-cry, as should any American hockey fan.

You've got the two most-recent Cup-winning GMs on your staff. One of them produces an actual book on why a player should be selected for the team. You decide to go with the recently-fired Brian Dennehy caricature with a laundry list of laughable decisions to his credit, because he's louder and more stubborn. Congratulations. You earned 4th place.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

full Burnside piece

EDIT: oh man,

"I think he's a more versatile player than Oshie," Bowman says.

"I think he's got more to his game than Oshie. He's like a young version of [Marian] Hossa. He's such a strong guy. He's just hard to handle. He's smart. He's a guy the coaches would love," the Chicago GM says.

Poile, meanwhile, knows Oshie and likes his personality.

"Oshie's got that shootout move," he adds.

dat shootout move

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

full Burnside piece

EDIT: oh man,

"I think he's a more versatile player than Oshie," Bowman says.

"I think he's got more to his game than Oshie. He's like a young version of [Marian] Hossa. He's such a strong guy. He's just hard to handle. He's smart. He's a guy the coaches would love," the Chicago GM says.

Poile, meanwhile, knows Oshie and likes his personality.

"Oshie's got that shootout move," he adds.

dat shootout move

At least he didn't say "For the puckbunnies."

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

More goodness from Falstaff On Ice:

"Can't be worse than the room I had in Nagano," says Brian Burke, the newly installed head of hockey operations in Calgary. "Take two steps and break your f------ nose."

Well, Brian, you gotta remember that you have to open a door in order to walk through it.

Assignment: write hypothetical journalistic accounts of Brian Burke in Japan:

Standing just a few critical feet from the chaos, a glimmer appeared in his Irish eyes as a man who lived on hockey's vanguard had once again reinvented the way we think the game. "This," Burke said to himself, "this I can work with," as the throngs of salarymen relentlessly pushed and shoved their way onto a subway car.

"Well, hell," Burke muttered as he surveyed the passed-out bodies at the conference room table, "I didn't even realize it was a drinking game."

Nagano was not without its cultural gaps, and as is so often the case, it was up to the hosts to do the bridging. When Burke met a translator's suggestion to adhere to local norms with "no, you take off your shoes," all the chief financial officer could do was to walk to the door, put his shoes on, and take them back off again.

For a "Woah...seriously?" moment, I give you the kind of shape Martin St. Louis is in at 38 years old...

178705-0-600.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Buried in that story,

"Brian Burke says he'd had a dream the U.S. team lost a medal game because of a mistake made by 19-year-old rookie defenseman Seth Jones."

Okay, forget it, I'm not going to write fictional Brian Burke stories if I can't compete with the man himself. What the hell is going on?

I mean, Seth Jones hasn't done a lot at the NHL level, no, but what the hell has Justin Faulk done? Seriously, what has he done? So the Americans are making personnel decisions based on Brian Burke's dreams? Who told him to put David Backes on the team, a backward-talking dancing midget in a red room?

What it lacks in truculence, it more than makes up for in what-the- :censored: - itude.

I genuinely feel bad for Flames fans. Burke is the person his detractors thought he was: a blustering bully who gets his way through ignorance and stubbornness. Goes to show that a guy with a Harvard law degree can still come across as the dumbest man in the room. Even when he's sharing that room with Don Waddell!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

What it lacks in truculence, it more than makes up for in what-the- :censored: - itude.

I genuinely feel bad for Flames fans. Burke is the person his detractors thought he was: a blustering bully who gets his way through ignorance and stubbornness. Goes to show that a guy with a Harvard law degree can still come across as the dumbest man in the room. Even when he's sharing that room with Don Waddell!

Thank you. Its going to be a horrible next five years, if not longer.

When talking about Bobby Ryan saying he's "not intense enough" and saying he should have drafted Jack Johnson over him, who is absolutely underwhelming defenseman. Bobby Ryan is on pace for another 30 goal season. I'm scared is that how he's going to run us. The guy is a plug, and I guess the entire Team USA management staff is, but Burke in particular.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2014/01/01/how-olympic-hockey-team-was-picked/4279829/

During a Nov. 19 conference call, Team USA general manager David Poile told his selection committee that he had a dream about Jack Johnson not making the Olympic team.

"I'm announcing the roster and there is no Jack Johnson on the team and I'm thinking there must be a mistake," the Nashville Predators general manager said.

Poile's dream became Johnson's reality because the Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman was indeed not chosen for the team, announced at Wednesday's Winter Classic.

Jesus Christ, these moonbeams are making Dusty Baker look like Nate Silver.

Bobby Ryan on not being selected to Team USA and the quotes from the article:

“They were direct quotes and it’s unfortunate they feel that way. That’s their opinions and they’ve got to form a team. I guess to a certain degree you have to respect it. You don’t have to agree with it, right? But you could have just cut me. You didn’t have to be so gutless... Actually I almost feel degraded when it comes out like that. It is what it is. That’s their decision. That’s how they feel about it. I will remember it and use it as motivation.”

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Well, except when the Jackets play the Lightning. You will love the Nathan Horton that plays against the Lightning.

(this isn't some victim complex, either - even when he was a first round disappointment in Florida, the dude slaughtered the Lightning head-to-head. Oh, and Game 7 of the 2011 ECF. I'll see myself out.)

spacer.png

Archived