2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

I don't think there's such a thing as "before your window" winning. Almost by definition in the salary cap era, you need players to outplay their contracts to win the Cup. Normally (I have no stats to back this up) it comes from young players playing out one of their restricted free agent or entry level deals. I think your "window" is at least as much about lines 2-4 as it is when your best players are having their best years.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need someone to explain to me why the prevailing wisdom among NHL head coaches is to shoot first in the shootout.

It makes no sense to me. It never has, and it never will. This is just like if a college football head coach instructed his team to take the ball to start an OT instead of going on defense.

I don't get it either but my dad thinks he knows why.

His reasoning is that if you shoot first, you might lose before you get to take all three shots.

IbjBaeE.png

So that Hawks game sure was a thing. The Blues are a pox upon the hockey world.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I need someone to explain to me why the prevailing wisdom among NHL head coaches is to shoot first in the shootout.

It makes no sense to me. It never has, and it never will. This is just like if a college football head coach instructed his team to take the ball to start an OT instead of going on defense.

His reasoning is that if you shoot first, you might lose before you get to take all three shots.

If the sequence were to go N-G-N-G, then you don't take your third shot as the "first choice" team, either.

spacer.png

The shootout is a pox. The Hawks just ate ass at leisure over large stretches of the last two periods and gave up two-goal leads twice. Icky.

Ducks won their 10th straight tonight. Maybe they can get their first sellout of the season when the Blackhawks come to town, too!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The shootout is a pox. The Hawks just ate ass at leisure over large stretches of the last two periods and gave up two-goal leads twice. Icky.

Ducks won their 10th straight tonight. Maybe they can get their first sellout of the season when the Blackhawks come to town, too!

Um, the Ducks had a standing room only sell out tonight. It was actually the biggest crowd of the season (reported numbers-wise)... (And amazingly against the Coyotes. Like I've said previously, the Coyotes are a hard draw anyways but it always seemed especially so in Anaheim.)

---

10 in a row, 11-0-2 in the last 13, 4-0 vs Phoenix this year, tied at the top with 61 points but a game in hand on the Blackhawks.

Game shouldn't have even gone to the overtime, hell it should have been a shutout. Hiller was cruising until a weird stanchion bounce caught him behind the net and nobody but a Coyote in front. Yotes pushed after that to tie it. Huge night from the "checking line" tonight (Koivu, Cogliano, Winnik). Those guys have some awesome chemistry and even offensively, even more so that our supposed 2nd line (Teemu-Perrault-Beleskey/Silfverberg/Palmieri/etc). Whenever Getzlaf/Perry falter, it's that checking line that usually is there to pick up the slack.

Even bigger game in San Jose tomorrow night. Big dogs need to come out and fight tomorrow.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

If the sequence were to go N-G-N-G, then you don't take your third shot as the "first choice" team, either.

The thought process is that it puts the pressure on the visiting team should the home team's first shootout attempt be a goal.

Anything can be broken down into "Well, if this scenario happens", but the home team putting their best/hottest shooter first puts instant pressure on the road team's goalie.

The thought process is that it puts the pressure on the visiting team should the home team's first shootout attempt be a goal.

Anything can be broken down into "Well, if this scenario happens", but the home team putting their best/hottest shooter first puts instant pressure on the road team's goalie.

I'm personally more on the train of thought that says "always have the last shot"; I hate scenario's where it's tied going to the "bottom of the 3rd" and knowing that the game can be lost without having another shot at it.

spacer.png

Grumble grumble grumble... Sharks... Grumble grumble grumble... stupid... Grumble grumble grumble...

Yeah it was a tough one. Obviously, you can't win every single game and the streak was going to end, but I would have liked a better showing than that. (Also why I would have preferred Hiller today and Andersen yesterday. Not that it was entirely the goalie's fault, but not great.)

Good thing is there's another game, same teams, on Tuesday. They'll get it back.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

I'm amazed by the Penguins. Not by Crosby, not by Malkin, but by the fact that they rack up as many 5s and 10s as meathead brigades like the Flyers and Sabres, yet none of it is ever their fault. They're Sideshow Bob in the field of rakes, evidently.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

ugh, I hate Penguins fans.

Yes, we know.

No, seriously though, you're awful.
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived