2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

I mean, Seth Jones hasn't done a lot at the NHL level, no, but what the hell has Justin Faulk done? Seriously, what has he done? So the Americans are making personnel decisions based on Brian Burke's dreams? Who told him to put David Backes on the team, a backward-talking dancing midget in a red room?

I'd ask how Burke keeps getting jobs, but AJ Smith and Billy King have had multiple front-office jobs in their respective leagues too. Not even OITGDNHL!

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Classy move by Mr. Lupul:

neckcheck.gif

Only fined $10,000 for that hit, and saved $54,024 by not being suspended for a game.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

That's not gonna be a dream when it happens.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'd ask how Burke keeps getting jobs, but AJ Smith and Billy King have had multiple front-office jobs in their respective leagues too. Not even OITGDNHL!

Burke had a pretty good run in Vancouver, to be fair, but it wasn't until Gillis took over that they really started putting it together. Conversely with Anaheim, he won the Cup, but wasn't really there long enough to have acquired a lot of the pieces. Burke's biggest problem, besides just being bad at his job, is that he's under the misconception that he has to be an outsize personality where it's actually quite the contrary. What kind of jokes can be made about a Dean Lombardi press conference, or a Stan Bowman press conference, or a Peter Chiarelli press conference? None, because they just work their goddamn desk jobs and don't make a freaking spectacle out of things like of demoting Colton Orr. Even better, look at David Poile! This guy ran the Capitals for years and has been the only person to run the Perds. You'd figure he must be a pretty good general manager, then, right? Well, as we've learned from Burnside and Allen (old radio comedy team), he's actually a complete imbecile, but he's not so open about it, so everyone pretty much leaves him alone.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Classy move by Mr. Lupul:

neckcheck.gif

Only fined $10,000 for that hit, and saved $54,024 by not being suspended for a game.

I'm sorry, but no suspension on that is bull :censored:. It's not like Eaves ducked into it or anything, and Lupul very clearly went high. Must be because he only messed up Eaves' jaw. I'm glad that's all it was, because Eaves has a history with concussions. Lupul could've easily ended his career right there. $10,000 is a freakin' joke.

Sigh... If only the Ducks could score on the PP.

The Ducks go 0 for 5 against the Oil and still won comfortably, plus outshot them more then 2 to 1. What a massive wreckage Edmonton is.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Thanks to the Cotton Bowl and Orange Bowl both being phenomenal games, I would just like to thank the Lightning for their workmanlike performance in Calgary, properly deposing of a significantly worse team and, once the lead was multi-goal, never even being in danger of seeing it whittled down. It was nice to not have to pay a whole lot of attention to them.

25-12-4, and 13-7-4 since Stamkos got hurt. How the hell did this happen? Pretty amazing how much I underestimated the young talent in the organization. I had Stevie Y. pegged all wrong after the Conacher/Bishop trade. I stand by the principle of my thinking - swapping a young, cost-controlled and system-fit player for an unproven goaltender (over the course of even a single season, let alone seasons) is not wise, along with the apparent error of the 2nd rounder-for-Lindback trade, but the Lightning were clearly well built to withstand that trade (that Conacher has done nothing in Ottawa is irrelevant).

Well, onto Edmonton. Worst organization in hockey. Even worse than their southern neighbors, Edmonton is still terrible despite being years into their rebuilding process. No excuse to leave points on the ice that night.

spacer.png

Well, onto Edmonton. Worst organization in hockey. Even worse than their southern neighbors, Edmonton is still terrible despite being years into their rebuilding process. No excuse to leave points on the ice that night.

Here's my opinion on the Oilers: They are a flaming trash heap from top to bottom. President Kevin Lowe is still pulling the team down, Craig MacTavish actually hasn't been half bad as GM, Dallas Eakins is really not doing much. The defence sucks. The goaltending sucks. The offence is unreliable. There's a whole culture of suck going on, and the team can't win. The thing is, I don't know how they can get rid of that culture. Maybe Lowe should be fired, maybe Eakins should be fired. Maybe they should trade a young star. Maybe they should kill all remnants of the last 15 years (Smyth, Hemsky, Grebeshkov, MacTavish, Lowe). Maybe they need that new arena to help them out. Maybe the problem is that they have the pressure of the 80's runs or the City of Champions or maybe it just sucks playing in Edmonton and they want out. I don't know.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Here's my opinion on the Oilers: They are a flaming trash heap from top to bottom. President Kevin Lowe is still pulling the team down, Craig MacTavish actually hasn't been half bad as GM, Dallas Eakins is really not doing much. The defence sucks. The goaltending sucks. The offence is unreliable. There's a whole culture of suck going on, and the team can't win. The thing is, I don't know how they can get rid of that culture. Maybe Lowe should be fired, maybe Eakins should be fired. Maybe they should trade a young star. Maybe they should kill all remnants of the last 15 years (Smyth, Hemsky, Grebeshkov, MacTavish, Lowe). Maybe they need that new arena to help them out. Maybe the problem is that they have the pressure of the 80's runs or the City of Champions or maybe it just sucks playing in Edmonton and they want out. I don't know.
I think Lowe has to go. I also think that MacT hasn't had enough time to do anything yet and that Eakins is the coach that the Oilers need.

I think the blame is on the players (not the players themselves per se, but the caliber of players and the people who put them there). To put it bluntly, the Oilers aren't a good team.

No real stars anywhere. The goalies aren't elite or going to take the Oilers anywhere. The defence is weak. The young guys can't do everything and some aren't playing well. (Schultz :P)

The Oilers are just bad, from the top guys to the players.

IbjBaeE.png

You know, I take a bit of pride in the fact that I've kept on saying that the Oilers weren't ready for prime time over the past few years despite numerous predictions to the contrary.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The only difference between Edmonton and Calgary is. Calgary is actually trying with probably a less superior roster, goaltending is what's making Calgary shield a lot of their flaws. Ramo and Berra haven't been all that bad, though Calgary is now on some ridiculous stretch where they have 1 goal for their last 84 shots, works to be like 1.2%. Only Buffalo is having a worst time scoring goals.

Still going to say this.

Edmonton is going to continue to improve over the rest of the season and Calgary will continue to fall, with the Flames finishing with a worse record.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Edmonton is turribul, but Anaheim's power play is turribuler. Yeesh.

The Ducks can get away with going 0-8 on the PP against Edmonton, but they need to fix this come playoff time. Maybe once Souray and his slap shot enter back into the mix in a couple weeks it'll help, but the fact is, when your top power play unit is Getzlaf, Perry, Selanne, Bonino, Fowler, you have to at least get SOMETHING on the power play.

Like I said, it's ok against Edmonton. But in a low scoring slog against LA, or a high tempo game against San Jose or Chicago, the Ducks have to be able to score something on their PP chances when it really counts.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Considering Edmonton's record of fail over the past several seasons would it be fair to make the comparison between them and the Islanders vis a vie the way they are run? Seems from what I have been reading that both franchises are operating in a similar fashion especially considering the histories of both (particularly the 80's.). Makes me wonder which team will be return to respectability faster.

Archived