NBA 2013-14 Season Thread

TJKiddsHead

From a Not-a-Bulls-fan-but-I-watch-them-sometimes-with-occasional-interest, here are my thoughts about the Bulls game tonight:

- the Heat remain good

- the Bulls bench sucks ass

- Jimmy Butler looks like a potted plant

- Carlos Boozer is bad. Scoring only keeps him on the floor, which is a bad thing.

- Derrick Rose something something

- Kirk Hinrich and Mike Dunleavy Jr are the whitest players in the NBA

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wesley Johnson is on the Lakers? Awesome. That guy was made for better things than the T-Wolves and the Suns.E

EDIT: Another NBA season, another year of terrible Blake Griffin commercials.

EDIT AGAIN: Watching the Lakers JV squad outscore the Clippers 31-12 in the fourth (so far) is just so Clippers.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Clips are gonna be alright, they just have to play less stupid. The LAK are gonna LAK and that's just how the world works. They've got a really thorny bench that should seamlessly take them into the next iteration after Mamba and Gasol move on.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Well, my expectations for the season just plummeted.

[/every NBA team that lost tonight's message boards] Trade calls are probably already flooding WSCR's overnight show.

edit: Also I wanted to talk about floor seats and how they're kind of stupid.

Floor seats themselves are amazing, I find it kind of ludicrous that they're usually home to some of the worst fans out there. I imagine a lot of Heat fans are embarrassed after how many of those guys left. The Lakers are obviously renowned for the celebrities that pepper those seats, so I'll exempt them, but in places like Miami where the only people that can afford floor seats for Heat games are apparently Justin Beiber and other yuppy flakes who watch a bit of the game before slugging a few lines of coke then head down to the sand for some moonlight baby-turtle killing.

twitter

I think this game was an aberration. This laker team played to prove they weren't a JV squad, it was their championship game, and the clips played down to the opponent. I dont think the lakers keep that up and No way Doc lets this loss slide. They will be better in their next outing...I hope.

Whose house?

Lakers' house.

Pay your rent, cover up whatever you want, but look at the statues outside, pull back the curtains and look at those banners, look at the fans in the stands, and understand that this will never be your basketball arena, Clippers. Never.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Whose house?

Lakers' house.

Pay your rent, cover up whatever you want, but look at the statues outside, pull back the curtains and look at those banners, look at the fans in the stands, and understand that this will never be your basketball arena, Clippers. Never.

Can't wait to read another season's worth of this. Dammit Zach, you were a great co-host, but your Cardinals-like Laker fanisms depress me greatly.

twitter

Technically it's not even the lakers' house. It's the kings. Just saying.

All seriousness, calm down. It was one game. Don't forget the beat downs the clippers gave the lakers last year and Kobe was on the floor. The bench played out of their minds tonight, I'll give you that, but I don't believe that will be the rule for this laker team. Stop relishing in your past because unless Magic, Kareem, and Shaq are coming back the lakers won't see another banner for awhile. The clippers on the other hand have a brighter future ahead. It's just the natural cycle of sports...it's the clippers turn to come up now.

Whose house?

Lakers' house.

Can't wait to read another season's worth of this. Dammit Zach, you were a great co-host, but your Cardinals-like Laker fanisms depress me greatly.

Full season's worth? Nah. I'll only pull it out at the appropriate times. Like when the Lakers' "JV squad" and bench runs over the "new culture" and "championship contender" Clippers in the season opener. (Must've been the glare from the golden banners. Clippers aren't used to it anymore. :upside: )

Trust me, I'm not under any sort of delusion that the Lakers will ultimately finish ahead of the Clippers. If this Lakers team makes the playoffs, it'll be a mammoth achievement for this group, but still ultimately disappointing because these are the Lakers, dammit. Just making the playoffs isn't something to pat themselves on the back for. It's championship or bust for this franchise, and this season is going to be more bust. I don't like it, but I understand it. I've got to enjoy the little things, like reminding the Clippers they've still got a ways to go.

And Cardinal-like fanisms? Come now, Andy. You know I only speak truths. ;)

---

Technically it's not even the lakers' house. It's the kings. Just saying.

All seriousness, calm down. It was one game. Don't forget the beat downs the clippers gave the lakers last year and Kobe was on the floor. The bench played out of their minds tonight, I'll give you that, but I don't believe that will be the rule for this laker team. Stop relishing in your past because unless Magic, Kareem, and Shaq are coming back the lakers won't see another banner for awhile. The clippers on the other hand have a brighter future ahead. It's just the natural cycle of sports...it's the clippers turn to come up now.

Yes. Thanks. I know that. That's why I said "basketball arena" because I already dealt with correcting doofs like you on Facebook. :rolleyes:

Stop relishing in our past? You better just enjoy your present while you have it, because it's not going to last as long as you think. It may be a little while until the Lakers raise another banner, but they'll raise their next one before the Clippers raise their first one.

I'm no doof good sir. Try to refrain from the name calling, thanks.

Oh and no worries I will very much enjoy the present and the future as well. The superiority complex some of you laker fans have is astounding. You can't admit that the future isn't looking bright for the lakers then turn around and say the clippers aren't for real. Can't have it both ways. As it stands the clippers do have the better squad this year, don't be fooled by one game. The banners mean nothing at this point, it's all about now and I believe the team talking about rings in LA will be the clippers.

The clippers on the other hand have a brighter future ahead. It's just the natural cycle of sports...it's the clippers turn to come up now.

Really? This is the NBA, where first titles are hard to come by. Ask the Hawks of the 80's, Magic or Hornets of the 90's, the Nets of the 00's. Then ask the 70's Sonics/Blazers/Bullets if getting a second is hard.

Their window began last season, so there are two, possibly three left in an era with the LeBron

Full season's worth? Nah. I'll only pull it out at the appropriate times. Like when the Lakers' "JV squad" and bench runs over the "new culture" and "championship contender" Clippers in the season opener. (Must've been the glare from the golden banners. Clippers aren't used to it anymore. :upside: )

Trust me, I'm not under any sort of delusion that the Lakers will ultimately finish ahead of the Clippers. If this Lakers team makes the playoffs, it'll be a mammoth achievement for this group, but still ultimately disappointing because these are the Lakers, dammit. Just making the playoffs isn't something to pat themselves on the back for. It's championship or bust for this franchise, and this season is going to be more bust. I don't like it, but I understand it. I've got to enjoy the little things, like reminding the Clippers they've still got a ways to go.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Clippers > Lakers, but that's beside the point. I know it's kind of Laker fan duty to point out that the Clippers are the ginger-haired bastard team of that city, but I can only take so much homerism. I don't really like the Clippers that much, but I can tell you take such sincere pleasure in seeing them "being put in their place" that it gives me that old-fashioned Cardinals humblebrag chill. Makes my nutsack fill with blood and now I have to go to the hospital.

twitter

The clippers on the other hand have a brighter future ahead. It's just the natural cycle of sports...it's the clippers turn to come up now.

Really? This is the NBA, where first titles are hard to come by. Ask the Hawks of the 80's, Magic or Hornets of the 90's, the Nets of the 00's. Then ask the 70's Sonics/Blazers/Bullets if getting a second is hard.

Their window began last season, so there are two, possibly three left in an era with the LeBron

You make a good point. I was just speaking on sports in general. Teams that were up for awhile fall and teams that were down for awhile come up. They may not stay up but hell for me I at least want to say my team got there and won at least once. Have something to bring to the conversation.

Oh and no worries I will very much enjoy the present and the future as well. The superiority complex some of you laker fans have is astounding. You can't admit that the future isn't looking bright for the lakers then turn around and say the clippers aren't for real. Can't have it both ways. As it stands the clippers do have the better squad this year, don't be fooled by one game. The banners mean nothing at this point, it's all about now and I believe the team talking about rings in LA will be the clippers.

I call you a doof with the utmost endearing respect, old sport.

Did you not read the entirety of my post? I said I'm not under any delusion that the Lakers will ultimately finish ahead of the Clippers this season. Trust me, I understand that. This particular year does not look bright for the Lakers. You are correct.

However, if there's anything to be taken out of Laker history that applies to right now, it's that the down periods do not last that long. This is a franchise that has been able to flip their fortunes right back into championship contention, almost more than any other. I'm not saying that's this year, or even next year with all the cap space and free agents coming up. But in two or three years, everything will be right back where it has been. You were right in saying its the natural cycle of sports. The Clippers will come back down, like always, and the Lakers will rise back up, as always.

Talk about rings all you want. You've got to win them, first. And trust me when I say that if the Clippers do win a ring, I will be at the front of the line to shake your hand and congratulate you on a job well done. Until then, we can just continue to talk about it, I guess.

---

I wouldn't go so far as to say Clippers > Lakers, but that's beside the point. I know it's kind of Laker fan duty to point out that the Clippers are the ginger-haired bastard team of that city, but I can only take so much homerism. I don't really like the Clippers that much, but I can tell you take such sincere pleasure in seeing them "being put in their place" that it gives me that old-fashioned Cardinals humblebrag chill. Makes my nutsack fill with blood and now I have to go to the hospital.

I guess my only question, Andy, is... am I wrong? ;)

I call you a doof with the utmost endearing respect, old sport.

Did you not read the entirety of my post? I said I'm not under any delusion that the Lakers will ultimately finish ahead of the Clippers this season. Trust me, I understand that. This particular year does not look bright for the Lakers. You are correct.

However, if there's anything to be taken out of Laker history that applies to right now, it's that the down periods do not last that long. This is a franchise that has been able to flip their fortunes right back into championship contention, almost more than any other. I'm not saying that's this year, or even next year with all the cap space and free agents coming up. But in two or three years, everything will be right back where it has been. You were right in saying its the natural cycle of sports. The Clippers will come back down, like always, and the Lakers will rise back up, as always.

Talk about rings all you want. You've got to win them, first. And trust me when I say that if the Clippers do win a ring, I will be at the front of the line to shake your hand and congratulate you on a job well done. Until then, we can just continue to talk about it, I guess.

If I'm a Lakers fan I'm just about ready for the page to be turned. Kobe, as amazing he's been throughout his career, has become something of an enigma. His health is deteriorating and while he's still got probably one more title run in him, it's not 100%. Pau's numbers have dwindled annually.

...but damn, their bench is solid as hell. The LAK bench put up ridiculous numbers tonight and I'd imagine that's going to be a common theme for the remainder of the year.

------

The Clippers need to grow up. Stupid flagrant fouls and lots of ref-working. I get it - it's one of those "send-a-message-to-the-city" games but that's just plain stupid. Focus more on oops and better defense and less on smashing opposing players in the arm as they go to the basket.

twitter

Amen CS85. I really wish they would stop acting like the little brother everyone thinks they are. They have the talent to run LA for at least a year anyway and they fall apart in the 4th. I have blind faith they will go far because I believe in all that Doc brings but you nailed that problem on the head. We know they are tough and talented, no need to go out of the way to prove it. Just makes them look worse.

Archived