2014 FIFA World Cup

DS729

The playoff format would really help moderate the numbers of UEFA teams, while still giving everyone a chance.

For Example:

11th UEFA (France) vs 6th CAF (Egypt)

12th UEFA (Portugal) vs 6th AFC* (Uzbekistan)

13th UEFA (Croatia) vs 7th CONMEBOL* (Venezuela)

*5th Place AFC plays 6th Place CONMEBOL

If it's truly a tournament of the world's best teams, then the rules on how many teams per confederation passes should be a bit more relaxed to actually see the best teams go through.

Maybe give CONCACAF an automatic 4th spot and then merge OFC with AFC.

This would be for the best and I would give you a like if I didn't reach my quota.

Why should OFC join with AFC? OFC is made up of a huge number of Pacific locked countries and they deserve an equal right to compete for a chance to represent their confederation in the World Cup. If OFC ever merged with AFC, nations like New Zealand, Fiji, New Caledonia would never have a chance to play for a play-off spot let alone be eligible to qualify for a World Cup AFC berth.

As for Australia, they left OFC for AFC thinking their progression to the World Cup would be easier (no play-off with CONMEBOL or CONCACAF) plus their pot allocation would be better for them being in AFC (Pot 2 or 3 vice always Pot 4 based on FIFA rankings and confederation coefficients). That was a rare case with Australia.

The OFC nations already don't have a shot (besides New Zealand if they play a CONCACAF team that isn't Mexico) because they aren't that good.

I'm not saying slash the UEFA bids dramatically. Maybe cut it down to something like 10, and then give an extra bid to 3 of the other confederations.

10 bids is plenty for the traditional powers to get in. You'd have the occasional traditional power miss out, but that happens regardless, France in 90/94, Holland in 2002, and England in 94.

That goes back to my original argument. Would you rather see Panama, Senegal, and Jordan in the tournament over the three of the 4 UEFA teams that I mentioned earlier (Portugal, France, Croatia, and Greece)? Would that make the talent pool in this tournament better? That would just hurt the tournament.

Losing the Croats and Greeks would hardly be a tragedy. Greeks especially, or as they shall be henceforth called, the toothless terrors.

I'm pretty sure UEFA can rejigger its qualifying format to properly stack the deck in favor of Portugal and France as well.

Having Panama & Jordan take their place wouldn't be a great addition to the tournament either (it would be a downgrade IMO). Then again my opinion could be wrong so it would be better to go with TorinK's proposed playoff.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't exactly see a huge difference between the Kiwis getting their arses kicked and the Greeks not trying to win. Except the former might be more entertaining than the latter.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't exactly see a huge difference between the Kiwis getting their arses kicked and the Greeks not trying to win. Except the former might be more entertaining than the latter.

I guess we can agree to disagree on that one.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Letting OFC actually get a team in without needing a playoff would be a start.

So New Zealand can be in the World Cup every year? Beating a 4th place CONCAF team isn't really that difficult of a measure.

That 4th-place CONCACAF team (Mexico) has yet to lose in the World Cup after two matches.

Just sayin'....

The above conversation is far better than the match between Belgium and Russia. Maybe some new teams would be welcome at this level.

glory10.png

The playoff format would really help moderate the numbers of UEFA teams, while still giving everyone a chance.

For Example:

11th UEFA (France) vs 6th CAF (Egypt)

12th UEFA (Portugal) vs 6th AFC* (Uzbekistan)

13th UEFA (Croatia) vs 7th CONMEBOL* (Venezuela)

*5th Place AFC plays 6th Place CONMEBOL

If it's truly a tournament of the world's best teams, then the rules on how many teams per confederation passes should be a bit more relaxed to actually see the best teams go through.

Maybe give CONCACAF an automatic 4th spot and then merge OFC with AFC.

This is the best idea I've seen in this thread so far. I'm all for getting the best teams to the the finals and more intercontinental playoffs would definitely help.

Belgium has to be the most underwhelming team to have qualified for the Round of 16 so far.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The allocation of spots is fine. if a confederation had to give up a spot for the OFC, it should be CONMEBOL. UEFA is the only confederation that has had to give up spots for emerging countries. They went from having 13+home out of 24 in 90, to 14+home out of 32 to 13 in 2010. Meanwhile, the other traditional confederation, CONMEBOL, went from 3.5 in 94 to 4.5+ home this year. So this year, more than half of CONMEBOL was in the World Cup. UEFA has 54 members, it's not unreasonable for 1/4 of it to be in the World Cup. Brazil is the only nation from CONMEBOL that has won a World Cup in almost 30 years, and in that time period 4 different UEFA teams have won it.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

The allocation of spots is fine. if a confederation had to give up a spot for the OFC, it should be CONMEBOL. UEFA is the only confederation that has had to give up spots for emerging countries. They went from having 13+home out of 24 in 90, to 14+home out of 32 to 13 in 2010. Meanwhile, the other traditional confederation, CONMEBOL, went from 3.5 in 94 to 4.5+ home this year. So this year, more than half of CONMEBOL was in the World Cup. UEFA has 54 members, it's not unreasonable for 1/4 of it to be in the World Cup. Brazil is the only nation from CONMEBOL that has won a World Cup in almost 30 years, and in that time period 4 different UEFA teams have won it.

That's nice. AFC has 47 members and CAF has 54 (!). I would recommend against playing the "proportional representation" card, particularly as UEFA inflates its numbers by, among other things, granting each constituent country of the UK its own team.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You'll always have Starcraft South Korea.

Today, we are all otaku.

Why does UEFA get 13 teams again?

Let's wait and see how many UEFA teams get out of the group stage before we criticize the amount of teams they have in the tournament.

Regardless of how many teams get out of the group stage, 40% of the teams is way too big of a percentage for one federation.

So who should we give a some of UEFA's spots to?

The only group I could see an argument for is CONEMBOL because it's absurd that they only has 6 teams. Anything else and you are going to lose me.

Yes the World Cup is about the entire world watching football/soccer/calcio/futbol but it is also about seeing the best teams competing.

I don't see how Jordan (the AFC team that almost qualified), Panama (the CONCACAF team that almost qualified), and one of the African teams that almost qualified (Ethiopia, Burkina Faso, Egypt, Tunisia, and Senegal) would be something that people want to see. Especially over some of the UEFA teams that almost didn't make it (France, Portugal, Croatia, and Greece).

Actually CONMEBOL only has 4 automatic bids, there is a playoff between the 5th CONMEBOL and 5th AFC squads (which they usually win), they have an extra one this year because of host Brazil.

That said, I like the idea of having the bottom UEFA teams playing the 5th CONCACAF, 6th CONMEBOL, and 6th CAF squads. Keeping the current playoffs as well.

Also, it's only going to get worse as they're going to see 14 in 2018 with Russia hosting.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

The bottom 3 UEFA playoff vs. other federations would be pretty neat, but I don't know whether to go with CONMEBOL or CONCACAF for one of the spots. I'd agree on AFC and CAF for two, not sure on the third confederation. I'm not entirely on board with the potential 5th CONCACAF bid as much as we've been cheerleading CONCACAF this World Cup, but at the same time CONMEBOL's already got an extremely high percentage of qualifiers per its membership. I guess 6th place CONMEBOL facing the 11th place UEFA wouldn't be too bad, though, and could yield a fairly good side heading in regardless.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

The bottom 3 UEFA playoff vs. other federations would be pretty neat, but I don't know whether to go with CONMEBOL or CONCACAF for one of the spots. I'd agree on AFC and CAF for two, not sure on the third confederation. I'm not entirely on board with the potential 5th CONCACAF bid as much as we've been cheerleading CONCACAF this World Cup, but at the same time CONMEBOL's already got an extremely high percentage of qualifiers per its membership. I guess 6th place CONMEBOL facing the 11th place UEFA wouldn't be too bad, though, and could yield a fairly good side heading in regardless.

I'm not sure how the 6th-best AFC team, is better than the 5th-best CONCACAF team. 0 Asian teams are in a favorable spot to advance right now, while 3 North American teams are at least in a solid sport to advance (Costa Rica already has.)

Wow I cant believe how badly the Koreans are playing right now...the Algerians are running rampant on them, especially down the right side of the Korean midlfield. First African side to ever score four goals at the World Cup.

I love how Korea scores right after he posted this.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I'm not sure how the 6th-best AFC team, is better than the 5th-best CONCACAF team. 0 Asian teams are in a favorable spot to advance right now, while 3 North American teams are at least in a solid sport to advance (Costa Rica already has.)

Wow I cant believe how badly the Koreans are playing right now...the Algerians are running rampant on them, especially down the right side of the Korean midlfield. First African side to ever score four goals at the World Cup.

I love how Korea scores right after he posted this.

oh I totally forgot about the AFC having its 5th place side go to a playoff.. then yeah, I guess have CONCACAF the third playoff. I'm still not buying CONCACAF as a whole with the idea that US, Mexico, and Costa Rica doing well = Panama's totally gonna do well too!, though. I think 4's fine for the federation, as long as the 4th place is permanent rather than a playoff. But yeah, 5th CONCACAF vs. 12th UEFA's fine.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

That's nice. AFC has 47 members and CAF has 54 (!). I would recommend against playing the "proportional representation" card, particularly as UEFA inflates its numbers by, among other things, granting each constituent country of the UK its own team.

Sorry but I take offense at that. I am English born. The United Kingdom is not a country. I am not Welsh, Scottish or Irish.

So also by your reckoning all of Scandinavia should be classed a one single country. Iberia as one country. Heck lets take it further any country connected to each other to be classed as one whole country.

glory10.png

Sorry but I take offense at that. I am English born. The United Kingdom is not a country. I am not Welsh, Scottish or Irish.

Your ancestors should have thought about that before passing the 1707 and 1800 Acts of Union. Britain is a bit more united from a governmental perspective than a personal union set up.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived