North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the Red Bulls? Sure. As a team? Nah.

Red Bull — understandably so — wants to invest in Leipzig. Who might be playing in the Bundesliga next year. There's no reason for them to put money into New York any more really and if they can make a quick $300 million, that's money they can figure out a way to invest into RBL.

And when you really think about it, $300 million for this whole package is actually one hell of a deal. For that, you get...

• A spot in MLS. That'd run you at least $100 million in the hole now.
  • A ready-built stadium. It cost Red Bull $200 million when it was built — that's worth $216 million today.
  • A team that's ready to play and contend from day one. Granted, Henry won't be around but still, you've got a solid setup there.

The thought is that the current Cosmos don't have $300 million right now. That's not to say they couldn't get more funding from somewhere. I'd love to see that happen if for no other reason than the pure hilarity.

6fQjS3M.png

My thought is can 2 NYC area teams coexist on the MLS level? We have yet to see if it can work in LA because the Chivas franchise has been pretty much a clusterf@*k from the start. The buzz for the NYCFC team seems pretty high. So can the Red Bulls or whatever they will be in the future survive?

Red Bull — understandably so — wants to invest in Leipzig. Who might be playing in the Bundesliga next year. There's no reason for them to put money into New York any more really and if they can make a quick $300 million, that's money they can figure out a way to invest into RBL.

And when you really think about it, $300 million for this whole package is actually one hell of a deal. For that, you get...

• A ready-built stadium. It cost Red Bull $200 million when it was built — that's worth $216 million today.
  • A team that's ready to play and contend from day one. Granted, Henry won't be around but still, you've got a solid setup there.

The thought is that the current Cosmos don't have $300 million right now. That's not to say they couldn't get more funding from somewhere. I'd love to see that happen if for no other reason than the pure hilarity.

In a perfect world, the Glazers should purchase the team, set up a rivalry with NYCFC, but that won't happen.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

In a perfect world, the Glazers should purchase the team

No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

I want owners in MLS that are committed to making the league one of the best in the world, not owners that simply see their clubs as second-fiddle in an "empire."

Kind of like how Red Bull GmbH sees the club right now.

6fQjS3M.png

I don't think $300M would be a problem for the Cosmos, considering that they have the money to privately fund a stadium on Long Island, if the state would just give them permission to develop the land. There's this talk that they're somehow cash-poor, but it doesn't seem anything more than empty talk. They're owned by Saudi Arabian interests, after all. We have no idea how deep their pockets are.

That being said, you're right. $300M would be a pretty good deal for this club. If the reports are true, I don't think Red Bull would have any problem finding a buyer if that's their starting price.

Ok let me revise: Orlando & NYCFC in 2015. Atlanta & Sacramento in 2017. Miami & LA2 in 2019.

Still not convinced Sacramento is a lock for 2017. They're on the right track but until they have a stadium I don't see MLS going out of their way to give them a team just yet.

As for the Cosmos and the Red Bull likelihood of being sold... only if MLS wants them I suspect. But it would behoove the Cosmos to try. Their NASL misadventure is proving to have been an overabitious mistake.

Still not convinced Sacramento is a lock for 2017. They're on the right track but until they have a stadium I don't see MLS going out of their way to give them a team just yet.

As for the Cosmos and the Red Bull likelihood of being sold... only if MLS wants them I suspect. But it would behoove the Cosmos to try. Their NASL misadventure is proving to have been an overabitious mistake.

Agreed 100% on Sacramento. You need to be an exceptional market to get a slot without having the stadium deal in place.

Much less so on the Cosmos - we don't know their business plan, so "mistake" is premature. Especially if they do get their Belmont stadium (which I have long maintained is itself a mistake, but still). If they can carve out a niche as Long Island's affordable minor-league soccer team, that's not necessarily a bad thing. It might not be what they were envisioning two years ago, but it might well be their plan today.

Agreed on Sacramento. Much less so on the Cosmos - we don't know their business plan, so "mistake" is premature. Especially if they do get their Belmont stadium (which I have long maintained is itself a mistake, but still). If they can carve out a niche as Long Island's affordable minor-league soccer team, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The issue with the Cosmos is that the "Long Island's affordable *lower-league soccer team" thing isn't what they want to be. They could be wildly successful IMO doing just that. But that doesn't seem to be their ambition.

6fQjS3M.png

If I remember correctly I believe the fact that the Cosmos ownership wanted 100% control of their brand while still being members of the league which caused negotiations between MLS and the Cosmos to eventually breakdown.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Then I don't see how things would change this time around. MLS has demonstrated that they can very easily find very wealthy owners that won't hassle them as much as the Cosmos owners did during the NY2 negotiations. Why would the league entertain them again?

I think it's more about when Beckham will get tired of waiting, and exercise his option in another, more receptive, city.

Then I don't see how things would change this time around. MLS has demonstrated that they can very easily find very wealthy owners that won't hassle them as much as the Cosmos owners did during the NY2 negotiations. Why would the league entertain them again?

Depends. I don't know that the Cosmos "hassled them", just that the two parties couldn't come to an agreement. That needn't mean bad blood.

If Sela Sports is willing to pay the most for the Red Bulls, and they're willing to give up control of their trademarks and other assets to the single-entity structure, then sure. I can see it. There's still value in that brand, more I daresay than in the Red Bulls or Metros at this point.

Do I think it's likely? No. But it's certainly plausible.

Depends. I don't know that the Cosmos "hassled them", just that the two parties couldn't come to an agreement. That needn't mean bad blood.

If Sela Sports is willing to pay the most for the Red Bulls, and they're willing to give up control of their trademarks and other assets to the single-entity structure, then sure. I can see it. There's still value in that brand, more I daresay than in the Red Bulls or Metros at this point.

Do I think it's likely? No. But it's certainly plausible.

I do believe that there is some animosity between MLS and the Cosmos now due to the 'Mos constantly talking about challenging MLS with what they pulled in the MLS Draft with Vancouver's pick.

I also don't think that the Cosmos ownership will be willing to give up that kind of control and do a 180 on their previous position unless they are really desperate.

We don't know that. At all.

The Cosmos have been around for nearly a season and a half now and still can't draw jack :censored:. You'd think they'd think about changing things up at this point.

I wouldn't say that the Cosmos can't draw jack, since they are in the middle of pack attendance wise in the NASL, but for a club that wants to try and compete with NYCFC and RBNY it's definitely not ideal.

http://dohertysoccer.com/2014-lower-division-american-soccer-attendances/2014-nasl-season-attendance-log/

Archived