The Spirits of St Louis may finally be gone

Gothamite

The New York Times is reporting that the NBA is close to a buyout deal with the owners of the former ABA team Spirits of St. Louis, who negotiated a unique payout when the leagues merged:

The Spirits were excluded from the 1976 merger of the two leagues. So the Silnas watched unhappily as the New York (now Brooklyn) Nets, the Denver Nuggets, the Indiana Pacers and the San Antonio Spurs were absorbed into the N.B.A. But the Silnas negotiated an astonishing benefit that was critical to the merger: an agreement to be paid one-seventh of the national television revenue that each of the four teams was to receive, as long as the league continued to exist. That amounted to being paid in perpetuity, and so far, the deal has provided the Silnas with about $300 million.

Looks like it'll cost the NBA another $500 million to be out from under that deal....

I came thisclose to starting a thread on this, then I checked the NBA megathread. I think it's worthy of its own, and based on previous statements I bet you haven't wandered in there. (But for the love of Brooklyn, please check out a Nets game.)

Here's my take:

Seems they got greedy, wanted a piece of NBATV and League Pass. And they might have had a case ... but don't negotiate out of eternity.

So... is St.Louis open for NBA business now? (Not that it's a good idea...)

Silnas were absolute GENIUSES. Without the overhead of actually having to pay for a team, they have managed to rake in a ridiculous amount of revenue, and are set to make even more.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I dunno, something tells me not to accept a buyout of something that would otherwise be paid IN PERPETUITY - do the payments continue to the Silnas' families after they've died, or is it just for their lifetimes? If it's just for their lifetimes, the guys are 80 and 69. Take the $500 million buyout (that's paid $300 million since 1976) and run grinning to the bank. You've more than set up a comfortable life for the next few generations of your family.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Seems like a pretty good deal to me. A bunch of teams got screwed in that deal. They should've just absorbed them all.

But, Southern California would've had three teams...

Who would have been the 3rd team? The Sails had folded well before the merger happened. And if they hadn't the Clippers wouldn't have moved to San Diego in the first place (and then subsequently LA).

Had the NBA said all six teams could've come in, the Spirits would've moved to Utah and become the Rockies. What would've happened to the Jazz? Do they tough it out in New Orleans? Move to St.Louis or one of the cities that got an expansion team in the late 80's?

I came thisclose to starting a thread on this, then I checked the NBA megathread. I think it's worthy of its own, and based on previous statements I bet you haven't wandered in there. (But for the love of Brooklyn, please check out a Nets game.)

Funny you should mention that. Saw my first game last night - good fun at Atlantic Yards.

So... is St.Louis open for NBA business now?

They didn't own the territory. A team could have moved in before, if one had wanted to.

The Blues hold the master lease on the arena and are struggling at the gate with the best or second-best team in the league and their best shot at a Cup since Hull and Pronger were there. The Rams still aren't where they ought to be. I don't have a lot of confidence in giving them a fourth team when they're barely all that jazzed about their second and third.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Had the NBA said all six teams could've come in, the Spirits would've moved to Utah and become the Rockies. What would've happened to the Jazz? Do they tough it out in New Orleans? Move to St.Louis or one of the cities that got an expansion team in the late 80's?

No way the Jazz were going to St. Louis. The Spirits' low attendance was one of the primary reasons they were looking to move to Utah.

At the risk of derailing this thread, the Jazz probably would've gone to Dallas.

Seems like a pretty good deal to me. A bunch of teams got screwed in that deal. They should've just absorbed them all.

But, Southern California would've had three teams...

Nope. Sails died midseason.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Funny you should mention that. Saw my first game last night - good fun at Atlantic Yards.

They didn't own the territory. A team could have moved in before, if one had wanted to.
Glad to hear it. Figured you'd have to eventually try it once...

As far as St.Louis, I'm not sure where I got the idea that the old Spirits owners had a claim. Perhaps I had inadvertently sweetened "the greatest deal in sports."

No matter, there's no room for the NBA for all the reasons admiral listed. Keep/get the Blues and Rams in order first. Even a Rams exit wouldn't make a difference.

As far as St.Louis, I'm not sure where I got the idea that the old Spirits owners had a claim. Perhaps I had inadvertently sweetened "the greatest deal in sports."

No matter, there's no room for the NBA for all the reasons admiral listed. Keep/get the Blues and Rams in order first. Even a Rams exit wouldn't make a difference.

I think it gets confused with the story of Ole Haugsrud and the Minnesota Vikings.

That Spirits deal has to be the best deal in the history of sports, right?

Possibly in the history of business. Though, I hear the Louisiana Purchase paid some pretty good dividends down the road.

I thought the best deal ever in business was colonials buying the island of Manhattan from Native Americans for $24.

Possibly in the history of business. Though, I hear the Louisiana Purchase paid some pretty good dividends down the road.

I thought the best deal ever in business was colonials buying the island of Manhattan from Native Americans for $24.

Eh, I don't think it mattered if colonials paid or not, that deal was "getting done."

I mean, if the Native Americans had played hardball at $50, would the colonials have just said "ah, :censored: it, let's go back to Holland?"

6fQjS3M.png

There's a lot of debate on whether Peter Minuit actually bought the island of Manhattan, and if he did, if he bought it from the tribe that actually "owned" it (assuming property ownership was even a concept to the Indians living there).

Eh, I don't think it mattered if colonials paid or not, that deal was "getting done."

I mean, if the Native Americans had played hardball at $50, would the colonials have just said "ah, :censored: it, let's go back to Holland?"

I LOL'ed.

Yeah, given the later history of the contient, Peter Minuit got hosed. :P

But as to the territorial rights, that was a common misconception until relatively recently. Seem to recall it was dispelled around the last lockout, that they were still getting paid but didn't actually hold any rights to the city.

Archived