Pittsburgh Steelers official Instagram posts picture of chrome helmet

TheFallenHaveRisen

I hilariously wore that facemask this season for my high school team

pretty sure schutt stopped making those masks over 30 years ago...nothing more than an office decoration that's been around since the 80's

they stopped making them in 2005. Surprising yes

I hilariously wore that facemask this season for my high school team

pretty sure schutt stopped making those masks over 30 years ago...nothing more than an office decoration that's been around since the 80's

they stopped making them in 2005. Surprising yes

To clarify that style (let's call it the Thurman Thomas or Bart Oates) may have been discontinued in '05 but that construction method of that style of mask was discontinued in the 80's. I'm guessing around '88 or so schutt went to a thinner steel and rubber coating construction that they still use today. The best way you can tell is the side fasteners face the opposite direction of modern masks. For reference look back to the 2nd 9ers Bengals superbowl. John Taylor and Jerry Rice both wore the same style schutt mask but Rice had the modern construction and Taylor was the lone holdout with the thicker old style.

The chromed chinstrap. The facemask. The lack of any padding. This is clearly just a decorative piece. If the photo went lower, it would likely reveal the helmet to be mounted on some wooden block.

THIS. Repeatedly. The whole damn helmets been dipped in chrome, chinstrap included. It's a decoration.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Anybody notice the team name? This is obviously something US Steel or maybe Franco Harris or someone gave Art Rooney as a memento. A Steel Helmet OMG LOLZ CUZ THEYRE THE STEELERS. The equivalent of Michael "A Chorus Line" Bennett giving Gerry Schoenfeld, owner of the Shubert Theatre, a silver top hat as a gift.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

Archived