San Jose Earthquakes Unveil New Logo and Uniforms

BrySmalls

i like the logo on the jersey

See that's the part I hate. The new logo is terrible. Using the nickname rather than the full name, and it just seems like a waste of space in the bottom left. The jerseys themselves however aren't bad. I like the move away from the outgoing black kit. It wasn't supposed to be their main color, it was always the accent color with the shorts, not the primary. And adding red as the clash jersey makes sense both from a historical perspective and simply the purpose of a clash jersey (to clash) vs the outgoing white. Just can't figure out if the arms are navy or black on the primary. Looking at pictures on two different websites it looks like it could be either. The guy who broke it said navy, but he's going by one version of the photo.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll withhold judgement till I see the full unveil, but...

- The crest looks rather bland, and I really don't like that it just says Quakes and not Earthquakes.

- Really like the sublimated chevron look, but something a bit less subtle might have been good, particularly because SJ does not have a kit sponsor (unless that is changing this season)

- I still don't like black and blue as a colour scheme, even with more blue this time around. Some red in the home kit may have changed my opinion.

But, like I said, I'll withhold judgement until tonight ;)

- The crest looks rather bland, and I really don't like that it just says Quakes and not Earthquakes.

- Really like the sublimated chevron look, but something a bit less subtle might have been good, particularly because SJ does not have a kit sponsor (unless that is changing this season)

- I still don't like black and blue as a colour scheme, even with more blue this time around. Some red in the home kit may have changed my opinion.

Rumor is they've already got an offer in for a jersey sponsor and they're just waiting to hear back from another company before they sign off on it. Looks like they'll have a sponsor in either 2014 or 15.

There's no way those are for real. It'd be very, very odd for them to have that text treatment on their twitter account but not have it on their crest anywhere.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

the "A"'s don't fit and run into into the other letters

Yeah - I can't believe nobody noticed that before they unveiled the design.

Why? There's nothing wrong with it. It's far better to have that than awkward negative space around the a's.
My response was (apparently too-subtle) sarcasm, as his comment about the "A's not fitting" indicated it was somehow an accident and not a design element.

Gotcha. My bad.

Rumor is they've already got an offer in for a jersey sponsor and they're just waiting to hear back from another company before they sign off on it. Looks like they'll have a sponsor in either 2014 or 15.

I always thought VW would be the best logo because of the blue matching VW's color. Even though I don't think it will happen. When VW dropped DC United I decided to keep my dream alive.

I don't like jerseys with sponsors on it but because I'm VW person having both my team and car I like. That's one I actually would.

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

It seems odd to me that they would use chevrons because they are a large part of the Timber's identity. Not a big fan of the crest on that mock up nor the fault line impressions on the jersey. They never show up or look as good as they do on paper.

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

There's no way those are for real. It'd be very, very odd for them to have that text treatment on their twitter account but not have it on their crest anywhere.

It's on the crest if you look closely. And the "Quakes" on the crest is the same text treatment minus the "Earth"

3 minutes

And and hour. It's not being unveiled for another hour.

It seems odd to me that they would use chevrons because they are a large part of the Timber's identity. Not a big fan of the crest on that mock up nor the fault line impressions on the jersey. They never show up or look as good as they do on paper.

They're technically not chevrons if I understand what they're doing. They're geologic striations between different rock layers.

This essentially.

707261.jpg

And the offset nature is supposed to represent what happens to those striations on a fault line during an Earthquake. It's actually the best physical manifestation of an Earthquake they could have come up with.

Yeah, it's brilliant - as simple as it is effective.

It seems odd to me that they would use chevrons because they are a large part of the Timber's identity.

Do the Timbers ever use theirs as a stand-alone logo? If not, then I'm not sure I see the problem. Especially since the Quakes' chevrons are upside-down and offset, resulting in a totally different effect.

It's on the crest if you look closely. And the "Quakes" on the crest is the same text treatment minus the "Earth"

Yeah, that's not nearly the same. Note the kerning, for starters; never mind the actual characters themselves.

POTD 2013-08-22

Yeah, that's not nearly the same. Note the kerning, for starters; never mind the actual characters themselves.

It's the same. Look at an actual picture of the jersey rather than that guy's incorrect mock up. The sleeves are black (not navy) on the real jersey and the wordmark in the actual crest is the same as the full EARTHQUAKES wordmark minus the "EARTH", not that thinner font he used in the mockup that lacked the A overlaps and such.

63411.jpg

Well, damn... I must have left my psychic abilities to see an unposted image in my other pants.

That crest is just awful. I might go as far to say it's a downgrade; I wasn't sure that was really possible, but there you go.

Meh on the black sleeves, but I dig the return to blue shirts (black shorts?) and like the pattern on the front.

POTD 2013-08-22

Well, damn... I must have left my psychic abilities to see an unposted image in my other pants.

That crest is just awful. I might go as far to say it's a downgrade; I wasn't sure that was really possible, but there you go.

Meh on the black sleeves, but I dig the return to blue shirts (black shorts?) and like the pattern on the front.

I thought the crest was a downgrade on first glance too. But having sat with it for a while I'm actually starting to appreciate it. It's got the ball representing San Jose (and the Bay Area) on the California coast which is that white diagonal line. The white line also is an obvious allusion to the grandaddy fault of them all the San Andreas which cuts across the region at roughly that angle. The empty space is the pacific (or pacific plate), the chevrons the striated land (or North American plate). They've finally incorporated the team's founding year. The only thing I can really knock about it is the lack of full name. I don't like using the nickname.

Archived