San Jose Earthquakes Unveil New Logo and Uniforms

BrySmalls

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1974 is not the founding of that team, though.

Of the MLS franchise, no. But they can tenuously trace their direct ownership back to the 1974 Quakes. And the fanbase, name, etc... all go back to 1974. And they've been incorporating the 1974 Quakes into things for years now having the old NASL player nights, wearing the throwbacks, naming the gates at Buck Shaw after old NASL greats, retiring their numbers, etc...

Tenuously at best, I'm sure... much like the Cosmos.

I like teams incorporating the past; the red as an homage is cool. But I hate it when teams pretend they're the same team that played many years ago when they're clearly not.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Tenuously at best, I'm sure... much like the Cosmos.

I like teams incorporating the past; the red as an homage is cool. But I hate it when teams pretend they're the same team that played many years ago when they're clearly not.

Not as tenuous as that. The MLS version of the Quakes can actually trace themselves back to the original 1974 Quakes via the SF Bay Blackhawks. It's very roundabout, but it's there. Unlike the neo-Cosmos who have no ties to the original ones.

Here's what the full kits look like. After 9 years the Quakes are finally back in the blue jersey, black short combo that they won their two championships wearing. And the away kit is obviously an allusion to the old 1974 kits. Overall this is a great upgrade for them.

BfRtG2ICQAEFVFd.jpg

My only complaint is using the shortened name on the crest. But from their other marketing stuff it seems apparent the full name is still San Jose Earthquakes absent any annoying FC's or SC's.

Big departure, but the old one is terrible so that's a good thing. Apart from previously-mentioned concerns with the Timbers already using the chevrons as a design element, I think this is a cleverly designed, modern crest. Upgrade.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

The crest is inconsistent and frankly looks like a mishmash with an awful an awful soccer ball to boot.

Not really. The Quakes logo has always featured a 1968 World Cup soccer ball. And many of the world's biggest teams have soccer balls on their logos, usually from the era in which their teams were founded, same as this.

Ahh, marketing speak. Spinning on its axis? Really? Can you smell what you're shoveling?

There are parts of this I like, but overall it just feels muddled and not thought out well. It's like the put the pieces of the puzzle together completely wrong.

At least you can't see their tenuous link to the past, since the red disappears on the black.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Ahh, marketing speak. Spinning on its axis? Really?

Amazing, isn't it? Teams have been ramping it up every year, it's approaching parody.

And I was obviously reading too much into it - the "axis" looked to me to be a stylized representation of California. But if they'd thought of that, it would have been in large print on the spec sheet.

The crest is inconsistent and frankly looks like a mishmash with an awful an awful soccer ball to boot.

Not really. The Quakes logo has always featured a 1968 World Cup soccer ball. And many of the world's biggest teams have soccer balls on their logos, usually from the era in which their teams were founded, same as this.

It's more the rendering I have a problem with, drop the shadow and limit the contrast between the black and gray of the ball. I know the ball is suppose to represent the globe, but it sticks out far too much and pushes the best part of the shield, the chevrons to, the background. I also think the crest would be improved with the red fault line from the the chevrons revealed in the preview.

In the video, they say the lines are a "IMPACT" pattern.

Its true in the end. Those black and blue lines reminds me of something ;-) kidding

Now, they are too shy on red. I would at least draw that little blue line left the "axis" in red instead of blue. Else then "1974", theres no graphical element in red and it look a bit strange. I mean, you add red or you dont add red. Its nothing major.

I like the logo and jerseys. Also, same comment on the "Quakes" mention, but I can live with it. Congrats.

Archived