If NFL Logos were Hipsters

Kon Karne

maybe because i'm out of the loop, but exactly what is a hipster? I've seen the term thrown around but i've always thought it to have meant offspring of hippies. Granted where I live the populous consists of rednecks, cowboys, church goers and people that work at walmart.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

maybe because i'm out of the loop, but exactly what is a hipster?

A pretentious douchebag that loves organic foods, underground indie rock, and American Spirit cigarettes. They can usually be spotted riding fixed gear bicycles wearing dirty facial hair, suspenders, big-rimmed glasses without the lenses (or with plastic zero lenses), and unnecessary scarves and beanies. Their home bases of operation are Brooklyn, NY, Austin, TX, and Portland, OR.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

A pretentious douchebag that loves organic foods, underground indie rock, and American Spirit cigarettes. They can usually be spotted riding fixed gear bicycles wearing dirty facial hair, suspenders, big-rimmed glasses without the lenses (or with plastic zero lenses), and unnecessary scarves and beanies. Their home bases of operation are Brooklyn, NY, Austin, TX, and Portland, OR.

and I like Austin and Portland. Does that make me a hipster? :P

seems like they dislike anything mainstream but have a fascination with Starbucks which is one of the most mainstream coffee places there is. Course I prefer my wife's coffee over any coffee house.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Um Asheville, NC is like hipster capital, trust me.

Can 2014 PLEASE be the year we finally kill the term "hipster," or at least admit that those who use it are actually more pretentious than those they're applying it to ("Damn hipsters always have to be different. They need to get over themselves and start doing things the way I, a normal person, does them!")

maybe because i'm out of the loop, but exactly what is a hipster? I've seen the term thrown around but i've always thought it to have meant offspring of hippies. Granted where I live the populous consists of rednecks, cowboys, church goers and people that work at walmart.

They're the children of Baby Boomer yuppies. They graduated from prestigious universities with degrees related to computers and science, and have inside networks earned their place to working at some of the most affluent technological companies today (Google, Apple, Buzzfeed, Facebook). Lesser-rung hipsters complain about everyday, necessary expenses (car, gas, student loans, rent) but have no problem forking over $500-600 every six months for the latest iPhone, or $5-6 for the medium sized latte at Starbucks. These people frequently use 140 characters or less to hashtag everything, or use stupid, cliched acronyms (YOLO), while at the same time believing everything on MTV and E! is real (Kardashians, Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, anything involving the Real Housewives). They hang out and settle in some of the most affluent places in America, and are directly responsible for the explosion in urban gentrification, kicking out immigrants and working-class people into homelessness (Brooklyn, Austin, Echo Park, Downtown LA).

If employers have a valid case to refusing to hire 20-something's in place of keeping older people in the workforce, it's the stereotypes placed by hipsters.

Don't forget Silver Lake and San Francisco!

Bohemian bourgeois =/= hipster

Sorry, Hipsters, there's probably a good reason people would rather listen to Justin Bieber (not a fan) than your favorite indie rocker.

In fact, most of my favorite things happen to be mainstream.

You're being willfully dumb. There are things that are good that do not have heavy promotion behind them. "Most of my favorite things happen to be mainstream"? You sound like a robot built by Darren Rovell.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

and I like Austin and Portland. Does that make me a hipster? :P

No. I like Austin (I live here, right?). Austin, like the other cities mentioned, has become beyond full of itself. The poster forgot "rescued" dogs, likes beer you've never heard of, likes a band you've never heard of (until either becomes even semi-mainstream, then all bets are off.)

The most obvious, yet overlooked aspect of hipster behavior is the condescending, boorish tone they all take when discussing really…anything.

newsig.jpg

The logos are average but the captions are pretty funny.

Now on to the term Hipster. I find it weird that people that shun things that mainstream or hip are labeled "hipsters." That almost implies they are for such things, not against them. That's like calling people that hate sneaker culture "sneaker heads."

Archived