How is it that most NBA teams (and other leagues too) STILL have bad looks?

eliasrappaport

If you think about the NBA and the consensus good looking teams you probably think of around 10-15. How is that possible? With all of the concepts that people see and think are great or with all the retro looks people want back, how is it that a team can still look horrible? The NBA has been around since the 1940s. That's 70 years! The Sixers for example have a bad look, but great retro looks that they can switch to at anytime. If they switch to the 1970s jerseys, BOOM they are now a top 10 look. If the Magic contact that user R_E_D_D_I_T and get permission to use his Magic logo that everyone thinks is sick, boom they're top 10 too. It just amazes me. How about the Hawks? That 1980s Wilkins look in great. Use it!

Couldn't care less about the Lakers' logo but they should go back to their pre-Staples Center uniforms.

BUjsC-UCMAAiSpD.jpg

Thunder is the worst of all NBA. Logos and uniforms just look like a new added team to D-League and they still haven't rebrand.

I'm not sure if being a small market matters but most teams don't rebrand when they're on top of their game. I agree though. Worst logo in the league.

thundersignature.png

and

sport-scarf_bucs_zpsc424092b.png

But if that Sixers uni was worn now, it would still be in the top half of the league.

That's cause jerseys keep getting worse and worse. Downgrades all over.

2/3 of the league's franchises have very little, if any tradition and barely any visual identity. The league is also not very strong in terms of controlling identities within the league like nfl properties does. When you combine these two factors you've created so much visual churn by these mediocre franchises trying to chase the sports trend of the moment. Lastly you've had rbk/adi have way too much influence in redesigns and they are flat out poor designers. The only good progressive basketball designs that are coming out are Nike's ncaa line which isn't saying much for the state of basketball design.

The thing is though that most teams could have a traditional look. Really, every team in the league has had a look that I've liked.

Blazers: Any era

Bobcats: 90's hornets

Bucks: 80's

Bulls: Now

Cavaliers: Now (one of the only teams with no "good" look)

Celtics: Now

Clippers: 70's

Grizzlies: Early 2000's

Hawks: 80's

Heat: 90's

Jazz: Late 90's or 80's

Kings: Now

Knicks: Now

Lakers: 90's

Magic: 90's

Mavericks: 90's

Nets: Now

Nuggets: Current Alt or 80's rainbow

Pacers: Early 2000's

Pelicans: 08-12 but put Pelicans on front

Pistons: 90's or 80's

Raptors: Early 2000's

Rockets: Current Alt

Sixers: 1976

Spurs: Now

Suns: 90's

Thunder: 80's Sonics

Timberwolves: Mid 2000's

Warriors: Now

Wizards: Now

As you can see, from my point of view, only 10 out of 30 teams have full sets that I fully like. A couple of teams have alts that should be jerseys. The rest of the league is littered with good jerseys from the past, that were thrown away for inferior updates. If the league looked like how I just laid it out, I think many would agree (with a couple disagreements of course) that the league would look almost perfect. The look is there. It's just hidden in the past.

This was already touched upon but the main reason NBA and MLB teams don't have great logos, and simply just recolor their old logos when its time for a change, is that they don;t use their logos that much. The uniforms mainly just have wordmarks, so thats the important thing.. have a good color scheme and a strong wordmark. Hockey and Football rely very heavily on logos for their branding, basketball and baseball not so much. The only place an NBA logo needs to look good is at center court, and you see so many teams using what is technically their alternate logo at center court because (we assume) they are less restricted in NBA rules about what that needs to look like, and not as costly to add. And baseball .. htink about it when do you see a team's primary logo? You see the cap logo a lot... but a lot of times you only see the primary logo on network graphics and things like that. And more and more you see teams just saying the hell with it, our cap logo is now our primary. No need for both (Detroit, Boston, Angels, Pirates, basically Miami, Arizona.... and a lot of other teams just have their cap logo in a roundel). So it all comes down to necessity.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Thunder is the worst of all NBA. Logos and uniforms just look like a new added team to D-League and they still haven't rebrand.

The reason the logo is so bad and generic is because they had to design it before the team even had a name. They were still trying to pry the team from Seattle at the time (I think they thought they would be able to keep the Supersonics name at the time). The crappy colors and uniforms are on them, though.

The reason the logo is so bad and generic is because they had to design it before the team even had a name. They were still trying to pry the team from Seattle at the time (I think they thought they would be able to keep the Supersonics name at the time). The crappy colors and uniforms are on them, though.

As a Sonics fan, I love every year that the Thunder don't rebrand and continue to look like a generic basketball team. They resemble the generic "basketball" jerseys for toddlers at Target. Never change!

The thunder logo is atrocious but their on-court look has grown on me. I think their color combo is pretty unique and their uniforms are simple and classic. Maybe it's the winning that does that... The same thing happen with the Tampa Bay Rays.. Something about being good makes a terrible brand look better.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I'd rather see the Suns in something like this -

sunsdraftpicks_1986_hornace.jpg

One of my all-time favorite uniforms...if it would have been better if the present-day Suns went with a modern-day interpretation of those unis.

I was hoping for a more modern version of that set too. I just wish that when NBA teams rebrand they could find a happy medium in uniform design somewhere between the over the top '90s and the bland, cookie cutter crap of today.

Archived