Milwaukee Bucks Originals Update - Bucks Unveil Jersey Changes for 2014-15

Elwood

Go Gators and Go Badgers! I'll worry about how to deal with mixed emotions once they play each other in the National Championship. I think the decision will be based on whether or not my family threatens to disown me.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go Gators and Go Badgers! I'll worry about how to deal with mixed emotions once they play each other in the National Championship. I think the decision will be based on whether or not my family threatens to disown me.

Don't be so sure that both teams are going to the championship.

UW-Green Bay "Bay Badgers" (they became the Phoenix in 1970)…

preMay1970UW-GreenBayquotBayBadgersquotp

Back then, before breaking away from the "Bay Badgers" identity and embracing "Phoenix," UWGB even had a marching band. Here's yours truly in 1995, modeling the old uniform. This is how you do "throwback," kids.

5815_100583226621218_6815708_n.jpg

Now on Facebook. And Twitter.

illwauk, great info on the UWM Cardinals!

The Thrill, fantastic "vintage" photos and thank you for posting them!

What an incredible game! Hats off to the Kentucky Wildcats and best of luck in the NCAA Finals. Tough ending for one of the best Badger teams in history, but what fun it was to follow them throughout this memorable season. Go get 'em next year Bucky!

BeckyBadger_zps6a4862ba.jpg

6f464e55-6abd-4e92-8ed3-55294054cd9a_zps4cb745f0-396d-406b-aa2d-41a0409c5d7a_zps21dbccf3-aad2-4b7e-8950-645ef30f9d11_zps

Elwood you work at the library or Wisconsin archives that resembles the end of Indiana Jones?? :-P

"Indy!" or perhaps Star Wars ending? I'm neither a librarian nor an archivist at Wisconsin, but I did spend some time at Skywalker Ranch in Marin County, CA and worked with technicians who designed the sound effects for "The Temple of Doom." The scenery and buildings were exquisite and I got to sit in George Lucas's screening chair :) They do have a pond called Lake Ewok, if you meant Becky Badger looks like an Ewok.

Skywalker-Ranch_01-ab657ff3dfed_zpseb02f

I still have t-shirts with their logo:

Skywalker-Ranch_02-b492f6152dce_zpsc46a8

Speaking of t-shirts, here are a few vintage Bucks and one UWGB jersey. I love the colors:

VintageMilwaukeeBucksShirt_zpsd7a53e5d.j

1980s-VintageMilwaukeeBucksT-ShirtChampi

MilwaukeeBucksBobLanierTShirt_zps98fb06f

1990s-UWGBPHOENIX_zpscb9f075b.jpg

6f464e55-6abd-4e92-8ed3-55294054cd9a_zps4cb745f0-396d-406b-aa2d-41a0409c5d7a_zps21dbccf3-aad2-4b7e-8950-645ef30f9d11_zps

UW-Green Bay "Bay Badgers" (they became the Phoenix in 1970)…

preMay1970UW-GreenBayquotBayBadgersquotp

Back then, before breaking away from the "Bay Badgers" identity and embracing "Phoenix," UWGB even had a marching band. Here's yours truly in 1995, modeling the old uniform. This is how you do "throwback," kids.

5815_100583226621218_6815708_n.jpg

Cool uniforms... I had no idea that UWGB used to be in Appleton. :D

Classic gems! If Milwaukee went with Green Bay gold it would be a good 3rd color! !

Ps. I envy you BIG TIME for working on Skywalker ranch

Thank you, Shadojoker. Ditto, the Bucks may want to give Bango's color a try. I'm sure Larry Sanders would love them too:

GreenYellowRedDeerSkiHat2_zps2ce3aba5.jp

BobMarleyandtheWailersRedGoldandGreen_zp

BobMarleyRastaStripesOfficiallyLicensedT

Not about the Bucks, but Bucky's family tree. This is from Wisconsin Alumni Association's Badger Insider spring '14 issue:

BadgerFamilyBadgerInsiderSpring2014_zpsd

"This realistic-looking badger came from the Wisconsin state seal. You might remember seeing him perched above the shield and beneath a hovering banner that reads “FORWARD.”

WisconsinStateSealBadger_zpsc8101ded.jpg

"In the years after the UW’s standard mascot was first drawn (in 1940, by commercial artist Art Evans), several campus departments adapted the design for their own purposes. One of those was the UW Band. Today’s Band Bucky has dispensed with the shako and turtleneck and dresses in the Marching Band’s uniform."

1940UWBand_zpsc50edd20.jpg

"When Art Evans of the Angleus Pacific Company designed a Badger logo for Brown’s Bookstore, he created two different designs: the turtleneck version that became standard, and this fellow wearing a beanie and carrying a pennant."

Buckybeaniepennantcopy_zpsaa29d0b6.png

"When Brown’s Bookstore commissioned a Badger mascot drawing, its competitors hurried to catch up. The Student Book Exchange commissioned versions of a top-hat-wearing badger from A.W.T. Company in the late 1940s."

Late1940sAWTCompany_zpscda10e99.jpg

"The 1941 Badger yearbook offered its own take on a Badger mascot. It included an illustrated story of students Bennie and Beulah Badger — a romance for the ages."

BennyampBeulah-1941_zps2be101ff.jpg

"The 1948 yearbook offered a friendlier version of a Badger mascot (also seen in the upper right branch of the family tree.) This little fellow wasn’t yet named Bucky — the UW’s mascot name was generated through a student election in 1949."

1948yearbook_zpsfa0be213.jpg1948_zps2650f51d.jpg

"This version of Bucky comes not from an illustration, but from the costume that students wore to appear live at UW events. Early mascots were more pugnacious than today, wearing boxing gloves, as this version did in the 1960s."

1965_zps78be44f7.jpg

"For a brief time in the late 1970s and early 1980s, Bucky had a female counterpart: Becky Badger. She was a creation of Madison’s Park Bank — Becky dolls were given away with certain accounts, and a live Becky appeared in parades and at Badger games."

BeckyBadger_zps1040ba9a.jpg

What an encouraging day it was for the Bucks! A tip of the hat to Senator Herb Kohl for his dedication and loyalty (to a fault) to the Bucks through all these years and for agreeing to sell the team for $550 million dollars, ensuring they stay in Milwaukee:

HerbKohlwiththen-coachDonNelsonin1985cop

The two new owners, New York hedge-fund billionaires, Wesley Edens and Marc Lasry are committed to keeping the team in Milwaukee and are dedicated to bringing back a championship to the city:

WesleyEdensisco-founderofFortressInvestm

MarcLasryisfounderofAvenueCapitalGroupof

The future looks so much brighter for the Bucks (they're a bad team now) with the news of new ownership (subject to league approval in the next two days). Herb and the new owners are pledging ("at least") $100 million dollars each for the new arena ($400-500 million). Hope others like Marquette, Miller Brewing Co., Harley-Davidson, Johnson Controls, Rockwell Automation, etc., step up to the plate for it as well.

A branding overhaul is quite possible now with new owners:

MarcandWesleysDaughterscopy_zpsfb0c2195.

Milwaukee Bucks President and Owner Herb Kohl Introduces New Team Ownership and Announces $100 Million Gift for Arena

"The incoming Milwaukee Bucks owners, Wesley Edens and Marc Lasry, issued the following statement regarding the purchase of the franchise from Senator Kohl:

We would like to thank Senator Kohl and his team for their support and cooperation throughout the purchase process. The Senator has provided the Bucks with nearly 30 years of dedicated stewardship, and we are very excited to join Bucks fans, the city of Milwaukee and the NBA to build the long-term success of this franchise. Having attended various sporting events in Milwaukee and Green Bay over the years, it is easy to see why the greater-Milwaukee area is such a storied sports atmosphere.

We are lifelong basketball fans who are committed to the success of the Bucks and the identity of the team as a part of the city of Milwaukee. It is our vision for this franchise to be admired both locally and nationally for its success on the court, the quality of its organization and the loyalty of its fan base. Having each built competitive teams in the business world, we will apply that same intensity and determination as owners of the Milwaukee Bucks. We are as passionate and energized as Bucks fans are about bringing home an NBA championship to Milwaukee.

In addition, our leadership of the Milwaukee Bucks will not be limited to the basketball court. We are eager to become active contributors to the greater-Milwaukee community, and plan to establish a presence in the city. Furthermore, we are committed to spending a significant amount of personal resources, including a contribution of at least $100 million, to work alongside the community and Senator Kohl to develop a new state-of-the-art sports venue in Milwaukee. We want to provide fans with the best sports experience imaginable, and we believe a new arena and the development of the surrounding downtown area will immensely benefit the game-day atmosphere as well as the city of Milwaukee.

We would like to convey our appreciation to Commissioner Adam Silver and the entire NBA organization. It will be an honor and a privilege to be the new owners of the Milwaukee Bucks and a part of the NBA.

We look forward to playing an integral and active role in the future success of the Bucks on and off the court, with the organization's operations and talent as well as through the development of a new arena in Milwaukee. Fear the Deer!"

Yeah, no. And no.

Uni Watch points out that "new Bucks owner Wesley Edens wore a lapel pin of the old Bucks logo during his introductory press conference yesterday" (like the tie, though):

13907046523_9e3223a459_b.jpg

Not, apparently, at the meet & greet:

The two new owners, New York hedge-fund billionaires, Wesley Edens and Marc Lasry are committed to keeping the team in Milwaukee and are dedicated to bringing back a championship to the city:

WesleyEdensisco-founderofFortressInvestm

Archived