Milwaukee Bucks Originals Update - Bucks Unveil Jersey Changes for 2014-15

Elwood

An interesting quote from Marc Lasry in yesterday's JSOnline article (very bottom):

The new owner said he wanted to change the colors of the Bucks jersey but found out it wasn't that easy.

"There are a lot of things I would like to see," Lasry said. "You would think as the owner you could have some choices.

"It doesn't really work that way. You have to get the NBA's approval to change the colors. You have to get the NBA's approval for anything, which was a bit of a surprise. I thought we could do things.

"It takes about a year, so we're talking to them about different things. We're trying to get a bunch of suggestions from people. I've been told purple is out because that's the dreaded (Minnesota) Vikings.

"But I do think we need to have a little bit different color scheme."

...please be talking about lime green... please be talking about lime green... please be talking about lime green...

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An interesting quote from Marc Lasry in yesterday's JSOnline article (very bottom):

The new owner said he wanted to change the colors of the Bucks jersey but found out it wasn't that easy.

"There are a lot of things I would like to see," Lasry said. "You would think as the owner you could have some choices.

"It doesn't really work that way. You have to get the NBA's approval to change the colors. You have to get the NBA's approval for anything, which was a bit of a surprise. I thought we could do things.

"It takes about a year, so we're talking to them about different things. We're trying to get a bunch of suggestions from people. I've been told purple is out because that's the dreaded (Minnesota) Vikings.

"But I do think we need to have a little bit different color scheme."

...please be talking about lime green... please be talking about lime green... please be talking about lime green...

Lime, hunter, maybe some kelly, and white...nothing else will do at this point. Just a modern interpretation of the Irish rainbows is all that needs to be done. Funny thing is, I don't ever recall the Bucks wearing any of the Irish rainbow renditions for a throwback night

^I never understood that myself, considering how beloved they are locally. But then, Herb Kohl never really did understand his teams' fans, and it showed. Often.

^I never understood that myself, considering how beloved they are locally. But then, Herb Kohl never really did understand his teams' fans, and it showed. Often.

What makes it worse is that they were one of the winningest teams in the NBA during the '80s...why they have never thrown back to that era is beyond me. They can't get rid of the current unis soon enough. With the exception of a couple of low playoff seeds, they have been horrible pretty much the entire time with the current set.

Indeed, but we know they wore red and white in St. Louis, which at least makes it plausible that they could've worn it in Milwaukee before they moved.

He didn't just fail to incorporate those colors and give fans something to be excited about, but he, along with Buck's marketing, actively antagonized the diehard fans who would love to see the Bucks back in those colors with this:

Yeah, that's a great way to sell season tickets. For being such a champion of Wisconsin sports and Wisconsin in general, Herb Kohl was fantastic at alienating a massive amount of fans throughout the state. Unfortunately it would appear as those the new owners will bring a different brand of poor ownership decisions to the Bucks.

wisco_adidas-1.jpggbp-2.jpg

Yeah, do you guys still want the Irish Rainbows back now, knowing that Jason Kidd is here to run the team into the ground? It might not be best for him to spill his figurative drink all over an identity associated with relative success.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm not sure at all that's what'll happen.

But in any case, yes. I still do. Better to have the proper identity back right now and have them play poorly in fantastic uniforms than change it to something else and hope that they change it again when their 5-year waiting period is up.

Switching from the current logos to that will be one of those lopsided changes in the likes of Cleveland switching from one of the best uniform sets in the league in the LeBron-era unis to the current lacklusters.

Archived