Milwaukee Bucks Originals Update - Bucks Unveil Jersey Changes for 2014-15

Elwood

Just make sure you stop payment on Vonnegut's check. ;).

Yeah, this sample size is surprisingly decent but it's still an online poll. Which means it's slightly less scientific, and a great deal less accurate, than me making up random numbers.

It's unfortunate but I'd say Milwaukee's preference for teams are as follows:

1. Packers football
  2. Badgers football
  3. Brewers baseball / Badgers basketball
  4. Badgers hockey
  5. Bucks basketball
  6. UWM basketball / Admirals hockey / Wave soccer

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say it's more like.....

1. Packers

2. Brewers

3. Badgers football

4. Marquette basketball

5. Bucks

6. Badgers basketball/hockey

7. Admirals/Wave/UWM basketball

8. City Conference basketball

Either way, there's a wealth of basketball options in Milwaukee/Southern Wisconsin, which probably adds to so many people saying they won't be too disappointed if the Bucks leave.

I wasn't lying when I said a few pages back that people in the state are just not that interested in the Bucks anymore. Now I know I don't live in Milwaukee (I'm from about an hour north), but my whole mom's side is from down there. Plus I feel that Wisconsin sports isn't city based it's state based, as in The whole state basically roots for everyone in the state. Even Wisconsin-Marquette isn't a rivalry unless their playing each other, otherwise everyone roots for both teams basically. And from everyone I know about 2 people actually care about the Bucks.

I'd say its

1. Packers

2. Wisconsin football/Brewers

3. Wisconsin Basketball

4. Marquette basketball

5. Local high school sports

6. Bucks

and the Admirals and wave don't even make the list.

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel did a poll:

BucksPoll_zps58c09c5a.png

Almost 4,000 responses isn't a perfect sample size, but it's a decent amount. The issue is we don't know if all the votes are from the Milwaukee area or from outside of the area. That 48% could be Bulls fans flooding the poll. That being said, it looks like 71% of people don't care if the team leaves, or would be slightly sad. 29% would legitimately care. So, if this all were from the Milwaukee metro area, less than 1/3 of the city cares if the Bucks stay. Not good!

I doubt it... I live here and that sounds pretty accurate based on my own anecdotal interactions with people. There's a lot more to do in Milwaukee now than just watch sports and root for the home team like it was in the Bucks' heyday, and there's a new generation of Milwaukeeans who don't feel that we need a mediocre NBA franchise just to prove that we're "on the map."

Bottom line is that it's about the team's performance. Take this poll in 2001 and the results would be totally different. Herb Kohl is a terrible owner and has made many horrible decisions along the way leading up to where the franchise is now. Hopefully they can gtet some new investors on board soon.

Get Bridgeman and Abdul-Jabbar on board, even in a minor capacity, and watch the good press flow.

Think you're right about the performance. How many basketball fans in Milwaukee were alive and cognizant when the Bucks were competitive? That World Champions banner is practically a cruel taunt now, the reminder of a team that became an instant champion and then slid down into gradual irrelevance.

Here's the '73-75 uniform with script style lettering. What I find fascinating is the application of stitched on experimental, "cutting-edge technology" 2 color vinyl for the lettering and numbers on Kareem's '73-74 road jersey pictured here (the name on back is stitched twill letters). This "innovation" was used for a short time, probably due to stiffness and cracking.

The home jersey below has the traditional printed lettering and numbers. The script design lasted three years, the second shortest of the Bucks' uniform timeline. Maybe the lettering was too bulky and hot for the players even though the uniforms were mesh. I do like the "Bucks" script:

73-75bucksgreenroadcloseup33_zps014972f1

73-75bucksroadjersey_zps447e674e.jpg

73-75bucksroadjerseyback_zps3c7f707a.jpg

57_6157D_lg.jpeg

71936a_lg.jpeg

71936b_lg.jpeg

6f464e55-6abd-4e92-8ed3-55294054cd9a_zps4cb745f0-396d-406b-aa2d-41a0409c5d7a_zps21dbccf3-aad2-4b7e-8950-645ef30f9d11_zps

Here's the '73-75 uniform with script style lettering. What I find fascinating is the application of stitched on experimental, "cutting-edge technology" 2 color vinyl for the lettering and numbers on Kareem's '73-74 road jersey pictured here (the name on back is stitched twill letters).This "innovation" was used for a short time, probably due to stiffness and cracking.

73-75bucksgreenroadcloseup33_zpsa68e4015

73-75bucksroadjersey_zps808350e9.jpg

73-75bucksroadjerseyback_zpsf6798880.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen vinyl used in the place of twill before. Then again, I'm not shocked that it didn't catch on.

Here's the '73-75 uniform with script style lettering. What I find fascinating is the application of stitched on experimental, "cutting-edge technology" 2 color vinyl for the lettering and numbers on Kareem's '73-74 road jersey pictured here (the name on back is stitched twill letters).This "innovation" was used for a short time, probably due to stiffness and cracking.

73-75bucksgreenroadcloseup33_zps014972f1

73-75bucksroadjersey_zps447e674e.jpg

73-75bucksroadjerseyback_zps3c7f707a.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen vinyl used in the place of twill before. Then again, I'm not shocked that it didn't catch on.

Yes, it's quite interesting how uniform materials and application methods have evolved through years of trial and error.

6f464e55-6abd-4e92-8ed3-55294054cd9a_zps4cb745f0-396d-406b-aa2d-41a0409c5d7a_zps21dbccf3-aad2-4b7e-8950-645ef30f9d11_zps

Just make sure you stop payment on Vonnegut's check. ;).

Yeah, this sample size is surprisingly decent but it's still an online poll. Which means it's slightly less scientific, and a great deal less accurate, than me making up random numbers.

It's unfortunate but I'd say Milwaukee's preference for teams are as follows:

1. Packers football
  2. Badgers football
  3. Brewers baseball / Badgers basketball
  4. Badgers hockey
  5. Bucks basketball
  6. UWM basketball / Admirals hockey / Wave soccer

I don't see Badgers hockey being ahead of the Bucks. Even within the same community, sure, we all have our own pockets of people we know, but I don't know anyone who watches Badgers hockey on a regular basis. Badgers hockey is more of the fun game to go to if you have tickets, but I don't know many people who adamantly support them or even watch them on TV. I know plenty of people who watch the Bucks, although I will say that even there, interest is dwindling.

Here's the '73-75 uniform with script style lettering. What I find fascinating is the application of stitched on experimental, "cutting-edge technology" 2 color vinyl for the lettering and numbers on Kareem's '73-74 road jersey pictured here (the name on back is stitched twill letters). This "innovation" was used for a short time, probably due to stiffness and cracking.

It's rare to see one of those jerseys in good condition these days. The vinyl didn't stand up to repeated use/washing (something you see with any jersey with screened-on elements, although the fact that it wasn't directly applied didn't help matters).

I owned a numberless '74 jersey some years ago, and the lettering was horribly cracked, even though it hadn't been used (I'm guessing it was stored improperly). I'll see if I've still got some pictures lying around.

It's rare to see one of those jerseys in good condition these days. The vinyl didn't stand up to repeated use/washing (something you see with any jersey with screened-on elements, although the fact that it wasn't directly applied didn't help matters).

I owned a numberless '74 jersey some years ago, and the lettering was horribly cracked, even though it hadn't been used (I'm guessing it was stored improperly). I'll see if I've still got some pictures lying around.

Wow! I'd love to see photos of the jersey, hope you find them. That reminds me of my Sterling Sharpe jersey from '94 (really my dad's).

The jersey has tackle twill numbers but "SHARPE" on nameplate is screened-on. I found it unusual so I asked Ripon Athletic to have a look. They told me they made it for the Packers and that the team still used screened-on elements in '94 for their regular jerseys. The throwbacks were ordered for the 75th anniversary with twill numbers and they made both twill and screen print player names on nameplates.

Here's what it looks like, mine is in a box overseas:

source_1285_132313.jpg

source_1285_132314.jpg

The home jersey below has the traditional printed lettering and numbers. The script design lasted three years, the second shortest of the Bucks' uniform timeline. Maybe the lettering was too bulky and hot for the players even though the uniforms were mesh. I do like the "Bucks" script:

73-75bucksgreenroadcloseup33_zpsa68e4015

73-75bucksroadjersey_zps808350e9.jpg

Very cool. Loving all the old school Bucks in this thread.

I actually like this '73-'75 set although for a rebrand, I doubt we'd see any script lettering with todays designs. Take the '73-'75 set, add some irish rainbow to it and I think we'd have a winner.

Archived