The Detroit WHA Announcement

KJTALBOT

That would explain why they registered DetroitGladiators.com at the last minute (last Friday). Eh, it could be worse. Thank Gog that it's not "Demons".

As far as the logo... Eh, they had to get the stupid "It's minor-league hockey, we better put a hockey stick in there just so everyone knows what sport we play" bit in there but it's not as bad as it could be. I like the wordmark. Black, white and grey/silver leave a lot of options for the jerseys if they add another color.

It's not terrible. I think they put the hockey stick in there because they already used a sword in the wordmark.

The only thing that really bugs me is the way the arm looks. The way it was executed, it doesn't look like a natural arm motion or position.

Hey, look, compared to the ABA, that thing looks great. I actually like it, though the shield is a bit awkward. Before I finally figured out what it was, it looked like he was riding in on a football or something at first. Then I thought... okay, a boat? Then I saw that it was a shield... and I felt really dumb.

Well, this turned out FAR better than I thought it would.

First and foremost, they don't go with the Detroit Demons identity. Second, they actually unveiled a solid looking logo. Sure, both the arm and shield could be tweaked, but all in all a pretty impressive looking logo.

Hopefully, the rest of the WHA takes note.

Brian in Boston

Meh. Looks like a detroit Titans hockey logo.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Is it just me or does the shield seem upside down, if it is a European shield? And If it's a Roman gladiator, shouldn't he have a rectangular shield?

Gladiator shields varied greatly from Standard Issue Roman shields, or any other shields for that matter.

That is, if you were the lucky one to get a shield...

I'm a historian of Ancient Rome...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Is it just me or does the shield seem upside down, if it is a European shield?  And If it's a Roman gladiator, shouldn't he have a rectangular shield?

Gladiator shields varied greatly from Standard Issue Roman shields, or any other shields for that matter.

That is, if you were the lucky one to get a shield...

I'm a historian of Ancient Rome...

Ah, OK, thanks man. I think I was confusing it with the normal Army shield.

Its not bad,not nearly as bad as some of there name options they were lookin at....Demons? zeesh so XFL......ooops sorry puckguy :P

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

It's not terrible. I think they put the hockey stick in there because they already used a sword in the wordmark.

Could have been worse--the could have used a hockey stick for the "L"

It's actually not bad, and the best one so far (although that may not be saying a whole lot)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived