Bring Back the Old Brewers Logo Petition

sacker12

How 'bout someone start a petition NOT to bring back that old, dated logo.

I'll sign it.

Exactly, the past is the past and some people just don't understand that...

QPR%20Sig.png

For everyone who's against the ball-in-glove... what would you say about bringing back the traditional block "M" that was worn by the original AA Brewers and adopted by the Braves?

And it looks like someone with my same first name suggested that on the petition... eeriness.

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

IMO, the Brewers have never looked better than they currently do. The only thing I would consider an improvement would be ICS's suggestion to change from gray to a gold color on thier away jerseys.

OK, I'm not in favor of returning to the ball and glove....at least not verbatim. I AM in favor of a redesigned modernization of it and I'll tell you why.

The ball and glove, for all its corny charm, is the definition of a successful identity. It IS the Brewers. Ideally, that's what the entire marketing world wants their logos to be.....instantly and irrevocably associated with their team.

Does the "Crew" look good in what they wear now? Ab-SO-freaking-lutely! Some of the best, most tasteful, well-done unis in sport. Do we care? Ummm, not so much. I generalize of course, but if you've been to a game recently you'd know that pretty much 80% or so of the fans don the ball and glove over the new stuff.

The new stuff is perfect, and its so perfect......that it doesnt fit. We (in general) don't identify with it and it could pretty much be any other teams uniform without much trouble. What is that on the hat? Barley? Fine, change the "M" to a "K" and now I think its some team in Kansas who grows.......I dunno......freakin wheat. It's well done, but well done in the way a 3 piece suit is. Slick, but nondescript.

Is part of this due to memories of times past and positive associations of the great players we had here in the early 80s? Yes. Nostalgia is all over this baby. It's also due to the whole rotten slew of events Milwaukeeans have been subjected to over the last 20 miserable years. The deterioration of the franchise, the stupid decisions, the removal of Bernies Keg, the loss of charm and attempt to be a major metropolitan area (ChicagoNorth) of Miller Park's design, .........AND........the Bud factor. Its natural for us to long for better days.......days of yore....so I can see the average persons disgust with our blind affection for a bygone era. I'll grant you all that point.

But if you lived here you'd know. We love the glove, and if done properly....Nitro-ishously.........I'd love to see it back.

I think this could spawn off into a discussion of its own, but is there an instance, where lack of success over a prolonged period of time can render a BETTER design ineffective? Success matters to a degree....we dont live in a vacuum. What if Tampa Bay had gotten horrible again after the Pewters? Instead of building to a championship? I think thats clearly a different scenario than this, but maybe not. Hmm.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Excellent points Sterling. Unfortunatley, I think you'd have had to live in Milwaukee, or at least Wisconsin, to know just how iconic the ball-in-glove is.

The only reason I'd prefer changing the colors back to blue & yellow or going back to the traditional M over bringing back the glove is because it does look very 80's. Like you said, with some modernization, it can probably be pulled off though.

I think you're really selling your own talents short though. I think you should take a crack at it for the same reason Starbucks only wants local designers to develop their franchises. It just makes the whole package feel more at home. I say go ahead and take a crack at it yourself.

Yea... I like the current unis too, but I doubt most Brewers fans agree with me, and that's what's more important. The biggest complaint I hear about them though is that navy & gold looks drab and too common. I have to agree which is why I think they need to go back to the old colors more than anything (and put "Milwaukee" on the roads while they're at it).

As for what you said about futility beating down a great design... I think you hit the nail on the head. Had the Bengals been to a couple Super Bowls in the past 10 years (hell... maybe if they'd have made the playoffs a couple times) I doubt they'd have changed their look.

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

I wish they had never changed from the great, classy uniforms they had in the mid - to - late 1990s. The "M" hat (after they dumped the "MB") and the classic baseball jersey looked great.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

the ball & glove should saty in the past. not for the reasons Moser316 mentioned, just because what they have now is so much better. im all for bringing the past back if its better then the currents (ex: san diego chargers powder blue)

What if there was a way to modernize the mb-glove logo? Part of the reason it looks so retro is the heaviness of the lettering and the bright colors. I wouldn't mind seeing it again as a patch on the jersey, or as part as some secondary identification. As Sterling said, it is instantly identifiable as Milwaukee. Even if there was nothing about it that said "Brewers"...it could stand for "Montana Bears" or "Michigan BattleCats" just as easy as "Milwaukee Brewers". Maybe the stitches on the ball could be done in a wheat grain pattern. I don't know, it could be too busy in a small size, I'm just throwing out some ideas.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

What I'll say is that the old ball-n-glove logo was certainly clever, and nice for the time period it was designed for...well, that's my point. It screams 1970's. What does an "mb" in the shape of a ball and a glove have anything to do with a team called "Brewers"?

In my opinion, the new look is great. Heck, I liked the old Navy, Gold and Green look better than the "mb".

Archived