Rite of Spring '14: Can you fall asleep with a panic switch?

The_Admiral

If I've learned anything from sports - and it's pretty safe to say I haven't - it's that certain roads to the promised land are definitely easier than others. Los Angeles gets fortunate to have a first round matchup with the team of underachievers, Boston gets a pretty soft match versus Hockeytown and the Hawks avoid the worst case scenario with the Avs, who might have given them some trouble.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just think of the Hawks as having had their first and second rounds transposed. Starting the playoffs on the road against a team that won the season series and had a dominant regular season (until the last two weeks) is hardly a walk down Cupcake Boulevard.

Also, I don't know that there's anything easy about winning four elimination games in a row. That's probably why it hardly ever happens. Even the Sharks hadn't blown that yet (though they came very close in 2011 with the Wings).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That loss is on Bryan Allen, simply put. They had the lead, until he turn the puck over to Richards on an easy clear, and then later on let Gabrorik beat him in front of the net. Ducks played well, but you can't make those defensive mistakes.

Bryan Allen is generally useless, but he was particularly bad last night.

I usually defend Allen, as he hasn't been bad this year (good gap control, few mistakes), but he definitely killed us last night. Didn't clear, didn't remove Gaborik from the crease.

We could be up 1-0 just as easily.

Yeah, to say the 'Hawks had a desirable first round matchup is a bit disingenuous. St. Louis was banged up, alas, but they were still able to go up 2-0 in that series with a stable of players more than capable of winning two games out of the remaining five. I never wavered in my belief Chicago would win that series but it's not as if St. Louis was a paper tiger.

I also tend to think this whole "Avs-Hawks" thing is way overblown. Colorado, admirable overachievers that they were, were never a Cup contender this season and, if in a matchup vs. Chicago, would've been considerable underdogs and not any more likelier to advance than St. Louis was.

spacer.png

Considering they've had the Stadium Series and now a WCSF series, has there been any actual gain in terms of new SoCal fans to the Kings and Ducks? I mean, is it anywhere near what an inner-city rivalry should be? I'm not asking anyone in particular, just assuming the bloc that represents them well in this thread will expand on it.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

The Rangers power play is the most depressing thing in this postseason. 0-33 now going back to Game 2 of their first round series. They scored two PPG's in Game 1, one early in Game 2, and nothing since then.

Even worse, in playoff competition, they are now something like 6-80 on the power play since the beginning of the 2013 playoffs.

spacer.png

There will come a day when Corey Perry finally gets his comeuppance for his thousand tiny acts of douchebaggery.

There will come a day when Corey Perry finally gets his comeuppance for his thousand tiny acts of douchebaggery.

giphy.gif

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Was that tonight? Quick turnaround, if you'll pardon the expression; the karma police must really be out tonight.

Archived