St. Louis Rams Redesign

JPDesign

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may sound crazy but the Rams should look all the way back when they first started and take red and use it as an accent color

There hasn't been much cachet in emulating Fordham since World War Two.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Alright here would be my take on updated Rams uniform.

Athletic gold jersey with royal blue trimmed in ( Thunder light-blue) not a powder blue a bit darker. Jersey with faded Northwestern stripes on front & back with current numbers and sleeve logo. Yellow jersey w/royal numbers & royal pants

White jersey w gold numbers & gold pants, alt Royal jersey, w/ white numbers and white pants.

Take your crazy takes on uniforms back to Jacksonville. Gold/yellow jersey? White jersey with gold/yellow numbers? C'mon...

Is that really what you come up with to bump this thread?

EDIT: Sorry sorry if that sounded mean. Sick, can't sleep, and on prescription medicine. Sounded pretty ridiculous to me.

Understandable on both parts, But the yellow jersey is apart of the Rams history ( not. St. Louis ) but the Rams non the less. It would be unique to the league I honestly believe it would give it a simple and clean flux back look. I will agree yellow trimmed in royal is still probably to bright for numbers on white jersey. So flip those and the 3rd would have modern yet classic with just the royal and white ( just the helmet would stick out because of the new rules.) oh nuke the thunder blue just doesn't work for the rams.

I for one like the idea of pairing the current two dark colors with the previous two lighter colors. Would solve both sides.

Yes. It's generally a horrifically bad idea to "combine eras" in an attempt to please everybody, and it never pleases anybody. See the current awful Chargers and the unspeakably bad current Buccaneers set which counts the shoe-horning of orange among its flaws.

More importantly, navy, royal blue, yellow and gold together could in no way look good. Even if you put that color scheme on the hypothetical best template of all time, it's still a bottom 5 set in the NFL. Woof.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yes. It's generally a horrifically bad idea to "combine eras" in an attempt to please everybody, and it never pleases anybody. See the current awful Chargers and the unspeakably bad current Buccaneers set which counts the shoe-horning of orange among its flaws.

More importantly, navy, royal blue, yellow and gold together could in no way look good. Even if you put that color scheme on the hypothetical best template of all time, it's still a bottom 5 set in the NFL. Woof.

Generally, yes. But I feel like Buffalo and maybe Minnesota are counters to that argument. Obviously no one can please everybody, but I feel like those uniforms have done a good job of pleasing most people.

Generally, yes. But I feel like Buffalo and maybe Minnesota are counters to that argument. Obviously no one can please everybody, but I feel like those uniforms have done a good job of pleasing most people.

Neither of those teams combined eras. Buffalo went to a throwback-inspired look, but kept the navy around as a muddying afterthought just for merchandise sales. But there's really nothing about this set that pays homage to the last one. And Minnesota's set doesn't look anything like what they've previously worn. It's a modern set outside of having pants stripes which span the entire length.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Rams' gold jersey/white pants uniform is one of the greatest looks in football history, any era, any level.

il_570xN.372501095_m3xk.jpg

I'll ask what we're all thinking, who is this handsome man?

Bob Waterfield
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Rams' gold jersey/white pants uniform is one of the greatest looks in football history, any era, any level. il_570xN.372501095_m3xk.jpg

Bob Waterfield

He was married to actress Jane Russell.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

The Rams' gold jersey/white pants uniform is one of the greatest looks in football history, any era, any level. il_570xN.372501095_m3xk.jpg

Bob Waterfield

He was married to actress Jane Russell.

Which doesn't seem like it should've been a bad thing.

6a00d83451586c69e200e54fcf62238834-800wi

a few years ago i came to the conclusion that the Rams should go with a color palette of "new blue; old gold" which would basically be Indiana Pacers colors. i still havent seen/heard a better solution that keeps some important brand familiarity while adding something new and exciting to the identity. most importantly, that color scheme would really liven up the cave-like stadium environment. of course this becomes less of an issue with a move or new stadium but the biggest problem with their identity now is it is so dull and lifeless (especially since they moved away from metallic paint/fabric) and the dome stadium kills it completely. look at the pics

zuM5Djc.jpg

puts me in the mood for a nap. there's no energy or visual excitement there. how are fans supposed to have any brand pride when they're all asleep? imagine not only some yellow in the uniforms, but by replace all the gold in the stands with yellow too. i would be willing to bet what would happen there is what happened in Denver when they adopted orange as their primary jersey color. people threw all their money at orange apparel and it turned to this.

UYfUFjd.jpg

now THAT says "EXPLOSIONS! FOOTBALL!". this is a stadium/game experience that is memorable, "own-able", and fuels the passion and energy of the game. the rams could easily have the same kind of thing with yellow (or athletic gold if you like). and the opportunity is there for them to be the only NFL team with a yellow jersey.

i know Buc has done a very similar design to this, but with the goals above in mind, this is my proposal for the Rams.

bqkXQ9A.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Let's be honest. The colors of the uniforms aren't the problem with the Dome environment. Crappy football. Dim lighting. Believe whichever reason you like, or multiple. Any of them would come before the brand colors.

That doesn't mean your point is invalid, but I just REALLY don't believe the navy and gold is a "dull" of a palette as it's often made out to be. I think that mostly stems from a dim stadium, unexciting football, and a common longing for the past.

Still. I do enjoy the old royal and yellow the most. But I also believe the current design (with potential tweaks to the pants) is their best option IF they remain in St. Louis. (If they move to LA, they can go f—errr.. do whatever they want, probably white and royal or the Northwestern stripe design.)

The one challenge is getting the helmet right. Perhaps the old shade of royal would look fine as the base helmet color, but I'm not sure. If it doesn't, they could either integrate navy into the design, or tweak the shade of blue to find a middle ground. I wouldn't be happy with the old solution of a navy helmet and royal everything else.

I've long wanted them to go back to the original nobby horns, something like Marquette University HS in Milwaukee does:

Ya know, I never realized the NFL Rams ever actually wore a nobby horn. I'm sure I've seen it before, but I don't recall. I'm pretty sure the ORIGINAL design was smooth, but it looks like there was a time in which they went to the more detailed look.

http://www.clanram.com/forums/f11/evolution-rams-helmet-52576/

Let's be honest. The colors of the uniforms aren't the problem with the Dome environment. Crappy football. Dim lighting. Believe whichever reason you like, or multiple. Any of them would come before the brand colors.

That doesn't mean your point is invalid, but I just REALLY don't believe the navy and gold is a "dull" of a palette as it's often made out to be. I think that mostly stems from a dim stadium, unexciting football, and a common longing for the past.

Still. I do enjoy the old royal and yellow the most. But I also believe the current design (with potential tweaks to the pants) is their best option IF they remain in St. Louis. (If they move to LA, they can go f—errr.. do whatever they want, probably white and royal or the Northwestern stripe design.)

The one challenge is getting the helmet right. Perhaps the old shade of royal would look fine as the base helmet color, but I'm not sure. If it doesn't, they could either integrate navy into the design, or tweak the shade of blue to find a middle ground. I wouldn't be happy with the old solution of a navy helmet and royal everything else.

im not saying moving to yellow will win football games, but it will charge some energy into the stadium and brighten the entire environment if adopted like Denver has with orange, or even half of what Denver has done. it would make the stadium feel larger, better lit, and as colors do have an effect on human emotions and mood, put some "life" into the fan base.

i dont see how their current navy and tan (because they aren't using metallics anymore, its not gold) wouldnt be considered dull honestly. but if i'm wrong and the current colors are only considered lifeless and dull because of the dome, then that i believe is good enough reason to move to yellow IF there is no plan on upgrading or moving. (even then, i still recommend yellow). you have to think about how your identity works in it's primary environment (the dome). if it's sparkles and awesomeness in the sunlight, or in the window of Lids, it doesn't matter if it completely dies where it matters most. the identity has failed, and yellow would overcome some of the downsides of playing in a dome. its not really about nostalgia, thats only the icing on the cake. it just works better

GRAPHIC ARTIST

I'd actually agree with you IF there was no plan to move or upgrade the Dome, but there almost certainly is. They're not staying in that dome very long, we just don't know the location of the new stadium at this point.

I also think it used to help when they wore gold pants. I've never understood why the moved away from that.

Also, while you say everything is tan now, I'm not entirely sure that's accurate. The horns appear to still be metallic. And the gold stripe on the white pants appears to have a metallic quality. I can't tell about the numbers. The stripes are flat, though, and I'm sure based on other teams, that gold pants would be flat as well unfortunately.

Anyways, I'm on board with a move to yellow, but I still don't read the current colors as that dull. Or maybe I just don't have a problem with a toned down color scheme? Not sure.

you might be right about the helmet. i thought they changed the paint when they tweaked the horns but i guess not

ST.-LOUIS-RAMS.jpg

from what i've been told about the fabrics, nylon is the material that has traditionally been the "shiny" or metallic look. but the new materials don't have any nylon so it's all flat. how they're doing that pants stripe i dont know and it's hard to tell exactly how it's finished from photos too

GRAPHIC ARTIST

The move away from gold pants is inexplicable and has ruined what was a top-tier NFL uniform.

I don't see any way that white pants look good - especialy with the navy jersey. I kind of get it with the white jersey, but not really.

I do get having navy pants in the rotation, but I don't get the stripe pattern. Wouldn't it make sense to have a thick gold line with either:

a) a single small white stripe (to go with the sleeve stripe),

b ) a white stripe on each side (to go with the numbers), or
c) no stripe at all (to go with the helmet)????

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived