NBA Uniform Redesigns (Spurs updated, Suns added)

CAB

I'm gonna post the Raptors again right now so it doesn't get lost on the 2nd page.

14260060972_574feed72d_b.jpg

Disappointed in myself for missing this thread, but all of these are amazing!

My only gripe is that it seems that the Alternate jerseys HAVE to use the same colours as the Home/Away's do. That said, I'm not a huge fan of the Raptors Alternate. A Purple/Black with Red trim is needed badly - especially with the 20th Anniversary Jerseys n

Yeah, I have used mostly the same colors for the alternates because I'm trying to build consistent uniform identities across the board for each team. When I'm finished with every team I may go back and work on some more alternate/throwboack unis.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toronto looks great. Especially the alternate.

I'll assume you tried out a more jagged line, as if the Raptor claw actually made the marks. I'd be interested to see it, but I can't decide if that would look too hokie or not, though.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Raptors concept is fantastic. I love the side panels on the home and road, love what you did with the outlining on the numbers too. And agreeing with the two previous posters, the alternate is excellent. They need to be wearing these.

I would stick with the Washington Monument striping like on the gold jersey for all of the Wizards jerseys. Looks pretty solid, IMO. For the Jazz I'm feeling the uniforms for the most part except for the purple jersey, I think just the outline of the mountain would work. And also change the back number on the alternate to get rid of the green. Love the Raptors alternate too, and I feel like you were a bit too conservative with the Raptors home and away, because the alternate is so outlandish in comparison.

spacer.png

Thanks for the comments everyone, here's the next three.

SAN ANTONIO SPURS

A lot of people seem to view the Spurs as a "boring" team, and their uniforms aren't doing a whole lot to change that notion. I agree that it's getting a little old seeing them in the Finals, but they're a team that can continue to be successful in the west even with a new core group of players coming up. I think once the Big 3 all retire, the Spurs will be due for some new uniforms. I wanted to give them something that's a little different, but doesn't stray too far from the unis they won all those championships in. I gave them two stripes on the side panels rather than the single large one they have now. To spice up the shorts a bit, I added a spur/star shape and a design meant to reflect the front of the Alamo, a motif you'll also find in the primary logo. Like the Raptors, I basically took wordmark from the primary logo and stuck it on the alternate. Their current "big logo" alternates are a little awkward IMO. I did keep the SA logo on the shorts.

14315155863_05a4a808e3_b.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SACRAMENTO KINGS

I like purple and black for the Kings, but their current uniforms are a mess. I don't know why they switched "Sacramento" to the home uniforms with their latest redesign, but I switched it back. Also, the white on white wordmark on the home jersey just isn't working, and right-aligned numbers rarely looked good with arched lettering. So I centered the numbers and gave everything a clean, silver outline. Similarly on the road uni, I got rid of the black letters/numbers on purple, it just doesn't look good. I did however, keep a design close to what they wear now, with some colors switched here in there. To give them a truly consistent look, I made the pattern the same on both the home and road: black/silver/purple/silver/black. At first I used the 'KINGS' wordmark from the primary logo for the alternate, but then I realized it just simply does not look good and it probably belongs in the 90s. That may be a focus of a rebrand project in the future.

14291627251_076f58e159_b.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS

The Blazers' sash is one of the most iconic looks in the league, so that has to stay. I kept the basic look of the sash, while "modernizing" it and making it taper rather than stay the same width, an idea I took from their red alternates. I also gave them a matching stripe on both sides of the shorts. The alternate is also based off their current Rip City unis, which keep the same angled look of the sash, while confining it in a smaller side panel design.

14293007132_538b45d5fa_b.jpg

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I hardly find the Spurs' uniforms boring. They're the Raiders/White Sox of the NBA in that they're the silver and black team. As for this set, I do like it but for that alternate I'd make the wordmark imagery a bit more subtle/subliminal.

I never was a fan of the Kings trying to jam "Sacramento" onto their uniforms, whether it be home or away. I'd just put "Kings" on both the homes and roads and call it a day. An idea for the alternates: make them silver/gray instead of black, or make a silver one alongside the black. Silver is one of the team's colors but they hardly use it.

As for the Blazers, you said you didn't want to mess with the sash. Unfortunately that's what you did when you changed the direction of it. Simply put, I'd change it back. On another note I must say that red alternate is better than the red/black unis the Bulls, Heat and Raptors currently wear and the Blazers should produce those immediately.

Spurs: Love the home and road, but I feel like the alternate needs to be spiced up a little bit. An alternate uniform shouldn't be less interesting than the primaries, IMO.

Kings: Great job of tweaking what they have now and turning it into a really good look. I especially like how the road turned out.

Blazers: It's hard for me to decide what I think of these without seeing them on a player. I wonder whether the jersey sash would stop above the tuck, and would that look right with the shorts stripes being cut off. I do like the coloring used in the striping, though, as well as the alt.

Upon further inspection, I agree that the Spurs alternate is pretty bland. I thought that the wordmark from the primary logo would be enough to spice things up, but it just seems out of place and awkward. One idea I had earlier was to use the 90s "fiesta" colors, and I think that they work perfectly when used in small doses.

SanAntonio_Spurs_zpsaef0de7d.png

And up next,

PHOENIX SUNS

The Suns new uniforms are kind of hit and miss for me. I like that they got rid of gray in favor for a more black-heavy color scheme. I don't mind that they kept purple, except for the fact that it is nowhere to be found on the home uniform. I also think they botched the slanted sun design on the front. I considered trying for an updated version of that, but ultimately I decided to go in a completely different direction. I got rid of purple entirely, and changed the orange to more of a burnt orange, along with yellow. I like it for a couple reasons: it's a color scheme that is unique to the NBA, and when used on a black background (like the road uni) it gives the illusion of the sun in space. To complement that, it went with a design that doubles as the rays of the sun, as well as a southwestern pattern. The alternate might be a little extreme, but I think because the sun is yellow on orange, it's not as in-your-face as it could be.

Phoenix_Suns_zpsabb9403e.png

San Antonio: I have always loved those 90s colors, that alternate is much improved with just those little additions. Probably my favorite alternate of this series so far.

Phoenix: I've always been a fan of the purple/orange scheme the Suns have had so I can't say I am big fan of phasing out the purple completely in favor of black. I think switch out the black for purple and things would look a lot better. I also prefer the alternate to the primary design as well, the sun on the shorts is a nice way to modernize their retro designs. I have to ask what font did you use for the beveling on the Suns? Is it from Conrad's then just customized it yourself w/beveling? Its killer.

San Antonio fiesta uniform rocks!! Thats what im talking about! And the side panels of the Suns uniforms completes the look! Love em both! Im one of the few fans of Suns going Black and Orange around here. Purple is cool too but overrated.

shado_logo.gif

San Antonio: I have always loved those 90s colors, that alternate is much improved with just those little additions. Probably my favorite alternate of this series so far.

Phoenix: I've always been a fan of the purple/orange scheme the Suns have had so I can't say I am big fan of phasing out the purple completely in favor of black. I think switch out the black for purple and things would look a lot better. I also prefer the alternate to the primary design as well, the sun on the shorts is a nice way to modernize their retro designs. I have to ask what font did you use for the beveling on the Suns? Is it from Conrad's then just customized it yourself w/beveling? Its killer.

Thanks! And yeah, I used Conrad's font, but I just customized it with my own beveling. I really like purple too, but I feel like with the Lakers, Kings, (and now Jazz in my universe,) there's a little too much purple in the West.

I'm glad you guys like the Suns' design, it's probably my personal favorite so far.

Also, now that I'm on the 4th page, I'll post the Suns again so nobody has to go back.

Phoenix_Suns_zpsabb9403e.png

Archived