NBA Uniform Redesigns (Spurs updated, Suns added)

CAB

Alright, after these next three I'm going to start working backwards alphabetically to avoid posting the same teams as SFGiants58 in his thread.

DENVER NUGGETS

The major change here was a switch from athletic gold (I hate that term, it's just yellow) to a more vegas gold. It would make sense for the Nuggets to adopt this color because they're named for gold nuggets after all. Also, it's not a color used primarily by any other team. I think the obvious choice for the uniform design was to have a design similar to their yellow fauxback alternates they've been wearing recently. I moved the wordmark above the mountains and moved the numbers down to be right-aligned because I think that looks more natural on a basketball jersey. The alternate also features a mountain design, this time on the shorts.

14052147989_4185461d5c_b.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DETROIT PISTONS

The Pistons' home uniform is one of my favorites in the NBA, so I kept the same look for the most part. I did add the striping to the shoulders, a la the Oklahoma Sooners. The road uniform is slightly different in that it features two red stripes rather than one red and one white. I changed the 'DETROIT' script to white so it's more legible and the jersey isn't so red-heavy. I kept the Motor City wordmark on the alternate, but I wanted the uniform to at least have one other automotive element, hence the tire track design on the side panels.

14052136947_6d534e7af5_b.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

Again, I kept the same basic elements from their current uniforms, but changed the side panels from yellow to blue, and made the bridge design more prominent on the shorts. I got rid of the sleeved alternate (yikes) with the awful half-pinstripe look. I made a center logo that gives a nod to the 70s/80s unis with a California state outline.

14235419571_612b246251_b.jpg

Next up will be Washington. I won't be posting as many at a time because all my previous concepts were already completed when I started the thread.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent start! Some minor critiques:

- For some reason, the side panels on the Nets' jerseys terminate differently from the ones on the shorts.

- The Bulls' road needs a "Chicago" wordmark.

- I think you could do without the side stripe on the Cavaliers' shorts, just have the trim at the bottom.

- The Mavs' home needs a "Mavericks" wordmark. The shade of green you used should also be darkened a bit.

- The Nuggets' road needs a "Denver" wordmark.

- The shoulder stripes on the Pistons' home and road are a bit too distracting.

Overall, though, this is a great series so far.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Excellent start! Some minor critiques:

- For some reason, the side panels on the Nets' jerseys terminate differently from the ones on the shorts.

- The Bulls' road needs a "Chicago" wordmark.

- I think you could do without the side stripe on the Cavaliers' shorts, just have the trim at the bottom.

- The Mavs' home needs a "Mavericks" wordmark. The shade of green you used should also be darkened a bit.

- The Nuggets' road needs a "Denver" wordmark.

- The shoulder stripes on the Pistons' home and road are a bit too distracting.

Overall, though, this is a great series so far.

The Nets' side panels were something I thought a lot about when making the uniform. I know basketball uniforms traditionally have mirrored designs on shorts and jerseys, but rather than mirroring them, I just used the same identical design which was intended to have the look of a basketball net hanging down (with the exception of the horizontal stripe on the shorts). In hindshight, it would probably look better to close off the design on the jersey to match the shorts.

The Bulls traditionally have 'BULLS' on both jerseys, and that wasn't something I wanted to change, but I will admit that I forgot to change the wordmark on both Dallas and Denver. I will update both of those, along with the Nets.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Here is an updated version of the Nets. I also updated Dallas and Denver in the original post. I will post Washington sometime later today.

14059259327_f9a6d433d3_b.jpg

WASHINGTON WIZARDS

I had a tough time deciding what colors to use for Washington. I think their most recent rebrand was a little lazy and just another part of the retro/fauxback bandwagon in the NBA. The uniforms aren't terrible, but it just feels like a forced mixing of eras. I wanted to get rid of the blue and red, but I wasn't a huge fan of their former color scheme either. I did like their old black and gold alternate, except for the mismatching shorts and jersey. I think gold fits the whole magic/wizardry theme better than blue and red. I also kept the three stars from the gold uniform as a nod to the city's flag. And the alternate is obviously inspired by the Washington Monument.

14252694915_68812ae898_b.jpg

UTAH JAZZ

This is another one where I wasn't sure what colors to use. And their current uniforms are another example of, like the Wizards, a lazy retro rebrand. I think the Stockton-era unis were probably their best look, if not for being a little too 90s. So I wanted to adapt that look onto a modern template, without gradients. I originally tried out a forest green and light blue color scheme, which looks pretty nice, but I think purple is even better. My only concern is a similarity to the Hornets, but I don't think that should be a problem. I know I bashed on the retro look, but I do like the old-school "Jazz" wordmark, so it found it's way onto the alternate uniform.

14249389521_7eba2cb276_b.jpg

I may post the Raptors later today.

TORONTO RAPTORS

Toronto has probably one of my favorite uniforms in the NBA currently, and I think red and black suits them well. Purple would be an interesting addition, but I decided to keep it out of this concept. However, I did add a bronze color as an accent in place of silver. I kept the chevron design on the side panels, but got rid of the butt-stripe. The alternate incorporates the jagged pinstripes from their early uniforms and also includes the wordmark taken from the primary logo.

14260060972_574feed72d_b.jpg

TORONTO RAPTORS

Toronto has probably one of my favorite uniforms in the NBA currently, and I think red and black suits them well. Purple would be an interesting addition, but I decided to keep it out of this concept. However, I did add a bronze color as an accent in place of silver. I kept the chevron design on the side panels, but got rid of the butt-stripe. The alternate incorporates the jagged pinstripes from their early uniforms and also includes the wordmark taken from the primary logo.

14260060972_574feed72d_b.jpg

Love the side designs but I would like to see more bronze.

you should have used a honeycomb thing on the hornets

There is on the alternate uniform.

I love the Jazz one! maybe change the light blue to green and gold as they fit though.

Just my opinion.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea, I may try out a green and gold color scheme.

Disappointed in myself for missing this thread, but all of these are amazing!

My only gripe is that it seems that the Alternate jerseys HAVE to use the same colours as the Home/Away's do. That said, I'm not a huge fan of the Raptors Alternate. A Purple/Black with Red trim is needed badly - especially with the 20th Anniversary Jerseys next year.

Archived