possible theft

flynnagain

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is happening with ever-increasing frequency -- in the past couple of weeks alone, I have been alerted to four such instances of an identities developed by Studio Simon having been "co-opted" in this manner. This is not just about Studio Simon -- this is an industry-wide epidemic, and it has gotten out of control. I have been in contact with an attorney to determine what else can be done in addition to contacting my clients and urging them to pursue the offending parties.

Personally, I think if the logo's not being used and no more merchandise is being made by the original owner using that logo, they should just leave it alone...

Do you get paid to design logos? If you do and still feel this way, I'm surprised. After all, if everyone who was in the market for a designer just went around stealing old designs instead, it would dramatically decrease your opportunities to be hired.

Besides, they're not similar enough where a lawsuit can happen:

Mesa Miners logo: Mesa_Miners_Main_Logo.png

Arkansas Diamonds logo: ArkansasDiamonds.PNG

Maybe the same company made both logos? I have no idea...

You should stop while you're catastrophically behind. The original designer posted in this frickin' thread.

-----------------------------------------

It doesn't surprise me that this organization would opt for logo recycling. They've been known for opting for the "cheap option" in the past. Such as in joining the IFL.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Besides, they're not similar enough where a lawsuit can happen: Maybe the same company made both logos? I have no idea...

*FACEPALM*

That's mine, done for the Golden Baseball League's Mesa Miners. Though the Miners are no longer in the league, the GBL still owns all rights to that artwork. Yet another case of sports branding intellectual property theft.

Yes, they are similar enough where a lawsuit could happen, because THEY STOLE THE ARTWORK, PLOPPED IT INTO a TYPE LOCKUP AND ARE PASSING IT OFF AS THEIR OWN WHILE ATTEMPTING TO TURN A PROFIT FROM IT!

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Stop posting immediately. Forever.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

If I'm not mistaken, they took the head from the Mesa logo and plopped it on UTEP's logo's body.

Stop posting immediately. Forever.

I agree with this statement.

Part of me says, "If he wants the rights to that logo, he should ask the GBL to reactivate the Mesa Miners then!" Another part's saying "Just shut up".

Both have worked out a compromise. Now I say: "They did what they could for this season, but they BETTER get a redesign for next season!"

(then again, I'm frequently surrounded by semi-pro football, so ripoffs occur on a daily basis there)

bYhYmxh.png

Part of me says, "If he wants the rights to that logo, he should ask the GBL to reactivate the Mesa Miners then!" Another part's saying "Just shut up".

Both have worked out a compromise. Now I say: "They did what they could for this season, but they BETTER get a redesign for next season!"

(then again, I'm frequently surrounded by semi-pro football, so ripoffs occur on a daily basis there)

dude stop freaking posting. you bring NOTHING to the table

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

That's the dumbest statement I've heard in a long time. Someone stole his work, and we're talking hours if not weeks or months of work, and you sit there and say, "Just shut up"? *shakes head* Oh and he doesn't have to ask the league to reactivate the logo, it's his unless he sold it to them outright, so unless he sold all artwork to them outright, then he OWNS the logo,

Just because you're a cheapskate fly-by-night bush league organization doesn't mean copyright law doesn't apply to you.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived