possible theft

flynnagain

Here's what can be done about widespread identity theft: nothing.

Fact is, clients (and even some designers) are idiots and have no ethics when it comes to branding or corporate identity. You can try educating them, throwing the lawbook at them, yelling at them till you're blue in the face, and they will still never understand why what they're doing is wrong. They don't see a logo as property, and they certainly don't see the importance or necessity of having a unique and effective identity for their team/business. People honestly believe if it's on the internet, it's fair game and free for anyone to use.

You can only attack this epidemic on a case-by-case basis. How do you suggest anyone police this on a wide scale? You can't. Because tiny little companies in nowhere towns will steal and slip under the radar. Minor league and semi-pro teams will steal because it's a trend. How many hackneyed Falcons or Ravens logos have you seen in semi-pro football? Hundreds. Does anyone do anything to stop them? No.

You can try and set up an idiot-proof system to prevent stuff like this from happening. But, as soon as you try to make it idiot-proof, someone will find a way to be a better idiot.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nitroseed, your points are all spot on.

A fair analogy for logo theft is speeding. Drivers go ahead and speed because they know the police can't be everywhere, and in turn they know that the odds are that they won't get caught. Law enforcement understands that they will never be able to catch everyone, but that fact cannot stop them from going out there and catching who they can, when they can, where they can. Otherwise, things will get completely out of control.

So where do the logo police come from? Well, right here is a great place. You guys don't miss a thing -- in fact, you usually know about unveilings of Studio Simon-developed identities before I do! (That's one of the reasons I am a member of this community.)

I saw Keith Flynn's post about the Arkansas Diamonds' logo, and I immediately contacted my client. Thanks, Keith, and thank all of you, in advance, for any future sightings!

Agreed on the CCSLC being the frontlines for policing identity theft.

I've had several cases of my work being stolen and I was notified by people on this board, even though I hadn't been an active member here in a handful of years. It's nice to have this group watching out for these occurrences.

Regarding johnnygriswold's post, in which he says "I'm curious as to how all this will play out and what you did/do to protect your creations, Studio Simon":

I have notified the Golden Baseball League of the theft of their intellectual property, and they have indicated that they will be (if they have not already been) in contact with the Diamonds' ownership. What happens now remains to be seen.

It should be noted that once a client pays us for our services, the ownership and all rights to all of the artwork that comprises the chosen direction are transferred to the client. So in instances where artwork is stolen in this manner, the creator of the artwork (in this case, Studio Simon) has no legal recourse -- any actions against the offending party have to come from the client (in this case, the Golden Baseball League) who now owns the artwork.

Regarding other recent instances of identities developed by Studio Simon having been "co-opted" in this manner, Brian in Boston asks "Might one of those instances have involved the New England Collegiate Baseball League's Bristol Nine co-opting the Stockton Ports' old Mudville Nine identity?" In a word: Yes.

Good to see you, and others, taking this step! I remember similar discussions in September 2008 http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=61802 where a team in the BCHL ripped off one of Keith Flynn's designs. The "local artist and logo designer" initially claimed it as his own, until Keith and a number of ever-vigilant CCSLC members pointed out a few discrepancies to the team and to the local newspaper.

I can haz sig?

Besides, they're not similar enough where a lawsuit can happen:

6qftki.jpg

That was my reaction to what you wrote, ESPECIALLY after you posted the logos together. I mean, come on.

35mqdfk.png

Seriously?

But yeah, it's good to see that action was taken. I really hate seeing theft like this occur, especially when it comes to members of this esteemed board.

The team released a new revised logo.

ardiamondav2.jpg

Oof. At least they got rid of the stolen logo elements, but look at that guy! The weird arms have already been pointed out, but he's missing a finger on his left hand! AAHH! :o

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

You can only attack this epidemic on a case-by-case basis. How do you suggest anyone police this on a wide scale? You can't. Because tiny little companies in nowhere towns will steal and slip under the radar. Minor league and semi-pro teams will steal because it's a trend. How many hackneyed Falcons or Ravens logos have you seen in semi-pro football? Hundreds. Does anyone do anything to stop them? No.

After reading this, and after seeing that a designer himself has been affected and in this forum, I wanted to post another one I'd found earlier. I'm not sure who is involved or whether it's been posted here before, but here it is.

This is the current logo of the Hull Stingrays, a minor league British hockey team:

hulstingrays.png

And here's the logo of the now defunct Long Beach Stingrays from the also defunct American Basketball League:

lbstingrays.gif

Again, I'm not sure if this one's been pointed out before, but if it hasn't, and if somehow someone here's involved, I was pleased to see how quickly the Miners' situation was resolved, so maybe something like this can be remedied, as well.

I posted an email on the Diamonds' website guestbook and contacted the team's sports hosting site to get an answer about the logo theft. Someone from the team sent back an email response to me with the logo that's already been posted here:

"The logo was done by an employee from art sites and places on the web. We knew nothing about Mesa or anyone else. (he has been fired)However, we?ve done a new logo purchased from clipart and attached."

If they're gonna settle for this new garbage logo, they could have done that from the beginning without ripping off the work of someone else.

arm looks familiar:

2711.gif

logo

It looks similar, but I don't think that's the logo. I know I've seen the arm/chest part of "their" logo somewhere else.

you american are so naif, look at the rest of the world, many soccer team have their logo copied, and they dont have to face any lawsuits, for this i considered your complaints Stupid

Oh the irony of your "sentence". Knock off the non-American elitism too, it's pathetic and overdone.

Anyways, glad they fixed their logo, Studio Simon. Good job. Even more gratifying is that their new logo is horrible compared to yours. :P

87Redskins.png

I posted an email on the Diamonds' website guestbook and contacted the team's sports hosting site to get an answer about the logo theft. Someone from the team sent back an email response to me with the logo that's already been posted here:

"The logo was done by an employee from art sites and places on the web. We knew nothing about Mesa or anyone else. (he has been fired)However, we’ve done a new logo purchased from clipart and attached."

If they're gonna settle for this new garbage logo, they could have done that from the beginning without ripping off the work of someone else.

Is that a direct quote? Wow what a classy organization... words like designed, created, unveiled replaced (twice) with "done"

And now they are looking for free labor... from the press release (another Pulitzer prize winning example of diction and grammar)

http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams/default.asp?u=ARKANSASMINERS&t=c&s=football&p=newsstory&newsID=18268

The Diamonds will be providing a drawing of the new mascot to each of the elementary schools in Central Arkansas and the students will be given the opportunity to color in the mascot and come up with a name. All entries will be collected and the winning student’s suggestion will become the new name of the Diamonds mascot and that student will receive a special prize pack from the Diamonds, including tickets and other great gifts from the Arkansas Diamonds.

I think the kids should vomit on the logo and then send it back in.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Archived