Cavaliers Unveil New Alternate Uniform for 2014-15 Season

PittsburghSucks

Blame Stern - he's the one who mandated that home uniforms be white, although he granted special dispensation to the Lakers (despite the fact that the Warriors started wearing yellow home unis before the Lakers ever did).

I'd love to see a return to the late 70s/early 80s, when more than a quarter of all teams had non-white home unis.

It was bad enough that they started this set off with "Red and yellow are our colors! Not white, but the stupid NBA makes us have a white uniform." From the start, their bland, single-color number road set looked somewhat disjointed from their home set (which also needed an outline). Now, they're red-yellow-white at home, red-yellow on the road, and their new alternate (which will presumably be worn 90% of the time on the road, like the last navy one) is navy-red-yellow. It's disjointed crap before you even get to the awful logos and font. But they will almost certainly have new unis in 2-3 years when they are in the middle of their championship window, and after fans have already bought four new different colored Lebron jerseys.

Also, the NBA needs to stop this "wear whatever you feel like" BS. Teams at home should wear white or light-colored jerseys. Teams on the road should wear road jerseys.

Whats the issue ? The Cavs actually didn't have a white uniform when they first came into the NBA ( 1969 - 1983 ) and never had a "White" jersey with the wine and gold colorway until the 2003 season with the navy/wine/gold redesign. They have tradition of wearing only wine and gold so i dont see the big issue . The fans love it (including me) and that's all that matters to corporate NBA offices.

I think absence of white makes the uniforms look bland. The Cavs' road set would look much better IMO with a white outline around the yellow (and a yellow outline on the home unis would look great). I wouldn't have an issue with the Cavs having a full-time yellow home set if rules permitted, but I'd still think it was missing something. Regardless, they need to realize what the NBA's rules are. If you are required to have a white "home" uniform, which doesn't even really mean anything because they let you wear whatever you want whenever, then white's part of your set and you deal with it. You don't make a road jersey that is different in look from your home and on the home nearly omit the yellow that's featured so prominently on the road look.

Anyway, back to my larger point, the Cavs have three different sets of colors for their jerseys: white and red with a little yellow, red and yellow x2, and navy with red and yellow. Even though they are in the same template and use the same font, that's very disjointed.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It was bad enough that they started this set off with "Red and yellow are our colors! Not white, but the stupid NBA makes us have a white uniform." From the start, their bland, single-color number road set looked somewhat disjointed from their home set (which also needed an outline). Now, they're red-yellow-white at home, red-yellow on the road, and their new alternate (which will presumably be worn 90% of the time on the road, like the last navy one) is navy-red-yellow. It's disjointed crap before you even get to the awful logos and font. But they will almost certainly have new unis in 2-3 years when they are in the middle of their championship window, and after fans have already bought four new different colored Lebron jerseys.

Also, the NBA needs to stop this "wear whatever you feel like" BS. Teams at home should wear white or light-colored jerseys. Teams on the road should wear road jerseys.

Whats the issue ? The Cavs actually didn't have a white uniform when they first came into the NBA ( 1969 - 1983 ) and never had a "White" jersey with the wine and gold colorway until the 2003 season with the navy/wine/gold redesign. They have tradition of wearing only wine and gold so i dont see the big issue . The fans love it (including me) and that's all that matters to corporate NBA offices.

Anyway, back to my larger point, the Cavs have three different sets of colors for their jerseys: white and red with a little yellow, red and yellow x2, and navy with red and yellow. Even though they are in the same template and use the same font, that's very disjointed.

I agree. That's why I think they nailed it last year. I think the white, wine, and gold uniforms, all having the same wine/gold trim on all the same parts (collar, sleeve) looked great. It was consistent. All the colors contrasted well.

I would love to see color at home, color on the road... but I don't think it would work in a 30 team NBA. It worked early on with there were only 12-20 teams because teams could actually have unique primary and secondary colors. Now, look across the NBA, how many teams have purple or navy as one of their primary or secondary colors? It wouldn't work as well as we think.

This was expected. Whatever team LeBron plays for does their best to max out the # of unis they can crank out with his name and number on the back. LeBron jersey variants make that money.

I'm sure Gilbert & co. are working with Adidas to come up an Oregon-esque number of unis to trot out for next season.

Navy, Maroon, Gold, don´t really mix well. . No other pro team uses it ?

Closest I could think of was the original Atlanta Thrashers before the baby blue revolution.

you are right, i remember the colors on the Atlanta Thrashers Blue Crew Ice Girls, a google image search will show they were the best in the whole NHL.

I like them, but one of the three colors needs to be more saturated or something. The wine and gold work, but not with blue being the dominant color. The old navy set worked, but the shade of gold made it much more aesthetically pleasing.

I love the athletic gold and wine but when navy is used, I much prefer the metallic gold of the former set.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

This is the least-surprising news ever.

Though I think you'll see an increase in the number of times the Cavs can wear gold at home.

The mandated "white-at-home" rule is so, so dumb though. The league would be a better place if Golden State, Indiana, and Cleveland were all in gold, Memphis in baby blue, etc.

6fQjS3M.png

The design is uninspired. But I'm surprised at folks who don't like the navy/maroon/gold combo. It's not that different from the Nuggets' old color scheme, is it?

foto_127.jpg

353400_display_image.jpg

72342202_display_image.jpg

Now, the Nuggets used maroon as a trim color, whereas the Cavs are using their wine as a secondary color. Perhaps the Cavs' brighter gold is what's throwing everyone off.

The design is uninspired. But I'm surprised at folks who don't like the navy/maroon/gold combo. It's not that different from the Nuggets' old color scheme, is it?

foto_127.jpg

353400_display_image.jpg

72342202_display_image.jpg

Now, the Nuggets used maroon as a trim color, whereas the Cavs are using their wine as a secondary color. Perhaps the Cavs' brighter gold is what's throwing everyone off.

Agreed...im very surprised at the hate. Navy gold and maroon is an excellent combination. This is the Cavs best jersey of the 4. Now they have 4 unis. White gold wine and navy.
shado_logo.gif

That Nuggets set was some of the dreariest crap that ever besmirched the NBA. Just a hideous color palette when used as they used it. Yuck.

As for the Cavs, it appears their shades of navy and red are both lighter, and they use athletic yellow instead of gold, so that makes a big difference. I'm not a big fan of the new Cavs alts, but they're a work of art compared to the Nuggets' drab mess.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived