infrared41

You've been on a wide receiver kick, so... Hines Ward?

Hines Ward it is. Now that you mention it, I have been a little WR heavy this year. So, with that in mind, here's a clue for the next few rounds: they won't be wide receivers.

I. Ward is an analyst on NBC's Sunday Night Football. I'm guessing that he gets to go to the Super Bowl in the years NBC has the broadcast rights.

II. According to his NBC profile, Ward has "been featured on the cover of numerous publications."

III. Ward is one of three NFL players who is a Dancing with the Stars winner. The other two are Emmitt Smith and Donald Driver. All three also have Super Bowl rings.

IV. Ward and Donald Driver played in Super Bowl XLV.

hinesx-large.jpg

superbowl_xl_ring.jpga864b05c569d35a5dc8a53958474db8a.jpgDWTS2-199x300.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Round IX.

I. I am one of four players from this college who are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

II. A league that no longer exists drafted me first overall. Another league drafted me in a round that no longer exists.

III. My team was the second straight Super Bowl team to do this.

IV. A college football award is named after me.

Who am I?

BB52Big.jpg

Buck Buchanan

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Buck Buchanan

Rams80 with his second win. Buch Buchanan is correct.

I. Buchanan is one of four Grambling Tigers in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The others are Willie Brown, Willie Davis, and Charlie Joiner.

II. In 1963, he was drafted first overall by the Chiefs in the AFL draft. He was drafted by the Packers in the 19th round of the NFL draft.

III. The Chiefs beat the Vikings in Super Bowl IV to make it two straight Super Bowl wins for the AFL over the NFL. (The Jets beat the Colts in SB III)

IV. The Buch Buchanan Award is an award given to the most outstanding defensive player in the FCS division of college football.

db72fcac-4bbf-45f3-a380-a2fe7602b603.jpg414c466e-eee9-4b26-9584-e47e3f18862a.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Round X.

I. I did this long before Marshawn Lynch tried it, and I think I looked cooler doing it.

II. My teammates gave me this nickname because I claimed I was always prepared to travel - just in case I got the call.

III. Like many of my contemporaries, I appeared in this series of lighthearted commercials.

IV. I was there for the first and second time this happened in a Super Bowl.

Who am I?

BB52Big.jpg

You are L.C. "Hollywood Bags" Greenwood.

He is indeed. First I was on a receivers kick and now it seems to be a Steelers kick. Anyway...

I. Greenwood was known for the gold shoes he wore during games. As we all know, Lynch was going to wear gold shoes in the NFC title game before the NFL shut him down. I'm sure if you asked him, Greenwood would have told you his gold shoes Looked Cool.

II. As sc49erfan pointed out, Greenwood was called "Hollywood Bags" by his Steelers teammates because he claimed he always had his bags packed and at the ready for when he got the call from Hollywood to come out and become a star.

III. Like many of his Contemporaries, Greenwood appeared in Lighthearted Commercials for Lite Beer from Miller. The commercials were very popular in the 70's and 80's.

IV. Greenwood's Steelers scored the first (SB IX) and second (SB X) safeties in Super Bowl history.

9bb51836-1bce-42db-81c8-8aabe30bf7de.jpg

5f65aeb2-d2a8-4683-b254-4352cff11dd6.jpg82bdc406-2650-4be0-93cb-22068be41bd3.jpgbb1ddb67-642b-4f7d-9938-0e5f6a451165.jpg1979.jpeg

BB52Big.jpg

I don't remember him wearing gold Nikes. I picture him in Adidas cleats.

viewsi011480.jpeg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Round XI.

I. In college, I was beat out at my original position by this future NFL hall of famer. I switched positions but still managed to make the HOF myself.

II. Speaking of my college teammate from the previous clue, it took a while, but eventually we ended up as teammates in the NFL.

III. While we're on the subject, a different college teammate of mine is also an NFL hall of famer and like me, he is considered one of the best ever at his position.

IV. Speaking of my teammate from the previous clue, we faced off in two Super Bowls. My team won both times - one of them in pretty exciting fashion.

V. I suppose there is a little irony in the fact that, in my NFL postseason career, I ended up with 9 of these.

Who am I?

BB52Big.jpg

Ronnie Lott?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Ronnie Lott?

leopard88 with the win. Ronnie Lott is who we were looking for.

I. Long story short, at USC, Lott was beaten out at RB by future hall of famer Marcus Allen. Lott switched to defense and the rest, as they say, is history.

II. Lott and Allen were teammates with the Raiders.

III. Anthony Munoz.

IV. Lott and Munoz faced off in Super Bowls XVI and XXIII.

V. Lott had part of his left pinky finger amputated after* the 1985 season leaving him with 9 fingers. (9 1/2 if you want to get technical) Lott had 9 INTs in his postseason career.

*The legend has grown to the point where people think Lott had the pinky amputated at halftime of a game.

5a37fa3a-6765-4c71-bb68-c1e5f7c2d657.jpg

8c57d389-d046-4853-b178-9838969d4078.jpgd944e256-e4d5-4137-9b29-0c37f83cead9.jpg352a2a27-94cb-4723-a224-760f80d813ce.jpgee53bdc4-83d7-4ab1-98d8-81d494e85ce6.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Finally! I think this is the first one of these that I got right. I'm either too late or (more likely) miss something in the clues.

The Marcus Allen part is what first clued me in because I remember reading about Ronnie Lott switching positions at USC. As for Part V, I was thinking INTs, not digits.

It's nice to successfully represent those of us old enough to have actually watched Ronnie Lott play (and L.C. Greenwood and Fred Biletnikoff* . . . ) :)

* , , , who was one of my favorite players when I was growing up.

Round XII.

I. Along with being a member of both the College Football and Pro Football Hall of Fame, I am also a member of a bowl game Hall of Fame.

II. My first play in the NFL resulted in a touchdown.

III. My team was one of three in NFL history that can say this.

IV. My team was one of six in NFL history that can say this.

Who am I?

BB52Big.jpg

I believe you are Bob Griese.

Your belief is correct. Bob Griese it is.

I. Griese is a member of what seems like about 22 different halls of fame - including the Rose Bowl Hall of Fame (Seriously, did anyone else know the Rose Bowl even had a HOF?)

II. Griese's first play as an NFL QB was a TD pass to Joe Auer. Ironically, it was a missed block by Auer that led to Dolphins starting QB John Stofa getting injured and Griese coming off the bench into the game.

III. Griese's 1972 Dolphins team is one of just three NFL teams that can say it went undefeated and untied in the regular season. The 1942 Chicago Bears and the 2007 Patriots are the others. (Yes, kids, the NFL really did exist before the Super Bowl. It kept records and everything.)

IV. The Dolphins are one of six...oops...I forgot* one...seven teams to win back-to-back Super Bowls. The Packers, Steelers (twice), 49ers, Cowboys, Broncos, and Patriots are the others.

Another clue I wanted to use but forgot was Griese's Dolphins are one of just two teams that can say they went to three consecutive Super Bowls. (Buffalo is the other one.)

*That'll teach me for doing that one from memory.

c91099d4-37a0-4675-8719-5b85469c316d.jpga2322bd9-e375-4f1c-aa0c-8c1c6fd13f85.jpge1805c88-419b-479b-b73e-c5b9cf1a2d1d.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Archived