"Mr. Cub" Ernie Banks dead at 83

Burmy

I remember at one time WGN was showing a rebroadcast of the famous 1979 Cubs Phillies high scoring game....and there was video archive footage of Ernie Banks inserted to drive home the game winning run!!!!

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

I just finished an Ernie Banks biography a few days ago.

Interesting guy who really came from nothing, giving some credit to cotton picking to contributing to his quick hands.

And, despite coming up following Jackie Robinson, did play in the Negro Leagues early and had to stay in a separate hotel from his teammates early.

And, of course, always positive, always happy to be at the ballpark.

Let's play two.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Name synonymous with the sport that made famous a phrase that further emphasizes the childhood joy of the game he loved. Sad day but he will be remembered well.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Usually when a very accomplished famous person dies at an old age, I feel pretty much at peace with it -- he or she had a remarkable life. But when the biggest Cubs fan who ever lived never gets to see his team win the World Series, you're left with a remarkable life that's missing its capstone, and so I am sad.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived