Favorite/Least Favorite Jersey # changes

Lumbergh

Sometimes our favorite athletes have to change their uniform numbers. This may be because of a trade, because of superstition, or maybe because a new teammate buys their number and forces them to switch...Whatever it may be, it happens. Here are some of my favorite, and least favorite numeral switches in sports:

Favorites:

Fisk goes from 27-72, a classic mirror image switch.

2_zpsmvvillci.jpg

Jason Giambi said his jersey numbers must always either be 7 or add up to 7 (hence 16,25). Going from 16 to 25 was kinda cool how it worked out.

3_zpsicn8x70s.jpg

4_zpsbzljxnkq.jpg

Least favorites:

So Kobe goes through legal trouble and thought changing the digits would make us forget...The 8 looked so much better on him!

5_zpsr4k8lwlg.jpg

6_zpsh2hycenx.jpg

I LOVE Pistol. He's the reason I wear 44 in softball ;) But, when he went from 44 to 7, I don't think it looked great on him.

7_zpsajvsdwqe.jpg

8_zpsxc4jpnzx.jpg

What are some of your favs/least favs

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul George's switch is one of my least favorite. He did solely for self promotion to accommodate a nickname that he didnt even come up with

Because so many people come up with their own nickname...
RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

Paul George's switch is one of my least favorite. He did solely for self promotion to accommodate a nickname that he didnt even come up with

Because so many people come up with their own nickname...

I think you missed what I meant. In Paul George's case, the PG-13 nickname didn't even exist. It only was an idea people wanted to see happen and he decided to appoint that to himself. I guess I just wish nicknames these days were more organic than some marketing ploy. If he entered the league and so happen to wear #13, and that coincidence was there, then it would be something unique. But this isn't what happened -- he changed his number so he can intentionally adopt a nickname.

Go A's!

he changed his number so he can intentionally adopt a nickname.

Here is an example of something like that that sort of happened in reverse, in what I would say is my least favorite jersey number change: Gilbert Arenas trying to "reinvent" himself by switching from #0 to #9, after the gun incident.

He was just never the same player, in any way, and the mood of the entire franchise and fanbase changed accordingly. Gilbert Arenas #0 was known as smiling, fun, quirky, talented, healthy (most of the time), and got-something-to-prove. He was known for scoring 60 points in a game at the Lakers, and reignited excitement in Wizards basketball after a long drought. His most common nickname was "agent zero." The zero also worked so well with his "zero-to-hero" narrative, and one of his coaches telling him he would play 0 minutes.

Gilber Arenas #9 was known as over-the-hill, moody, jaded, sullen, depressed-looking, slow, injured, and a representation of the beginning of an era of some very awful years for the Wizards franchise.

arenas-hands-up1.jpggilbert-arenas-9.jpg

Redskins edition:

Least favorite: Kirk Cousins changing from 12 to 8. I understand it was his college number, but this past year makes me think he absorbed some of his predecessors awful abilities (Rex Grossman wore 8 while in Washington).

Favorite: Desean Jackson switching from 10 to 11 when he came from Philly to Washington. I personally think 10 looks lopsided. He was able to keep consistent this past year as well (even with 3 different QBs)

Favorite:

Willis McGahee going from 21 with buffalo to 23 with the ravens

Chris Tillman going from 24 to 30 with the O's, he has had his best success in number 30.

Least favorite:

Mike Ribeiro going from 63 to 9 with the caps, it never looked right on him.

Jordan going from 23 to 45 for that short period of time.

spacer.png

Favorite- Zach Parise switching from #9 on the Devils to #11 on the Wild to honor his Dad JP Parise

Least Favorite- Marian Gaborik switching to 12. It looks funny on him.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Actually, I thought it was good because I think the Pacers' number font makes 13 look better than 24.

Since this will inevitibly turn in a thread about any player who changed numbers ever...

11349_kruk_jersey.jpg1991+Score+%252394+Kruk.jpg11779b_kruk_jersey.jpgPhiladelphia-Phillies-1993-Road-Jersey--

#28 was traded to Mitch Williams for a case of beer. Williams then changed to #99, rendering the trade moot.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Ray Bourque changing from 7 to 77 was easily the greatest number switch of all time.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Favorite- Zach Parise switching from #9 on the Devils to #11 on the Wild to honor his Dad JP Parise

Least Favorite- Marian Gaborik switching to 12. It looks funny on him.

Praise wore #11 in college at North Dakota too. So it's pretty normal to me anyway.

Jimmy Rollins wears #11 because it makes him look taller. At least that's what I remember him saying

He wanted #6 because that was his "baseball" number, but when they gave him #11, he thought it made him look tall because the "Ls" and "Is" of his name lined up with the 1s of the number. After Doug Glanville left, he switched to #6, but then went back a year later.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived