Favorite/Least Favorite Jersey # changes

Lumbergh

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I'm stupid or something but I don't understand the thinking behind the Giambi numbers mumbojumbo. 16 and 25 don't add up to 7 in anyway.

6+1, 2+5 =7

Got it now. Thanks.

Man, that was an epic fail in my part.

Least favorite: 99% of players that change numbers without changing teams. One exception is Ray Bourque changing from 7 to 77 when 7 was retired for some other player. I am cynical (and Kobe-hating) enough to think that Kobe changed numbers in his prime because he wanted to get two numbers retired.

Favorites:

Kevin Garnett wearing #2 in Brooklyn for Malik Sealy. I am sure there are a few other examples of guys changing teams and picking numbers for reasons I can appreciate.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I am sure there are a few other examples of guys changing teams and picking numbers for reasons I can appreciate.

Although it was never actually official, last year in training camp and practices former Redskins safety Ryan Clark paid tribute to Sean Taylor by wearing his 21

I love the Bourque one, doesn't get much better than that. I also liked Jason Spezza changing to 19 so Hasek could wear 39. I've always considered numbers in the 30s to be "goalie numbers" (although Chara pulls off 33 pretty well), and 19 is a much better fit for a top line centre (Yzerman, Sakic, Thornton, etc.).

Jason-Spezza.jpg?id=7439b48a-3b02-4f77-a

daniel-alfredsson-dany-heatley-and-jason

I agree about Kobe's switch, To me, when an established star player changes numbers after selling millions in merchandise...without changing teams...sounds like a selfish attempt to sell more jerseys to me. Kobe, selfish? Nahhhhhhhh...

Same with Lebron...why not reclaim your familiar #23 when you return to Cleveland? Oh yeah, you want everyone to buy NEW jseseys...plus you want to make them forget about burning your jerseys after you gave them zero respect the first time you left.

I understand if a rookie comes in and can't get his preferred # in his first training camp and it opens up the next year...but after you've sold your fans jerseys already and change on a whim...sort of a dirty move.

Along those lines, All-Star Amar'e Stoudemire changed his from #32 to #1 because, according to him, there was only "one" person believed he would make it back from injury—himself. Yeah, OK. Sounds like everyone else was right.

amare_stoudemire2.jpgsuns-amare-stoudemire-cropped-file-66f9c

87Redskins.png

Maybe I'm stupid or something but I don't understand the thinking behind the Giambi numbers mumbojumbo. 16 and 25 don't add up to 7 in anyway.

I also doubt Giambi's math skills....although he was proficient at figuring out dosing for his syringes.

87Redskins.png

I agree about Kobe's switch, To me, when an established star player changes numbers after selling millions in merchandise...without changing teams...sounds like a selfish attempt to sell more jerseys to me. Kobe, selfish? Nahhhhhhhh...

Same with Lebron...why not reclaim your familiar #23 when you return to Cleveland? Oh yeah, you want everyone to buy NEW jseseys...plus you want to make them forget about burning your jerseys after you gave them zero respect the first time you left.

I understand if a rookie comes in and can't get his preferred # in his first training camp and it opens up the next year...but after you've sold your fans jerseys already and change on a whim...sort of a dirty move.

Along those lines, All-Star Amar'e Stoudemire changed his from #32 to #1 because, according to him, there was only "one" person believed he would make it back from injury—himself. Yeah, OK. Sounds like everyone else was right.

amare_stoudemire2.jpgsuns-amare-stoudemire-cropped-file-66f9c

only little problem, lebron james DOES wear 23 with cleveland

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

lol, you're lost

Right. So he never really messed with jersey sales by switching numbers...I have no problem with it. But part of the reason I generally don't like number changes is because of the sales of jerseys. I am surprised this is not a worse PR move when players do this. Some people may literally have to save money to get a replica Kobe #8 for their kid and then he changes to 24? If a player feels he needs to change teams, that's a far different thing, but changing #s is kinda a jerk move to fans who bought your jersey. Is it "greed" though? I don't know how much a player gets from jersey sales of his own jersey. Plus, using Kobe again, I am sure there are a few, but my guess is not too many fans who owned an "8" went right out and bought a "24".

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Right. So he never really messed with jersey sales by switching numbers...I have no problem with it. But part of the reason I generally don't like number changes is because of the sales of jerseys. I am surprised this is not a worse PR move when players do this. Some people may literally have to save money to get a replica Kobe #8 for their kid and then he changes to 24? If a player feels he needs to change teams, that's a far different thing, but changing #s is kinda a jerk move to fans who bought your jersey. Is it "greed" though? I don't know how much a player gets from jersey sales of his own jersey. Plus, using Kobe again, I am sure there are a few, but my guess is not too many fans who owned an "8" went right out and bought a "24".

I don't see the big deal, in actuality it makes the jersey you had before more rare. I think its a bigger issue that everyone has to have an up to date jersey... A Kobe Bryant jersey is a Kobe Bryant jersey regardless of the number it represents a player who won multiple championships for his franchise in both numbers... who cares what the number is?

Archived