Teams In The Wrong Stadium

kw11333

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Let me just say as a fan of NYCFC that it pisses me off that the Yankees allow the removal of the Yankee Stadium pitcher's mound for stupid college football, but not for the matches of the soccer team of which they are part owners. This intransigence forces the soccer pitch to be laid out at an awkward angle rather than in a more natural configuration, and accounts for the pitch's extreme lack of width.

The college football games tend to be played after baseball season is over between November and December.  nYCFC play she in the heart of baseball season and removing and reading a mound on a weekly basis is tedious.

22 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Lehigh and Lafayette celebrated their 150th meeting by holding the second ever neutral site game in Yankee Stadium. (Lafayette was the technical "home" team)

field.jpg

lafayettelehigh14bl-1.jpg

10564815.jpeg

Lehigh's uniforms also had a pinstripe "homage" to the Yankees.

Ahh, yes!  I wasn't there in person, but I remember it well.  The Ross Scheuerman Show!

21 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Let me just say as a fan of NYCFC that it pisses me off that the Yankees allow the removal of the Yankee Stadium pitcher's mound for stupid college football, but not for the matches of the soccer team of which they are part owners. This intransigence forces the soccer pitch to be laid out at an awkward angle rather than in a more natural configuration, and accounts for the pitch's extreme lack of width.

This has already been addressed at length.  I understand your frustration.  I'm sure the distinction in the minds of the Yankees is that this game took place in November, not the middle of the baseball season.

14 hours ago, cmm said:

The Jets were secondary tenants at Shea and for most of their time in Flushing they couldn't even host a home game until the Mets season was done. That meant no home games until week 6 in 1969 and week 7 in 1973. And that was before baseball became a billion dollar industry and field conditions weren't up to the standards they are today.

I never knew this before.  It looks like they also played 6 home games and 8 road games in 1973.  Was one of their games switched as the Mets advanced in the postseason?

http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/new-york-jets/results/1973

The 1969 schedule is almost equally weird.  Five consecutive road games, seven consecutive home games, two consecutive road games.  I wonder if any games were also switched that year.

http://www.footballdb.com/teams/afl/new-york-jets/results/1969

You would think they would have had another option lined up.  The Giants played in the Yale Bowl during the Yankee Stadium renovations.  Presumably the Jets could have put a contingency plan in place.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

The college football games tend to be played after baseball season is over between November and December.  nYCFC play [t]he in the heart of baseball season and removing and [redoing] a mound on a weekly basis is tedious.

Is it, though?  This precise point is the one that I am very skeptical of.  

It's not like the mound would have to be rebuilt each time; it could be removed and replaced as a unit.

One could almost understand the Yankees not doing this for a team that is just renting the ballpark.  But NYCFC play at Yankee Stadium solely because the Yankees are part owners.  This is what makes the unnecessarily narrow pitch so frustrating.

All we'd need is the configuration that was in place for the Manchester City - Chelsea match in May of 2013 (note: during the baseball season), which would give a few extra metres of width:

Image result for cheslea manchester city yankee stadium

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

48 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Is it, though?  This precise point is the one that I am very skeptical of.  

It's not like the mound would have to be rebuilt each time; it could be removed and replaced as a unit.

One could almost understand the Yankees not doing this for a team that is just renting the ballpark.  But NYCFC play at Yankee Stadium solely because the Yankees are part owners.  This is what makes the unnecessarily narrow pitch so frustrating.

All we'd need is the configuration that was in place for the Manchester City - Chelsea match in May of 2013 (note: during the baseball season), which would give a few extra metres of width:

Image result for cheslea manchester city yankee stadium

I don't think it is truly legitimate rationalization, but it's the one we're stuck with.

I'm sure the entire mound is/could be built on a removable tray/platform, then removed and reinstalled as needed.  If so, the integrity of the mound wouldn't be affected.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Here is a time lapse of them converting the field from baseball to soccer for that exhibition game where they took out the mound. It's hard to tell because of the speed of the video, but it doesn't look like such a simple process that they'd want to do 20 times a season, even if they could guarantee consistency for the pitchers (which given that it looks like they're just shoveling, I don't think they could).

And the fact that the baseball team owns the soccer team makes it less likely to me that they would take out the mound to enlarge the soccer field since there's no chance of them leaving. The Jets were unhappy with their lease at Shea and eventually got some concessions before finally bolting for New Jersey. That's not going to happen here. The New York Alpha Bites (Sweet Jeebus, I hate European style names for American teams...) will play on whatever field the Steinbrenners tell them to since they own them.

3 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Ahh, yes!  I wasn't there in person, but I remember it well.  The Ross Scheuerman Show!

This has already been addressed at length.  I understand your frustration.  I'm sure the distinction in the minds of the Yankees is that this game took place in November, not the middle of the baseball season.

I never knew this before.  It looks like they also played 6 home games and 8 road games in 1973.  Was one of their games switched as the Mets advanced in the postseason?

http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/new-york-jets/results/1973

The 1969 schedule is almost equally weird.  Five consecutive road games, seven consecutive home games, two consecutive road games.  I wonder if any games were also switched that year.

http://www.footballdb.com/teams/afl/new-york-jets/results/1969

You would think they would have had another option lined up.  The Giants played in the Yale Bowl during the Yankee Stadium renovations.  Presumably the Jets could have put a contingency plan in place.

Yes, in 1973 they were supposed to host the Steelers but it was moved to Pittsburgh because of the World Series. I couldn't find anything in a quick google search for 1969.

1 hour ago, cmm said:

Here is a time lapse of them converting the field from baseball to soccer for that exhibition game where they took out the mound. It's hard to tell because of the speed of the video, but it doesn't look like such a simple process that they'd want to do 20 times a season, even if they could guarantee consistency for the pitchers (which given that it looks like they're just shoveling, I don't think they could).

And the fact that the baseball team owns the soccer team makes it less likely to me that they would take out the mound to enlarge the soccer field since there's no chance of them leaving. The Jets were unhappy with their lease at Shea and eventually got some concessions before finally bolting for New Jersey. That's not going to happen here. The New York Alpha Bites (Sweet Jeebus, I hate European style names for American teams...) will play on whatever field the Steinbrenners tell them to since they own them.

Thanks for providing that film.

The crew does seem to just taking the mound away by the shovelful.  But, after having done that once, wouldn't it make sense to have the mound as a unit that can be hauled into place and removed at will?  

I don't buy the reasoning that the Yankees would be less likely to accommodate NYCFC (side point: there is nothing wrong with using international football naming traditions on this or any other continent) than they would a team that is renting the stadium.  When the Cosmos wanted Hofstra to make their field look a little nicer by covering up the lacrosse lines, the team was told essentially "you're just a tenant; we aren't doing squat for you".  The fact that NYCFC have the Yankees as part of their ownership incentivises the Yankees to do what it takes to make NYCFC successful.  So, whatever they do for NYCFC, they'd do much less for a team that was just renting.  I suppose it just comes down to the Yankees not thinking that the narrow pitch is a big enough problem for NYCFC.

(Unusual field dimensions can be an advantage.  And City had a good home record last year.  So maybe it's not such a big deal.)

On February 26, 2017 at 10:50 AM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Lehigh and Lafayette celebrated their 150th meeting by holding the second ever neutral site game in Yankee Stadium. (Lafayette was the technical "home" team)

field.jpg

lafayettelehigh14bl-1.jpg

10564815.jpeg

Lehigh's uniforms also had a pinstripe "homage" to the Yankees.

I think preseason games should be moved every once in a while to an odd location to get more fans. Who wouldn't want to see Jets vs Giants at yankee stadium? Raiders vs 49ers at ATT? Texans vs Cowboys at the Cotton Bowl? 

7 minutes ago, ltjets21 said:

I think preseason games should be moved every once in a while to an odd location to get more fans. Who wouldn't want to see Jets vs Giants at yankee stadium? Raiders vs 49ers at ATT? Texans vs Cowboys at the Cotton Bowl? 

I bet that that would cause a revolt amongst season-ticket holders, who are already forced to pay for pre-season games that most of them don't want.

But, if that hurdle could be solved, then I am sure that the game would be a draw at a novel location.

15 minutes ago, ltjets21 said:

That would be awesome! Just imagine the Eagles hosting a game in Franklin Field or Eagles-Steelers at Penn State.

5 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

That would be awesome! Just imagine the Eagles hosting a game in Franklin Field or Eagles-Steelers at Penn State.

Games like that are more likely.  I would be very surprised if any MLB team allowed a football team to play a preseason (or, as we called them back in my day, "exhibition") game on their field in the middle of the season.

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

Games like that are more likely.  I would be very surprised if any MLB team allowed a football team to play a preseason (or, as we called them back in my day, "exhibition") game on their field in the middle of the season.

A lot of teams have concerts at their ballparks during the season, which damage the field. The Cubs have a ton this year.

Speaking of which, a Bears preseason game at Wrigley would be amazing. It'll be possible because the renovations will allow for more room and a legit field, unlike the Northwestern-Illinois fiasco.

On 1/12/2017 at 5:55 AM, Old School Fool said:

As of right now, the Raiders are playing in Oakland until 2019. They're locked into the Oakland Coliseum lease.

Nope.  The Raiders have one-year options for 2017 & 2018 at the Oakland Coliseum.  It's part of the extension they signed prior to the 2016 season.  They could conceivably leave at any time.  (And I hope they don't ever use 'em.  Stay in Oakland!)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/14762511/oakland-raiders-sign-new-lease-oco-coliseum-2016-season

Now on Facebook. And Twitter.

5 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

A lot of teams have concerts at their ballparks during the season, which damage the field. The Cubs have a ton this year.

Speaking of which, a Bears preseason game at Wrigley would be amazing. It'll be possible because the renovations will allow for more room and a legit field, unlike the Northwestern-Illinois fiasco.

Good point about concerts.  That said, don't most teams put down tarps on the field to provide some protection (asking because I haven't been to a stadium concert on a grass field)?

1 minute ago, leopard88 said:

Good point about concerts.  That said, don't most teams put down tarps on the field to provide some protection (asking because I haven't been to a stadium concert on a grass field)?

I don't know for sure, but the Wrigley outfield is always chewed up after concerts. I wonder if football is worse for a baseball field than a concert.

Just now, BJ Sands said:

I don't know for sure, but the Wrigley outfield is always chewed up after concerts. I wonder if football is worse for a baseball field than a concert.

I would think football would be worse because you have players wearing cleats while pushing off, cutting hard on the turf, etc.  However, that is purely a guess on my part.

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I bet that that would cause a revolt amongst season-ticket holders, who are already forced to pay for pre-season games that most of them don't want.

But, if that hurdle could be solved, then I am sure that the game would be a draw at a novel location.

As a season ticket holder I would much rather be spared one pre season game and not have to pay to see Jets vs Lions.

I found this odd game photo of a Nets Hawks game that appears to have been played at the Cap Center and has Dominique in the pre Pacman Hawks uniform when they debuted his rookie year, what was the deal with this, some kind or preseason mini tournament like the Forum had back in the mid 90s or something 

images.jpeg

Archived