Teams In The Wrong Stadium

kw11333

On 4/20/2016 at 1:08 PM, The Thrill said:

Packers vs. Redskins preseason action...from Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, WI.

Back in the day, the Badgers' home would host 1 Packer preseason game per year...a practice long since discontinued.

1105000040-l.jpg

HA!  I just sifted through all the pages to make sure there wasn't already a picture of the Packers at Camp Randall.  Not only is it the exact photo I was about to post, but it was posted by a guy I know and have worked with in real life.

Notice those goofy goalposts.  Wisconsin kept the H-style posts well into the 80s and long after most other schools had replaced them with the slingshot style.  Apparently this was how they compensated for the different widths of the NFL and NCAA posts.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the H goalposts a lot better. They seem more sensible.

Did the Packers play any games in Madison after the Lambeau renovations or was it all Green Bay from that point on? I swear I remember my friends seeing the Packers at Camp Randall in like 1998. Maybe they went to a Badgers game and I'm an idiot.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Astros played the Rangers in Tampa in 2018 after Hurricane Harvey. ‘Stros were on the road, so they had to wear grey pants as the “home” team, and Texas wore home whites. Hard to tell, but it’s the Trop with the crappy turf.spacer.png

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

I like the H goalposts a lot better. They seem more sensible.

Did the Packers play any games in Madison after the Lambeau renovations or was it all Green Bay from that point on? I swear I remember my friends seeing the Packers at Camp Randall in like 1998. Maybe they went to a Badgers game and I'm an idiot.

IIRC, they played at Camp Randall every odd numbered year until 1999. But I think that's when the series ended.

I wish they would start playing at Camp Randall again. Or better yet, switch between there and Miller Park for a "downstate" preseason game. It's not like fans in Green Bay would complain about missing a preseason game.

8 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Because people look how little attention the team has gotten from the owner. Even good runs will be affected by horrible ownership. Look at Columbus. 

By signing international team talent and firing coaches when they don’t succeed, and hiring coaches with good resumes. Sure they have 0 care. You can’t blame the krafts for stars not wanting to play in New England. Sure the pats get the most of the attention because it has made them billions of dollars, but they haven’t shown complete disinterest for the mls team. They just got a bad rap because of an article almost a decade ago that was completely inaccurate especially since it came within 3 years of making an mls final, and a year before making another.

• 4 weeks later...

If Levis Stadium has so many problems, was there anywhere in San Francisco proper or at least closer to SF than Santa Clara that the 49ers could have built their replacement for Candlestick.

Speaking of the Stick, were there other sites the baseball Giants looked at before settling on the coldest part of town?

I don't think so. There's not much room left in San Francisco. I guess they could have torn Candlestick down and played in PacBell/Berkeley/Stanford in the meantime while building a new stadium on the old site. Not ideal but better than Lego Stadium.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 8/24/2019 at 3:05 PM, NicDB said:

Notice those goofy goalposts.  Wisconsin kept the H-style posts well into the 80s and long after most other schools had replaced them with the slingshot style.  Apparently this was how they compensated for the different widths of the NFL and NCAA posts.

1105000040-l.jpg

How would that have even worked? If an NCAA field goal hits the inner poles but doesn't go through, it's good? What about the horizontal ones where they connect to the outer poles - a judgment call on the officials as to whether it would've gone through cleanly?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

57 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

1105000040-l.jpg

How would that have even worked? If an NCAA field goal hits the inner poles but doesn't go through, it's good? What about the horizontal ones where they connect to the outer poles - a judgment call on the officials as to whether it would've gone through cleanly?

I think the inner posts were temporary, and only installed for NFL games.

College goalposts should be the NFL goal posts, and the NFL ones should be narrower.  Goalposts weren't designed with the thought of soccer-style kickers being able to kick the ball 60+ yards with relative ease.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

38 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

College goalposts should be the NFL goal posts, and the NFL ones should be narrower.  Goalposts weren't designed with the thought of soccer-style kickers being able to kick the ball 60+ yards with relative ease.

College goalposts are the same size as their NFL counterparts these days. At one point the height of the side posts wasn't as standard. A lot of college teams had shorter ones. I remember in the mid-2000s or so that Arkansas State replaced their old goalposts with NFL-height posts on the side. I do wish we had more H-style goalposts. Assuming they still have them, the only ones I remember are Florida State, Washington State, and LSU.

wouldn't h-style goalposts be less safe?  Two poles to run into vs 1?  And the 1 is at least behind the end line, not on it.

I don't know how the hell anyone ever thought putting a goal post - let alone h-style - on the goal line was a smart idea.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just now, BringBackTheVet said:

wouldn't h-style goalposts be less safe?  Two poles to run into vs 1?  And the 1 is at least behind the end line, not on it.

I don't know how the hell anyone ever thought putting a goal post - let alone h-style - on the goal line was a smart idea.  

We also thought it was fine to lock all the exits shut in a factory until a bunch of people died via fire. I suspect the h-style posts are about as safe as the standard t-style post these days since they're out of play. It's not like it's the CFL where the goalposts are still in the playing field. And it's not like people get knocked unconscious by the padded bottoms like what happened to R-Truth to give Knox County mayor Glen Jacobs a 24/7 Championship reign.

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't sure where to put this, but I came across this photo of Kingdome today and thought this group would find it interesting. (Do we have a pix of old stadiums thread?)

M0AdO9Q.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived