The Sports Media Thread

James Andrew Miller is back on with Simmons to talk about his book on CAA (need to order it). Podcast was good inbetween the moments when Simmons talked about his time at ESPN...again.

But I didn't know that PTI was set to move to L.A. in 2010, but Tony's wife didn't want to move.

I listened to the first 10 minutes, but got tired of Bill Simmons talking like a MOVER AND A SHAKER. It comes off so phoney, especially when his frame of reference is like 1986 to 1997. Good for him for branching out, but he almost comes across like the Chris Farley "Remember when...." character.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Talking to Miller is Simmons' psychiatrist sessions. I didn't listen for Bill, I listen for Miller. Miller talks a lot more as it goes on and ask Bill questions. Sadly, Bill talks about Bill.

You missed Bill:

*apologizing to Mike Tirico for his book comments.

*rip FOX for going after ESPN in terms of ratings and not espn2.

*still harp on his firing (Miller will update the ESPN book soon too due to turnover over the last year).

*got mad that a release over ESPN 35th anniversary programming was too similar to the "30 for 30" series initial memo.

Oooh...Peter King made some new enemies today. I already hated him.

You don't need to tweet everything. He shouldn't have tweeted that...what a dick.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

30 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Oooh...Peter King made some new enemies today. I already hated him.

You don't need to tweet everything. He shouldn't have tweeted that...what a dick.

I haven't read much of Peter King after he got his daughter an internship with the Seahawks.

Beernerdness/Coffeenerdness took a big toll on me, as well as his Marrriott Rewards bitching.  He made me so glad that I never chose Marriott or Statwood ( now bought by Marriott) as my hotel rewards program. The Enjoyable/Aggravating Travel Note of the Week is a beating.

• 2 weeks later...

TrueHoop did a great podcast this week about Colin Kaepernick and race in general. They did a deep dive on white privilege, liberalism, support for the troops and more. It was a really good listen. Amin Elhassan, Ethan Sherwood Straus, Pablo and Big Woz were the hosts. Worth looking into.

Speaking of Amin, he got into it with pro wrestling today:

Kind of lame burns, but also weird in the context of the WWE/ESPN relationship. No one would know who Amin was if he showed on WWE (yet, at least), but maybe that's where this is headed?

EDIT: I lifted those from 411mania, but his feed is all wrestling burns. IWC can take a joke never; pretty easy marks for a guy like Amin.

9 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

TrueHoop did a great podcast this week about Colin Kaepernick and race in general. They did a deep dive on white privilege, liberalism, support for the troops and more. It was a really good listen. Amin Elhassan, Ethan Sherwood Straus, Pablo and Big Woz were the hosts. Worth looking into.

Speaking of Amin, he got into it with pro wrestling today:

Kind of lame burns, but also weird in the context of the WWE/ESPN relationship. No one would know who Amin was if he showed on WWE (yet, at least), but maybe that's where this is headed?

EDIT: I lifted those from 411mania, but his feed is all wrestling burns. IWC can take a joke never; pretty easy marks for a guy like Amin.

Thats why he is the Hate Hard CEO.

Talkin sh!t to a young kid with autism who is happy for his dad.....what a guy! His logic of "it's scripted" is pretty insane too. So I guess I should never be surprised by a TV show or a movie because it too, is scripted. And why do we have the Oscars? It's just people following a script, afterall. no need to hand out trophies for it!

I'm sure his audience of 400 people who watch SportsNation think he's super cool though. Go read your teleprompter, tough guy. 

• Like 2

People who hate on wrestling like that, much less a kid for enjoying it, are morons.  Pro wrestling isn't shrouding itself in secrecy of what it is anymore.  It's not the 80s where guys were protecting the business.

This simply telegraphs Amin's ignorance regarding the wrestling industry, and tells me a lot about how much anyone should count on valuable insight from him regarding any other "real" sport. Guy sucks.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

"Wrestling is fake!" crowd is pretty stupid. No effing s###, nitwit. Nobody is pretending it's real anymore. Mad Men is fake too. But winning a championship belt is not unlike winning an award for acting. It's an achievement the company gives out to guys they think have earned it and it takes actual work to get to that stage so the kid's reaction isn't that out of line, even if he understands it's scripted. 

I don't watch Wrestling because I can't get past the acting or the idea that if guys really had beef with each other they probably wouldn't discuss it in the ring on microphones. I won't begrudge anyone who likes it though. I can understand the appeal on an intellectual level, but I don't seek it out, which is why you don't see me in the Wrestling threads. 

I like the behind the scenes shows that show the actual human side of these people (except for the Divas show because that's some reality tv fake stuff. They're hot, but that novelty wears off pretty fast). Tough Enough was great when that was on MTV back in the day, and just some of the docs and other specials about life on the road as a pro wrestler have been really compelling. the DDP/Jake the Snake/Razor Ramon documentary was truly inspiring. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Ooooooh....I didn't know this happened.

How sad. How embarrassing. Bill Simmons needs to put on 30 pounds before I can take him seriously.

I listened to The Ringer's NCAA football podcast and it was awful.

While it had Mallory Rubin, who was on SI's NCAA podcast when Stewart Mandel was there, she and her co-host agreed on 95% of their topics.

The result was Mallory saying, "I know!", or, "I agree". She is better than that.

It was lite-Solid Verbal without all of Dan/Ty's constant, "That is true."

• 2 weeks later...

Striking the latest blow for pregnant and “chestfeeding” men, the NCAA has mounted its righteous high horse and is pulling seven championship events from North Carolina venues. The Tar Heel State, you see, has the hateful audacity to mandate that its citizens use the public bathrooms that correspond to their biological sex. The NCAA’s decision comes on the heels of the NBA pulling its all-star game from Charlotte, and in the midst of a rolling series of small-scale (though much-hyped) national-anthem protests at NFL football games.

Before I turn to the larger issues, can we just take a moment to ponder the pathetic absurdity that is the NCAA? This is an organization, mind you, that reaps billions of dollars of rewards off the labor of disproportionately poor and minority students while imposing on them — as a condition for even participating in college sports — economic restrictions not imposed on any other college student. So-called student-athletes don’t own their time, or even the rights to their own names. The vast majority of them don’t go on to play pro sports, so they’re effectively prevented from making money during the time when their earning potential is at its highest. But the NCAA is now suddenly discovering social justice? Please.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/440002/ncaa-north-carolina-boycott-progressives-weaponizing-sports

This is so good. In order to condemn the NCAA for sanctioning North Carolina over the discrimination bill, David "Stop Emailing My Wife" French checkmated himself into arguing that the NCAA does profit from the unpaid labor of poor and/or minority students whose academic careers and standard of living are compromised in the name of sports. These people are so obsessed with public pooping that they're willing to be right in order to be wrong. It's magical!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 9/5/2016 at 2:29 AM, dfwabel said:

I listened to The Ringer's NCAA football podcast and it was awful.

While it had Mallory Rubin, who was on SI's NCAA podcast when Stewart Mandel was there, she and her co-host agreed on 95% of their topics.

The result was Mallory saying, "I know!", or, "I agree". She is better than that.

It was lite-Solid Verbal without all of Dan/Ty's constant, "That is true."

Simmons' podcast is the only one worth listening to, but it's getting old for me. Every time he mentions something from the tv show he insists on saying "on my eitch bee oh show". We get it, you have a TV show and it's on HBO. Congrats!

PvO6ZWJ.png