DG_Now

The Sports Media Thread

607 posts in this topic

I think I actually stumbled onto a great idea. Put a bunch of YouTube blowhards on Fox Sports 1. Frank the Tank. Eat Da P***y. A million others. Pay them nothing. People watch and call them stupid, etc. Profit.

It's Embrace Debate stretched to its natural conclusion.

2 hours ago, GFB said:

Let's see what's going on over at FS1:

You know, if Fox's strategy was to pick up blowhards like Whitlock, Cowherd, and Bayless only to publicly roast them on a daily basis... I have to admit, I'd watch that. 

(not that putting microphones in front of Lavar Ball on a regular basis is a great idea either)

http://awfulannouncing.com/fox/lavar-ball-jason-whitlock-dont-think-can-comment-anything-snacks.html

The trouble started when Leahy questioned Ball, the father of NBA Draft prospect Lonzo Ball, on how many sneakers his Big Baller Brand had sold. Ball told Leahy to “stay in your lane,” called her a hater, mimicked her voice and refused to make eye contact with her.

David Ross has joined the booth at ESPN -- weeks after major layoffs decimated their baseball dept.

12 minutes ago, Cujo said:

David Ross has joined the booth at ESPN -- weeks after major layoffs decimated their baseball dept.

I've only watched one inning of the Cards-Sox game he's doing but I think he's a good addition to the booth, at any rate.

Greenberg was a guest on the His & Hers podcast a couple years ago, and when he was asked by Jemele Hill how he and Golic get along, he said that their relationship is strictly professional, nothing more, and they're just two totally different personalities, on and off the air.  Hell, just based on Greeny's earlier comments on His & Hers, I can't say I'm surprised that there's friction between he and Golic.  It's not uncommon that there's friction between "stars" on TV and radio shows, because how much no matter they get along (on a professional level) with all of the years they've worked together, something will eventually come to a head.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, MadmanLA said:

Greenberg was a guest on the His & Hers podcast a couple years ago, and when he was asked by Jemele Hill how he and Golic get along, he said that their relationship is strictly professional, nothing more, and they're just two totally different personalities, on and off the air.  Hell, just based on Greeny's earlier comments on His & Hers, I can't say I'm surprised that there's friction between he and Golic.  It's not uncommon that there's friction between "stars" on TV and radio shows, because how much no matter they get along (on a professional level) with all of the years they've worked together, something will eventually come to a head.

But Greenberg really never wanted to be there and replace Tony Bruno.

From 2015 this interview with USA Today, followed by the public moves from his agent(s), mark the kindling in the fire.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/03/mike-and-mike-espn

“I accepted the job with the agreement that I would continue to anchor SportsCenter and I was anchoring 100 SportsCenters a year for the first 11 years we were doing Mike and Mike. The primary reason I accepted it because I thought maybe the executives at ESPN would hear my work on the radio and like it and it would serve me well in my goal to get a higher-profile position on TV at ESPN.” 

For the past 15 years, the two have often joked about their differences — one is a former NFL player (Golic) while the other draws from his experience in journalism and as a reporter (Greenberg). And even outside the office, they say, their lives aren’t that similar. The two live about 90 minutes away from each other and have kids that are different ages. So as close as they seem on the air, they said, their lives are completely separate once they leave the office.

They were never the same. Greenberg likely thought that Golic would you eventually be fired, ESPN would name new morning show hosts and he could move on to what he thought his (then) goals were.