MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Toronto206 said:

I just whipped up this recoloration of the old M's, but this is kinda what I was thinking. Obviously modernize the script so it's reminiscent of the original while keeping up with the times. These would be for the home and NW green alternate, with the trident on the caps, hopefully some sort of roundel alternate for the sleeve.

Mariners White Script.png

Mariners Green Script.png

Ye gods and little fishes, that color scheme is drab and boring.  There's a reason the Mariners use silver letters on their colored jerseys.

13 hours ago, Toronto206 said:

I just whipped up this recoloration of the old M's, but this is kinda what I was thinking. Obviously modernize the script so it's reminiscent of the original while keeping up with the times. These would be for the home and NW green alternate, with the trident on the caps, hopefully some sort of roundel alternate for the sleeve.

Mariners White Script.png

I don't see the Mariners type treatment on their jerseys as a conflict with the trident, and actually feel it would be better to just leave the trident as a mark instead of trying to make it a typeface. MLB has many teams (ie Dodgers, Yankees, Cubs, Tigers, etc.) that use a lettermark that is different than the wordmark on one of their jerseys.  

Our old friend phantom dreamer keeps getting retweeted by Paul Lukas because he's doing his old blue/yellow trident bit on twitter. 

No, the Mariners look great as is and don't need changes and definitely don't need to go back in time to a color scheme that never worked for them. They're the only team in major North American professional sports who uses navy blue and teal. I like the trident as a fun batting practice hat, but the S hats are far superior and should be the only thing worn on a regular game hat. 

The only improvements I'd make would be to incorporate more teal into the regular look. Go back to teal bills on the home hats and use a teal number on the front of the jerseys. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

6 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

The only improvements I'd make would be to incorporate more teal into the regular look. Go back to teal bills on the home hats and use a teal number on the front of the jerseys. 

I'd go one step further. I suggest that the team use teal in much the same way that the Orioles use orange. I'd implement teal scripts (with navy outlines) on the home and road uniforms, teal-billed hat becomes the standard at both home and on the road, and the navy alt somehow gets more teal. I'd also brighten the teal shade a tad, so it stands out better. It's a color they could really own in the league.

Teal is MLB's bastard stepchild. Three teams have owned it but none of them really want to embrace it. One team totally abandoned the poor kid, another team at least gives it food and shelter and some conditional love, the third team ignored it for a decade but is just now coming around to talking to him again but just not every day. Such a sad story. 

28 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Teal is MLB's bastard stepchild. Three teams have owned it but none of them really want to embrace it. One team totally abandoned the poor kid, another team at least gives it food and shelter and some conditional love, the third team ignored it for a decade but is just now coming around to talking to him again but just not every day. Such a sad story. 

you forgot a 4th team who abandoned it way before Marlins did

41 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

11 minutes ago, el_gmac said:

you forgot a 4th team who abandoned it way before Marlins did

Diamondbacks

Marlins

Mariners

and who?

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Who? Marlins weren't first? 

well no, technically Dbacks abandoned first and now they're playing with it again.

58 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Diamondbacks

Marlins

Mariners

and who?

Brewers 94-99

doesn't looks green to me, unless i'

5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The Brewers never wore teal.  They wore green accents from 1994-99.

doesn't looks green to me, unless i'm going colorblind 

IMG_4124.JPG

Put it next to the Mariners and it's a close match

7 minutes ago, el_gmac said:

doesn't looks green to me, unless i'm going colorblind 

IMG_4124.JPG

It may look a little like a bluish-green in some photos, but that's on the photos.  The color was actually a pretty true green.  And the club never called it anything but green.  

ccsgwiae5gteohwesed5mv337.png

I know the names are subjective and therefore pretty meaningless, but it's a real stretch to make that teal. 

1 minute ago, tohasbo said:

I was thinking Tampa Bay but I do not recall them ever having teal in their identity

Teal may have been part of the gradient era, but the rays primary colors at that time were black and purple.  Then green and black era, followed by the current double blue era.

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

It may look like a bluish-green in some photos, but that's on the photos.  The color was actually a pretty true green.  And the club never called it anything but green.  

I know the names are subjective and therefore pretty meaningless, but it's a real stretch to make that teal. 

of course they're not going to call it teal becasue they would have been admitting to just straight copy their Seattle counterparts. They did jumped on the teal bandwagon

No, they really didn't.  Look at the official logos, not random photos.   I don't know if I'd call that "hunter green", as the Brewers did, but I sure wouldn't call it "teal".  Not unless we adopt a definition so expansive as to encompass a very wide variety of greens.

Archived