2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

This is the only sport that does this nonsense too. If a baseball player wears #24 nobody accuses them of disrespecting Willie Mays. 

Well to be fair, the NHL is the league where the superstars wear uncommon numbers (99, 66, 87, 97). But really, who cares? I like that Ho-Sang is wearing 66 just as much as I like him as a player, which is a lot.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

25 minutes ago, FGM13 said:

Well to be fair, the NHL is the league where the superstars wear uncommon numbers (99, 66, 87, 97). But really, who cares? I like that Ho-Sang is wearing 66 just as much as I like him as a player, which is a lot.

I see your point, but a bunch of players have worn 77 without anyone worrying about Ray Bourque or Paul Coffey's legacy. Doug Weight said he wore 93 and Doug Gilmour didn't care. And I don't remember any outrage (maybe there was some, I honestly don't remember) when Liam O'Brien first wore 87 for the Caps.

8 hours ago, 2001mark said:

It would merely take another 2-3 players to debut/change to #66 for this to really stop being a thing.

That it's one single guy making a debut makes it clickbait.

And he's a black Asian Jew who's already known for having an outsize personality. If Gord Lumchuk who gets pucks deep does it, no one cares.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The controversy is stupid. As pointed out above, plenty of people wear numbers of other superstars, like 9 and 4.  The only thing that sets this apart is that it's an unusual number.  That does not make it Lemieux's any more than 9 belongs to Howe.  Unless the league wants to retire 66 (and I don't think it should have retired 99), it's available.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Is this an actual controversy? Every article I've seen just says "some" are angry, but there's nothing resembling an actual quote from anyone who's against this. Is this fake news? Are we just drumming up outrage over an imaginary group of people's outrage?

WHO'S ACTUALLY AGAINST THIS?

Brian Lawton was against it on NHL Network a few nights ago, but f*** that guy he wore #98! The controversy, like most bad things in hockey, can be traced back to Penguins fans. 

I like the kid because he chose to wear #66. That takes guts. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Hear me out here: what if he had a number that could honor Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky at the same time? I'm sure by evenly dividing between two beloved legends of the game, no one could possibly find an issue.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

35 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Hear me out here: what if he had a number that could honor Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky at the same time? I'm sure by evenly dividing between two beloved legends of the game, no one could possibly find an issue.

Are you suggesting Ho-Sang should've chosen the number...69?

Nice.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Only if he changes his last name to Jimmylegs.

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Brian Lawton was against it on NHL Network a few nights ago, but f*** that guy he wore #98! The controversy, like most bad things in hockey, can be traced back to Penguins fans. 

That's hilarious.  If I recall, he chose that number because he was going to be almost as good as Gretzky.  He eventually was a bust and changed his number to 8.  He's not the first person that should be critical of this.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Brian Lawton has much bigger things to worry about. Like being Brian Lawton.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I said it before: Ho-Sang should be allowed to wear whatever number he feels like. I mean, it's not like he's the only guy to wear 66 since Mario retired. The only other player is T.J. Brodie, and he wore it for his rookie campaign. 

Yeesh.... 73 (Another unusual number) was only worn by Mike Ryder up until a few years back, not we have a few guys that wear it. Even Brenden Gallagher wore it until Ryder was traded back to the Habs, thus his switch to 11. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

22 hours ago, cmm said:

This "controversy" is beyond stupid. I guess Justin Schultz shouldn't wear #4 for the Penguins since that was Bobby Orr's number.

66.png

It's always awesome to see one of the great names in hockey history ... Gino Odjick.

I saw, I came, I left.

This is a NON-ISSUE. If he had requested to wear #66 for the Penguins and was denied by Mario, then STILL chose to wear #66, then yes, this would be news worthy. However, this is not the case. Move along. 

nothing_to_see_here.jpg

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

23 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Tonight's game in Vancouver felt like a Habs home game. Is this why Tampa Bay banned Canadiens jerseys from their building?

Oof, fact check to aisle 5. 

Habs apparel was banned from the most premium club seats (not much hockey apparel there at all, but I digress), not from the building. 

Generally speaking, the ones who come down here rival the degenerates from Philly and Boston. That's why. I can see both sides. 

19 hours ago, The Six said:

Is this an actual controversy? Every article I've seen just says "some" are angry, but there's nothing resembling an actual quote from anyone who's against this. Is this fake news? Are we just drumming up outrage over an imaginary group of people's outrage?

WHO'S ACTUALLY AGAINST THIS?

Pittsburgh sports media has been frothing about it, because it's Lemieux country and Pittsburgh is America's second-dumbest sports media market, behind Boston.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived