Thrift Store Gems 2017

johnnysama

2 hours ago, dont care said:

It shows he never played a game so it's game issued not game worn technically, there is no way of telling if the Peca jersey is game worn without a CoA

After some research, it appears that he was brought in (or at least activated) mid-season. I own a 2003 gamer of a mid-season signee with a very poorly-stitched nameplate. Given the slapdash stitching on the nameplate of this Oilers jersey, this one was likely re-purposed from a prior Oiler, which was pretty common until recently.

FYI, photomatching is more reliable than a COA.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I don't think that's a gamer.  The numbers are all jacked up.  

They're really not at all, the jersey is just wrinkled... the tags on some 96/97 gamers seem to match the retail jerseys to the T, which makes things tricky... I'm assuming its one of those old stadium-bought authentics unless I can actually photomatch it, though.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

They're really not at all, the jersey is just wrinkled... the tags on some 96/97 gamers seem to match the retail jerseys to the T, which makes things tricky... I'm assuming its one of those old stadium-bought authentics unless I can actually photomatch it, though.

The 2 looks really off.  Look how off-center the black twill is against the silver -  that can't be due to wrinkling.  Look at how angled the base of the 2 is compared to the 7.  And the 7 shouldn't come that close the the top yoke.The 2 on the sleeve looks to be ok.   It's definitely a legit authentic CCM jersey, but the customization looks just a tad suspect.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

35 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The 2 looks really off.  Look how off-center the black twill is against the silver -  that can't be due to wrinkling.  Look at how angled the base of the 2 is compared to the 7.  And the 7 shouldn't come that close the the top yoke.The 2 on the sleeve looks to be ok.   It's definitely a legit authentic CCM jersey, but the customization looks just a tad suspect.

Ahh, I thought you meant damaged! Good call on the numbers, didn't notice how crooked they are... I do own a certified Bills gamer with crooked numbers too, though. Again, unless I find a photomatch, I assume it was store-bought, but I have certainly seen (and own) worse.

2 hours ago, dont care said:

It shows he never played a game so it's game issued not game worn technically, there is no way of telling if the Peca jersey is game worn without a CoA

If you're talking about the Simon jersey, it could have been worn in preseason.

All around great finds, though. That's why I love this thread!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Got this for a buck.. it's worn but I thought it was neat. Old D-Backs cap. If anyone can figure out what year this is from I'd appreciate it. It's an authentic 59 50 New Era, but I can't find it in any game pictures

IMG_5517.JPG

14 hours ago, Moss44 said:

Got this for a buck.. it's worn but I thought it was neat. Old D-Backs cap. If anyone can figure out what year this is from I'd appreciate it. It's an authentic 59 50 New Era, but I can't find it in any game pictures

IMG_5517.JPG

This wasn't game used ,but if I had to guess it was from the early 2000's due to the use of black.

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

This wasn't game used ,but if I had to guess it was from the early 2000's due to the use of black.

I know it's not game used, I just couldn't find any pictures of any D-Backs wearing it so I don't know if it's a game style hat or just a fashion hat or something. Sorry for the confusion

1 hour ago, Moss44 said:

I know it's not game used, I just couldn't find any pictures of any D-Backs wearing it so I don't know if it's a game style hat or just a fashion hat or something. Sorry for the confusion

Fashion.

I'd be curious to see the tags on the inside, regardless.

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 7/19/2017 at 0:07 PM, C-Squared said:

Once-in-a-lifetime finds this morning... I popped into a random pawn shop today and almost walked right past the rack of obviously fake jerseys... I took a minute to sift through the rack and found these three gems for $20 a pop! I am 100% sure the first two are game-worn, 50/50 on the 3rd, but I need some help!

First is a 2014 Cordy Glenn Bills gamer with heavy game use:

glennjsy.jpg.1465230cc8301ad904b6f607dac2cfa8.jpg

Second is an odd find for the Buffalo area - what appears to be a 1980's vintage game-worn Houston Oilers jersey (any help on the player/year is appreciated!):

simonjsy.jpg.9448fbe65417ac91428fd45d061e5509.jpg

The third one is a home run either way, but a goldmine if its a gamer... a Michael Peca Sabres jersey, circa 96/97 since there is no captain patch... several puck marks:

pecajsy.jpg.da753d5ea4ceff0508c72c1179fd92a8.jpg

Jesus

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't had time to photograph everything from the last month... but a few recent finds:

Niagara University Purple Eagles Game Jersey:

DSC06104.JPG.372a5d0bebc11777fcac8c141c71bced.JPG

Buffalo Jills team-issued uniform top:

DSC06461.JPG.b764e2a8e0091abd0c6035c8cb23aac1.JPG

Nike Livestrong Cycling Jersey:

DSC06434.JPG.feb674ff4212ee417734473fc9c9e939.JPG

...and the best big-money find since a pair of NFL game jerseys last month... brand new with tags vintage Starter 9ers jacket!

DSC06464.JPG.70b420b2981ce939417618cf7f81cc42.JPG

I found a 2010 Seattle Seahawks game-cut jersey for $50 and a University of Wisconsin hockey jersey for $12, but since I have donated a lot of things @ my local Value Village (and have gotten a few "30% your purchase" cards as a result- I'm moving, is why), I ended up getting both jerseys for $47 after sales tax.

UBwef0L.png

Archived