CS85

2017 NFL Offseason: Firin', hirin', signin', draftin'!

Recommended Posts

Brass    1,605

More reason for me to believe that Brady is done after this season. This strikes me as a "might as well do it before I miss the chance to" decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HedleyLamarr    1,311
1 hour ago, Brass said:

More reason for me to believe that Brady is done after this season. This strikes me as a "might as well do it before I miss the chance to" decision.

I believe I mentioned the same thing a while back.  Patriots only made four picks in this draft, right?  Traded a pick for a veteran WR, spent money in free agency, pulled out of looking to trade Garrapolo...this hasn't been a "business as usual" offseason for the Patriots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cosmic    2,504
1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I believe I mentioned the same thing a while back.  Patriots only made four picks in this draft, right?  Traded a pick for a veteran WR, spent money in free agency, pulled out of looking to trade Garrapolo...this hasn't been a "business as usual" offseason for the Patriots.

You're not wrong, but IIRC they had the most cap room this year (somehow). It's not totally shocking that they spent a decent amount of money in free agency. Personally, I think Brady still has a couple more years, if not more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FGM13    677
27 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

You're not wrong, but IIRC they had the most cap room this year (somehow). It's not totally shocking that they spent a decent amount of money in free agency. Personally, I think Brady still has a couple more years, if not more.

 

He might be looking to retire before he starts to decline, though. Don't want to end up like Favre, playing past your best before date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brass    1,605
2 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I believe I mentioned the same thing a while back.  Patriots only made four picks in this draft, right?  Traded a pick for a veteran WR, spent money in free agency, pulled out of looking to trade Garrapolo...this hasn't been a "business as usual" offseason for the Patriots.

 

Yeah, this has been something on the minds of a few friends of mine and myself ever since the team signed Stephon Gilmore and acquired Brandin Cooks. This is not the Patriots typical offseason that we're used to 'round these parts and it makes me think that. The only other reason I can see for trading draft picks is that Belichick didn't think highly of this draft class, which seems like an absolute stretch. My money is on this being TB12's last season playing football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brass    1,605
36 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

It's not totally shocking that they spent a decent amount of money in free agency.

 

It is though, given that spending money in free agency has never been their M.O. They've never really gone out and spent a load of money on a top-tier free agent like they did with Gilmore. The only time I can really think of when they did was in 2007 when Bill Belichick fell in love with Adalius Thomas at the Pro Bowl and signed him to that 5 year deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cosmic    2,504
4 hours ago, Brass said:

 

It is though, given that spending money in free agency has never been their M.O. They've never really gone out and spent a load of money on a top-tier free agent like they did with Gilmore. The only time I can really think of when they did was in 2007 when Bill Belichick fell in love with Adalius Thomas at the Pro Bowl and signed him to that 5 year deal.

I know it's not usually what they do, but they had the 4th most cap room in the league (according to ESPN), and they only made four draft picks this year (3rd, 3rd, 4th, 6th). A high revenue team with a lot of cap space and without high quantity or quality draft picks... no, I'm not shocked that they made more moves than usual in free agency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CS85    5,236

Myles Garrett plays high school football:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dfwabel    993
1 hour ago, dont care said:

The coaches are probably livid.

This allows all starters the ability to sit the 4th preseason game.  Plus, the roster is at 75 for only a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rickyISking    812
20 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Tampa has been awarded Super Bowl LV in lieu of LA Stadium not being ready in time.

 

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/loosen-nfl-flair-celebrations-47589576

It's going to be cool watching the Bucs win the Super Bowl in their own stadium. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AstroBull21    551
8 minutes ago, rickyISking said:

It's going to be cool watching the Bucs win the Super Bowl in their own stadium. :D

Yeah....but hopefully sooner :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BringBackTheVet    4,173
5 hours ago, CS85 said:

 

 

Sucks for fringe players who may otherwise get cut early and have time to catch on elsewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now