Unrelated Teams with Related Names...

ColeJ

This one takes some explanation, so forgive me if it gets too tangential... but this is the only place nerdy and sportsy enough to even briefly entertain discussions like this.

What are some examples of sports team names that are related to one another in some way, when the franchises are in no way related? Bonus points if they play in the same league as one another, or if one supercedes the other in terms of the nouns used.

Example:

Both Vikings and Buccaneers could be described as Raiders, yet all three monikers play in the NFL simultaneously.

Also, Vikings are closely tied with both Ravens (Odin) and Rams (Thor).

Giants (NY) and Titans (NY/TEN) could be considered synonyms.

All Suns (NBA) are also Stars (NHL).

All Hurricanes (CAR) involve Lightning (TB).

Canuck (VAN) is just slang for Canadien (MTL).

Wizards (WAS) are practitioners of Magic (ORL).

Would Cavaliers (CLE) be considered Warriors (GS)?

Would a Cavalier or a Trailblazer be considered a kind of Maverick?

Forgive me. I've been awake at work for many hours, but I'm interested in seeing some other examples of these because I find this pointless topic interesting. Lol.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one I appreciate is Chicago having both Bears and Cubs. 

Also, many WNBA teams took their names or colors from their NBA team equivalents. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

2 hours ago, pianoknight said:

The one I appreciate is Chicago having both Bears and Cubs. 

Also, many WNBA teams took their names or colors from their NBA team equivalents. 

The Bears are named after the Cubs because they used to play at Wrigley Field, so I'm not sure I'd consider the two unrelated.

2 hours ago, Stu-BallsOmnicorp said:

The Bears are named after the Cubs because they used to play at Wrigley Field, so I'm not sure I'd consider the two unrelated.

And the New York Football Giants were named after the baseball club. The Washington team started off existence as the Boston Braves, also after the baseball club.  The Los Angeles Rams, née Cleveland, borrowed their name from the Fordham Rams, then one of the nation's most dominant football schools. 

We forget that pro football was considered very sketchy and third-rate for the first couple decades. Teams would borrow the name of more established sports clubs in the hopes that they might also borrow a little of their prestige. 

6 hours ago, ColeJ said:

Would Cavaliers (CLE) be considered Warriors (GS)?

Would a Cavalier or a Trailblazer be considered a kind of Maverick?

Cavaliers were Britains's Musketeers. Think knights trained to use firearms. So Warriors (NBA) would fit. As would Golden Knights (NHL).  

They were also loyal to King Charles I during the English Civil Wars, so "Cavaliers" ties in with Kings (NHL and NBA) and Royals (MLB). 

Seeing as they represented the establishment though? They wouldn't have really been Mavericks or Trailblazers. 

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Cavaliers were Britains's Musketeers. Think knights trained to use firearms. So Warriors (NBA) would fit. As would Golden Knights (NHL).  

They were also loyal to King Charles I during the English Civil Wars, so "Cavaliers" ties in with Kings (NHL and NBA) and Royals (MLB). 

Seeing as they represented the establishment though? They wouldn't have really been Mavericks or Trailblazers. 

They'd be Mavericks after the English Civil War but if you consider the Three Musketeers rebels they'd be Mavericks in France as well.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

They'd be Mavericks after the English Civil War but if you consider the Three Musketeers rebels they'd be Mavericks in France as well.

They would have been, but the English Civil War really demonstrated the shortcomings fedual-style armies faced when up against a fully professional army like the one Parliament had. Cromwell's Parliamentary "New Model Army" rendered the Cavaliers as a "class" of warriors obsolete. 

So while a lot of former Cavaliers were certainly royalist mavericks during the interregnum republic the actual class of soldier was more or less dead.

So much so that when the monarchy was restored Charles II just kept Parliament's New Model Army rather than rely on feudal conscription.

So you had an interesting case where a professional republican army was swearing alliegnece to the king while the cavaliers said army made obsolete just became officers :D [/nerd] 

NFL: Panthers and Jaguars (fun fact: panthers are not real they are technically either leopards or jaguars)

MLB: Marlins and Rays ( sea creature themed teams based in florida)

NHL: Hurricanes and Lightning ( weather themed teams)

NBA: Knicks and Spurs ( clothing based teams)

Yeah birds, horses, socks, etc.  I don't think we're looking for literals here.

Could be a stretch, but are the Eagles Patriotic since they're named not only for our nation's bird but for the symbol of the New Deal?

NewDealNRA.jpg

Edit: Obviously the Sixers are Patriots, as may be the Eagles, and I guess by definition the Nationals are in this club too.  Capitals?  While "Capital" is rather vague, the Capitol was one of their logos and is the home of the legislative branch, so I guess you'd hope that everyone there is a Patriot.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This is easy.

Patriots' logo is Elvis, who was from Memphis, which is in Tennessee (like Nashville), and was known as a Giant in rhythm and Blues, which is influenced by Jazz, which is played at clubs in Philadelphia where an Athletic Phillie, wearing a Blue Jacket, may have needed to be Brave and Dodge a trolley to cross the street to get to so he could order a Brew to enjoy with some jazz-loving Senators who Flew up on a Jet from the Capital for the convention.  How Patriotic.  

New England Patriots

Memphis Grizzlies

Nashville Pred

Tennessee Titans

New York / San Fransisco Giants

St. Louis Blues

Utah Jazzzzzz

Oakland (Philadelphia) Athletics

Philadelphia Phillies

Columbus Blue Jackets

Atlanta Braves

LA Dodgers (stretch)

Milwaukee Brewers

Philadelphia Flyers

New York / Winnipeg Jets

Washington Capitals

Ottawa Senators.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, Rj0498 said:

NFL: Panthers and Jaguars (fun fact: panthers are not real they are technically either leopards or jaguars)

now THIS, i did not know... and i just double checked to back up your claim, and this is now one of my favorite annoying facts that i will use to destroy real sports conversations in the future...

i already thought that it was odd, but acceptable, that two large wild cats joined the league at the same time... but now that i've learned that north american black panthers are actually just black furred jaguars, it boggles my mind.

panthers/jaguars is actually the best example of this for me now... that's better than raider/viking, giant/titan, or canuck/canadien.

3 hours ago, Elmos World 17 said:

The Giants and Titans of NY wasn't a coincidence. The name Titans was chosen because the owner believed that Titans were mightier than Giants 

Similarly, the USFL named its Oakland team the Invaders as a direct allusion to the Raiders.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived