Norfolk Admirals unveil new logo

BeerGuyJordan

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/4/2017 at 6:45 PM, rvrdgsfn said:

Man that brings back memories of the 64 war. (RENEGADES 4 LIFE!!!)

With that said, the logo is a bit of a throwback, it's an ok look, I think its better than what they had but that isn't saying much. I do want to see what this would look like on a jersey though.

Speaking of the Richmond Renegades...hoo boy:

56b54c6345421.image.thumb.jpg.68e9697149c768e009b74f0918b29257.jpgmatilevaughan.jpg.f4e4360da1400743eb2d73212cd5eeb8.jpg

Them boys had some of the wildest jersey designs of the '90s ECHL...truly "renegades" in that regard. (And I still look back on those days fondly as well.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

17 minutes ago, Buc said:

Speaking of the Richmond Renegades...hoo boy:

56b54c6345421.image.thumb.jpg.68e9697149c768e009b74f0918b29257.jpgmatilevaughan.jpg.f4e4360da1400743eb2d73212cd5eeb8.jpg

Them boys had some of the wildest jersey designs of the '90s ECHL...truly "renegades" in that regard. (And I still look back on those days fondly as well.)

Ah, the 94-95 jerseys were crazy but classic. The whole R jersey started ironically enough against the Ads I believe, they were only supposed to be for one night but we beat them 8-1 in game 2. Kept wearing them all the way to the Kelly Cup only to lose to Mississippi.

baltimoreravens.png

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, rvrdgsfn said:

Courtesy of their facebook page

22528926_10155108725993233_8599975601843312851_o.thumb.jpg.fcb4e3f03d533026e6629de74b831a48.jpg

I would love these as thirds. Not crazy about full-time set, though.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

2 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I would love these as thirds. Not crazy about full-time set, though.

I’d probably agree. I think it needs white numbers if the logo has that much white, and I think it might make more sense for the primary crest to just be the center disc as it used to be. I love the shoulder boards and the captain stripes, though, and as a logo, this is far better than the wordmark with the anchor behind it from the previous page. The L is a basic training gym sock for cryin’ out loud.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 6/1/2017 at 10:22 PM, BeerGuyJordan said:

Norfolk released their new primary logo. It's actually more of a return to a previous look, that happens to pair well with their new Nashville affiliation.

http://wtkr.com/2017/06/01/live-now-norfolk-admirals-reveal-new-logo/

images.jpg

Shoulder patch at best.  Font should be adjusted for the roundel. I'd prefer to see a live admiral with a hockey stick. This is minor league hockey! 

2 hours ago, umlegend1980 said:

I'd prefer to see a live admiral with a hockey stick. This is minor league hockey! 

That's more Milwaukee's thing, historically.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Sleeve stripes and epaulettes kind of take our national military fetish to its next step, don’t they?

True, but for a team called the Admirals, in the home of the Atlantic fleet, I think this works, especially for a minor league. It’s costume, and it’s fun, and I find it much more appropriate than a more serious camo/combat/Battle of the Bulge/Wounded Warrior/et al uniform.

I think it’s maybe a touch too literal, but I don’t get the sense that it’s trying to be anything more or less than it is.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

4 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I think it’s maybe a touch too literal

Thats my real problem with it.   I find the Navy drag to be a little silly because it’s so literal.

it’s as goofy as teams dressing up in faux-lederhosen or firefighter coats or something.  Only infinitely worse for not being a one-off. 

On 10/13/2017 at 5:14 PM, rvrdgsfn said:

22528926_10155108725993233_8599975601843312851_o.thumb.jpg.fcb4e3f03d533026e6629de74b831a48.jpg

I like the epaulettes and the striping quite a bit. As other's have pointed out Norfolk has a huge naval presence and history, so having design that speaks to that aesthetic makes a lot of sense to me.

I think where things fall apart is with the primary logo. I can't help but wonder if the impression of "dress up" stems from the fact that the logo is so poorly executed and feels like an afterthought compared to the jerseys. I'm not normally one for just text on jerseys, but I feel like a diagonal "Norfolk" in gold (a la the Rags) would be a huge improvement over what they have now. Alternatively, I feel like a well executed rendering of a battleship (*not* the proportion skewing monstrosity they previously had) could help counterbalance the jersey and provide a more cohesive set. 

TL;DR - The jersey is beautiful and well designed...mostly because it rips off an existing design convention...and it highlights just how clumsy and poorly executed their new logo is. 

Archived