2017 NFL Season: Then there were Two

buzzcut

3 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

How far out of a thought is it to think in the near future, the NFL would figure out how to schedule a team to play games exclusively on Thursdays?

So far out it's in another galaxy.  It's absurd.  There's no fan base that could support a team on 8 thursdays, and assuming you're talking about a rotation, no ownership would ever want their team to be the "Thursday team".  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We keep hearing about the Cowboys injuries / suspensions.  The Ealges lost their #1 RB and kick returner, #1 CB for 8 weeks, a FREAKING HOF LEFT TACKLE, starting MLB, and best special teams player.

Part of being a good team is having depth.  I have no idea how long the Eagles can hold up with those losses, but the media wasn't making excuses for them because if them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Couple of random post-game thoughts after the Bills were crushed today:

- To give up 47 points last week, then go back to practice all week, make adjustments and then come out today and give up another 54 points is simply ridiculous. Rivers had all the time in the world to throw from the pocket and the Chargers had no problem moving the ball all game long. It was almost as if nobody was even covering Keenan Allen.

- Joey Bosa was directly responsible for at least four of Peterman's five INTs in the first half. The guy is an absolute freak. I think he even strip sacked Tyrod in the second half which led to another defensive TD.

- This team is clearly missing Marcell Dareus' presence as a run-stopper. Initially, I was okay with trading him to Jacksonville because he wasn't playing full-time anyway and the fact that his wok ethic has been questionable at times throughout his career. But now I see that this was an absolutely horrible trade by Billy Beane. I mean look at this:

- The Bills' front four has been absolutely weak this season. This unit was one of the best in the league just a few years ago, but right now they can't even lay a hand on opposing QBs. Jerry Hughes has been a huge disappointment and Shaq Lawson is looking like a potential bust after being selected 10th overall in 2016. 

- Sean McDermott CANNOT, I repeat, CANNOT start Nathan Peterman on the road in Kansas City next week. He will lose the locker room if he does this. Tyrod may have his shortcomings, but he is by far the best option this team has at QB going forward and it's not even close. Tyrod didn't deserve to be benched after one bad performance. It's not his fault that the defense is now giving up 40+ points per game over the last three weeks. 3 INTs in 9 starts > 5 INTs in 15 attempts

- It's becoming an annual tradition for the Bills to lose their top receiving weapons to injury. Kelvin Benjamin was carted off the sideline after a nasty looking hit to his knee, while Jordan Matthews was inactive today with a knee injury.

- The rest of the AFC is so bad that even the 3-7 Broncos are still alive in the wild card hunt. Kill me. 

42 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

We keep hearing about the Cowboys injuries / suspensions.  The Ealges lost their #1 RB and kick returner, #1 CB for 8 weeks, a FREAKING HOF LEFT TACKLE, starting MLB, and best special teams player.

Part of being a good team is having depth.  I have no idea how long the Eagles can hold up with those losses, but the media wasn't making excuses for them because if them.

Well, you answered it. It’s because the Cowboys rely on their best players much more than most teams. So when we lose them, our lack of depth plus an average coaching staff, leads to the dramatic differences we see in the Cowboys when we’re missing our stars. 

And to be fair, it’s not like the Cowboys players missing are scrubs. They’re literally missing 4 of the best players in the NFL. Still doesn’t excuse how bad our defense is when Sean Lee isn’t there though...

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Well Wentz looks like a below average QB, let alone an MVP, outside of that first drive.  

Their kicker is out after getting hit in the head on the opening kickoff, so the kicker now is a backup linebacker that I've never heard of until today.  This should be fun the rest of the way.  Where is that puke emoji?

EDIT: just heard that the kicker isn't coming back, and the're going to be going for it on 4th when in field goal territory, and going for 2 if they score TDs.  Apprently the backup kicker's practice kicks aren't even hitting the practice net!

Crap - yeah the kicker is out.  They're blaming the head injury on the missed short FG.  This one might as well be over, unless the defense can score a TB or two.

Wentz was tested for concussion too.  It would explain some of his decision making.

And here we go... 2-point conversions from here on out.  If the Cowboys lose this one, then they don't deserve to be in any discussions for a playoff spot.

2 hours ago, Tracy Jordan said:

- Sean McDermott CANNOT, I repeat, CANNOT start Nathan Peterman on the road in Kansas City next week. He will lose the locker room if he does this. Tyrod may have his shortcomings, but he is by far the best option this team has at QB going forward and it's not even close. Tyrod didn't deserve to be benched after one bad performance. It's not his fault that the defense is now giving up 40+ points per game over the last three weeks. 3 INTs in 9 starts > 5 INTs in 15 attempts

This might be faint praise, but Tyrod Taylor is certainly a top 8 AFC quarterback, and he's definitely top 12 in the NFL. He makes good decisions, he doesn't get intercepted, and the team was 5-4 with him, even though he hasn't had a #1 receiver all season long. 

The truth of the matter is that the Bills have been trying to tank all season long, and probably are pissed that they even have 5 wins. They have all of those draft picks, and probably want them in the top 10/30 rather than top 20/50. I get that to an extent, except that the team hasn't made the playoffs since we've put 2's in front of the year. 

The Bills used to be a decent franchise. Now they just don't matter. 

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

18 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Very good and healthy league. Cleveland and Buffalo should be seized by the league, our government, or a foreign government.

The cities or their sports teams? 

Either is probably fine. There are still means of productions there.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

This might be faint praise, but Tyrod Taylor is certainly a top 8 AFC quarterback, and he's definitely top 12 in the NFL. He makes good decisions, he doesn't get intercepted, and the team was 5-4 with him, even though he hasn't had a #1 receiver all season long. 

The truth of the matter is that the Bills have been trying to tank all season long, and probably are pissed that they even have 5 wins. They have all of those draft picks, and probably want them in the top 10/30 rather than top 20/50. I get that to an extent, except that the team hasn't made the playoffs since we've put 2's in front of the year. 

If The Bills wanted to Tank, they should have just tanked. Might as well go for a full rebuild too. 

Tyrod is an underrated QB and plenty of teams would give up a good draft pick or 2 for him. Browns are always looking for a decent QB to ruin, and Tyrod could legitimately make the Jags a close AFC favorite behind the Patriots & Steelers. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Very good and healthy league. Cleveland and Buffalo should be seized by the league, our government, or a foreign government.

Move them to Los Angeles too! The more the merrier. They may aswell branch off and make their own league. Call it: NFL U12 League. Because we all know they play like theyre kids.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

There's a theory out there that it was the owners who forced McDermott to sit Tyrod for tanking purposes. If true, I would not be the least bit surprised. This franchise is a complete joke from top to bottom. They tried to meddle with the quarterback situation last year too over financial reasons. They wanted Rex Ryan to bench Tyrod for the last few games, but he refused to do it because the team still had a shot at the playoffs. Last Monday, McDermott was adamant that Tyrod was still his starter, and then out of nowhere he changes his mind two days later? I'm not buying it.

I was going to ask if tanking ever worked in the NFL, and the answer is it does if you get a great QB at #1. That list includes Matthew Stafford, Cam Newton, Peyton Manning, Michael Vick and Andrew Luck, but it also includes JaMarcus Russell, David Carr, and Sam Bradford.

But for all of that, the entire league could have had Russell Wilson or Tom Brady but passed.

The Bills are doing the Patriots deal by drafting a bunch of guys in late first/second rounds. Six high picks in the first three rounds is still pretty good, they also could have made the playoffs this year and had six value picks. The same way the Pats do it. It's all just a waste.

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

The cities or their sports teams? 

Either is probably fine. There are still means of productions there.

I just assumed Buffalo was Canadian during the Weekends anyway. 

Former Patriot/Cowboy WR Terry Glenn died this morning in a car accident. :cry:

He was a amazing during the Bledsoe era and a big reason they made it to Super Bowl XXXI. 

He caught Brady's first TD pass in 2001, Unfortunately he had also had a falling out with Belichick during that season and was basically kicked off the team and never even got the Super Bowl Ring. 

Ironically I believe he was also indirectly involved in the falling out between Kraft & Parcells. Parcell wanted a DE in the draft that year (1996) but Kraft overruled him and chose Glenn. Which led to Parcell storming out and saying it would be his last year in NE. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

Life's been good to me so faaar

Fly Eagles Fly, on the road to victory...

Philadelphia Eagles: NFL Champions in 1948, 1949, 1960, Super Bowl Champions in 2017-18. Philadelphia Phillies: World Series Champions in 1980 and 2008. Philadelphia 76ers: NBA Champions in 1966-67 and 1982-83. Philadelphia Flyers: Stanley Cup Champions in 1973-74, 1974-75

Archived