Seattle Sea Lions NHL Brand Exploration 2/1 Dark/Light Unis

hettinger_rl

This is still in the early stages, but I've put together a look for a Seattle NHL franchise based on one of the names listed as a possibility; the Seattle Sea Lions (or Sealions, SeaLions?). For the logo I'm taking inspiration from the AAU SeaWolves work I just did, I'm trying to work an "S" into the shape. and still use northwest coast tribal shapes. I've also been referencing photos of dominant male sea lions and using their distinguishing features (high forehead, prominent whiskers, thick neck/chest). This is just the first sketch, but let me know what you think of the look I have going so far.

2cekv3n.jpg

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Midwest_surfer said:

I like the style but it looks like it might be a little busy for a chest logo. The S would be pretty small. I like where it’s going though. This is a great start.

I agree about the S.

2 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

I absolutely loved your Alaska Anchorage Seawolves update and I'm equally enthusiastic about what you've come up with, thus far, for a Seattle Sea Lions concept. I'm very interested in seeing how this develops.

3 hours ago, hettinger_rl said:

2cekv3n.jpg

I've updated the look with a larger S and added some value to show how a 3 color scheme (Black, Grey, White for now) might play out. It's still in pencil until I get the proper lay out. C&C appreciated.

n2mvys.jpg

While I like both variations of the logo, I'm going to be honest: I feel that "S" in the second version of the logo is far too dominant in the overall design.

I actually prefer the "S" being incorporated into the interior of the Sea Lion's body, and feel that it could be made to "pop" within the design via a choice as simple as coloring. 

If I have to choose, I prefer the larger S.. However, it seems at times that logos can try to do too much, and I feel like this may be one of those times.. I personally think a fantastic Sea Lion logo as a primary logo, with a unique stylized S as a secondary would be a stronger and more versatile branding package than trying to cram everything into one logo.. I think of the Blackhawk with the head logo and the separate C logo.. It provides a built-in shoulder patch option as well as more branding options and versatility..

I'd prefer to see your skills on full display instead of having your Sea Lion logo be held back by the confines of having to work/force an S into the image.. Just my two cents

3 hours ago, WavePunter said:

If I have to choose, I prefer the larger S.. However, it seems at times that logos can try to do too much, and I feel like this may be one of those times.. I personally think a fantastic Sea Lion logo as a primary logo, with a unique stylized S as a secondary would be a stronger and more versatile branding package than trying to cram everything into one logo.. I think of the Blackhawk with the head logo and the separate C logo.. It provides a built-in shoulder patch option as well as more branding options and versatility..

I'd prefer to see your skills on full display instead of having your Sea Lion logo be held back by the confines of having to work/force an S into the image.. Just my two cents

Oh, my gosh, this. Just use the sea lion as the primary. Use the same patterning on an S and there's your secondary.

rATMcmK.png

Here are my marks so far;

The Sealion: Not sure is I need the white border or not.

2i6pi5t.jpg a2ufes.jpg

The "S": Not sure which direction (left or right) to go.

23kb2g8.jpg   167qmfd.jpg

An extra idea: (Seattle Hockey) The basic shape is the "wing" shape that the Seahawks use in their stripes.

x3aj9f.jpg

12 minutes ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

The top S looks like it has an upside down smiley face in it

That's all I can see. I would go for the first logo with the outline, and then the 'S' with the smiley face, if you change that much of it. The Space Needle logo is really good looking, too.

Archived