Best Cities to place fictional sports teams?

I like Omaha.

Homer pick since it's my hometown, but there is a passionate - and educated - fanbase there.  Husker football, Creighton basketball, College World Series and Mavs / Knights hockey.  Omaha sports fans are razor sharp across a variety of sports, plus the city has nearly a million people in the greater metro area.  Far bigger than places like Green Bay and on par with metros like New Orleans, Salt Lake and Buffalo, each of which boasts big-time sports.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

If you're gonna go fictional, go fictional:  Neptune.  The Crab Nebula.  :)

Omaha's good, Raleigh is good (because invariably it's "Carolinized"), Richmond, Louisville, Knoxville, Buffalo (because all one imagines is either actual Buffalo or maybe chicken wings), Quebec City, Indianapolis, Des Moines, Little Rock, Fort Worth (because people think of Dallas first), El Paso, Albuquerque... it's actually a pretty long list, now that I think about it seriously for more than about 60 seconds.

nav-logo.png

• 2 weeks later...

The teams in one of my fantasy leagues a few years decided to do something like this. There were a couple of goofs who put their teams in towns that have like 100 people in them. But most of us picked cities that we thought could be good homes for a minor league. The better ones were Portland, Shreveport, Omaha, Hartford and Tacoma. One guy put his team in Idaho Falls and another responded by putting his in Boise so there would be an "interstate rivalry." I put my team in San Antonio.

Population density of the US means pro teams (and big cities) tend to lean to the East. Therefore, I like using Western cities like Salt Lake, Vegas, Albuquerque, El Paso, Santa Fe, Portland, and so forth. 

Also, I'm a sucker for Mexican cities. We already have a handful of "US" pro teams in Canada (Raptors, Blue Jays) and that's not counting the NHL. I figure if basketball or baseball (especially baseball) can thrive in Canada, why not an expansion team in Mexico City or Monterrey? Or for that matter, all of Latin America/Caribbean, like San Juan, San Jose, Port-au-Prince, Kingston, Havana, etc. I mean if these are fictional leagues, travel considerations aren't a thing, so why not a hoops squad in Jamaica or Mexico? 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

• 2 weeks later...

Archived